Should Favre Retire?

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
No, at least not yet IMO.

He's getting rustier and making some passes that he would not normally make since he was backing up Majowski in the 90's. His passes still have some zip but not as much as they used to.

The Lambeau magic he wove seems to be wearing off. Right now, the Vikes are up 24-10 on hallowed ground. The place used to be magic but I get the feeling that it's midnight and no one wants to tell Cindarella that the carriage is a pumpkin.

I can see Favre playing one more year and GB going QB in this draft. Start in 2005 while having his heir hold the clipboard. Come 2006, grab a headset and watch the young guy work and be available come injury. 2007, retire and wait until Canton calls in 2012.

He's a great player who I have nothing but positive things to say about, but I think maybe it's time they start thinking future in the frozen tundra.

Reaction score
Avery said:
No, at least not yet IMO.

He's getting rustier and making some passes that he would not normally make since he was backing up Majowski in the 90's. His passes still have some zip but not as much as they used to.

The Lambeau magic he wove seems to be wearing off. Right now, the Vikes are up 24-10 on hallowed ground. The place used to be magic but I get the feeling that it's midnight and no one wants to tell Cindarella that the carriage is a pumpkin.

I can see Favre playing one more year and GB going QB in this draft. Start in 2005 while having his heir hold the clipboard. Come 2006, grab a headset and watch the young guy work and be available come injury. 2007, retire and wait until Canton calls in 2012.

He's a great player who I have nothing but positive things to say about, but I think maybe it's time they start thinking future in the frozen tundra.

Thanks for the heads-up, Captain Obvious.

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
Id love for him to retire . . .

I get so sick of him.

The NFL would be a lot more tolerable if he, Jerry Rice, and Marshall Faulk would just retire at years end . . .

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Midswat said:
Id love for him to retire . . .

I get so sick of him.

The NFL would be a lot more tolerable if he, Jerry Rice, and Marshall Faulk would just retire at years end . . .

They'll still talk about him on MNF and every other game after he retires.

And thanks for your amazing and introspective comments to the thread JJ.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Is a unique study. Most players bodies break down first. Watching him today his judgement, mind is going.........

He should retire.

Great game by Winfield.

2233boys

Benched
Reaction score
Yes I am tired of hearing about him he is about average now, nothing more, yet he is talked about like he is still the best in the game. Top it off he has by my count two NFL MVP's he shouldn't (one should be Emmitt's the other Barry's) and I can't stand him

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
boy Favre is really putting on a clinic today...4 official picks, and should really be 5...plenty of time for him to equal that postseason record he set a few yrs back with 6 picks vs the Rams...

for all the hype and man love this clown gets, he really does suck just about every yr in the postseason...turnover machine

David

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Favre can win a championship but he is still trying to do it Michael Jordan style in that he wants to carry a team and he lacks the skills to do that due to his age. Favre needs to do what Elway did by not making himself the focus of the offense. He needs to leave Green Bay and join a team that is a QB away from a potential Superbowl. The warmer weather would help too. Right now, it doesn't look like that there is many Superbowl quality teams that lack a QB so he may need to weight a year.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I'm quite sure he has the most ints in postseason history, can anyone find the numbers to confirm? I tried several places but couldnt find it

David

2233boys

Benched
Reaction score
Oh lord the Packers scored now Joe Bucks all over Bretts johnson. God I really hope that Packers lose. I can't stand hearing them talking about him for one more week, then the Falcons and the over rated Vick need to lose next week.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Please retire.......

Brett Favre
Emmitt Smith
Jerry Rice
Vinny Interceptaverde

DoomsDayD

Reaction score
Favre is going to go one more year and the media will be all over him next year if it is his last year. Can you imagine the media hype surrounding his last year!!!!!!!! Talk about digusting. Makes me gag just thinking about it.. Thank god they lost.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Every road game we'll hear this is the last time Farve will play at *insert name* and if he plays in Dallas let's hope we can keep him winless.

ravidubey

Reaction score
He should give it one more year. He once said he would only consider retiring if the game wasn't fun anymore or he felt he couldn't play his game anymore.

Well I'm sure 4 picks weren't what he was thinking about when he suited up today, and that's twice in a row he's lost playoff games largely because of his own turnovers.

But Favre has also been able to return strong from adversity. Give him a better defense and he can make it happen. I really think he should retire after next season though.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
For all his pimped greatness, Favre is only 11-9 as a starter in the playoffs. That is nothing to write home about.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
He should give it one more year. He once said he would only consider retiring if the game wasn't fun anymore or he felt he couldn't play his game anymore.

Well I'm sure 4 picks weren't what he was thinking about when he suited up today, and that's twice in a row he's lost playoff games largely because of his own turnovers.

But Favre has also been able to return strong from adversity. Give him a better defense and he can make it happen. I really think he should retire after next season though.

Those Green Bay teams of the mid-90's were a lot better than the ones they have fielded for the past 5 years or so. They had more depth and superstars on their defense such as Reggie White and Leroy Butler. Favre has played bad but he has done so in part because he feels he has to carry that team. That's why he forces a lot of passes.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
DoomsDayD said:
Favre is going to go one more year and the media will be all over him next year if it is his last year. Can you imagine the media hype surrounding his last year!!!!!!!! Talk about digusting. Makes me gag just thinking about it.. Thank god they lost.

It's been his last year for the past 3 years now. What makes you think next year will be any different. I agree the Favre sentimentality is getting old. Every year, the great Brett Favre will retire and thus Green Bay has to win a Superbowl. This act is getting old.