Should Howie Roseman be investigated for adding fake contract years to player deals?

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Iloka might be an upgrade over Woods and Heath. But with the cap room Dallas has, wouldn't you rather have had E. Thomas or T. Mathieu? With the cap room Dallas has, why settle for average when you could've had the cream of the crop?

What's the difference between:
1. Not signing players because you don't have the cap room?
2. Not signing players because you want to avoid manipulating the cap in the future?
It depends in what you prefer in a slot WR if you think whether or not Cobb is an upgrade over Beasley.

I'll give you Hyder. He not only was coming off of an Achilles, he was also moving from a 4-3 to a 3-4.

It took 2 years to clean up the mess that Chip Kelly created. Now it's just a matter of getting younger players on the roster, and having them ready to take over for the older veterans when the time comes.

You said a mouthful with "There are issues just like everywhere else" That includes Dallas. You have to pay players at some point whether you drafted them or are signing them in FA. All 32 teams have to make decisions on what players to keep and which players to let walk. And that's regardless of win/loss record, post season record, etc. You may as well reach out for that brass ring while it's within grabbing distance.

Which player has Dallas not resigned that has made them look bad for not doing so?

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
Good luck finding another NFL team that keeps all their players for the duration of their contracts. No he won't be punished, and no, nobody else will be punished unless they can get into the minds of the GM's, and players, to determine if it's some vast conspiracy.
The only way to change this behavior is in the CBA renegotiation. If they do, it will alter the way most GM's construct their contracts to players.

Fwed

Reaction score
Here is the question, are the Eagles paying the players more money up front to accept the bogus two years in their contracts? In other words, are the players taking more money to help the Eagles defer their salary cap problems? To me this would be kind of like a bribe. The players going along with a contract that automatically voids if the player is on the roster in exchange for extra money seems a little unethical even if its allowed under the CBA. Its kind of like a bribe. The player does not benefit from those final two years only the team does. Maybe its legal under the CBA, but its probably something they should remove.
It’s not that complicated. It is $ neutral to the players Just spreads bonus over more years.

PhillySpecial

Reaction score
Which player has Dallas not resigned that has made them look bad for not doing so?

I should've been more clear. I didn't mean to insinuate Dallas hasn't re-signed players. It was an all encompassing statement. To include all FAs. Those from your own team and other teams.

If as a Dallas fan you're happy with Iloka over either Thomas or Mathieu, then who I am to argue?

Fwed

Reaction score
The Cowboys HAVE been doing it for years.... they add voidable years to extend the pro-ration of signing bonuses and restructures

It is smart and legal

The Eagles have borrowed 17m from 2022 and 2023 for this year and next year's cap
And they will likely push a big chunk of unused cap into next year. Fluidity.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I should've been more clear. I didn't mean to insinuate Dallas hasn't re-signed players. It was an all encompassing statement. To include all FAs. Those from your own team and other teams.

If as a Dallas fan you're happy with Iloka over either Thomas or Mathieu, then who I am to argue?

I would prefer Thomas....but I also understand why they wouldn't commit 16m a year to him at his age and with his recent history.

PhillySpecial

Reaction score
I would prefer Thomas....but I also understand why they wouldn't commit 16m a year to him at his age and with his recent history.

I understand you have to draw the line somewhere when it comes to paying out salary. But when the opportunity to upgrade a position presents itself, and you have the means to take advantage of that opportunity, then why not take it? I'm just using Thomas and Mathieu as examples. But it could be any position. But staying with Thomas, I've heard it said that you won't find a player who prepares as good as Thomas does, let alone better. And him being familiar with Richard, and seeing just about everything there is to see by offenses, he'll get guys lined up to take advantage of what the offense is planning to do, or he'll make an adjustment according to what changes the offense made presnap. Iloka isn't going to give you that.

There is no right way or wrong way of building a team. The right way is the way that winds up working in the end. What works for one team, doesn't necessarily work for another team. If all 32 teams did the exact same thing, there's still only one that reaches the summit. Were the other 31 teams wrong with they way they built their team?

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I understand you have to draw the line somewhere when it comes to paying out salary. But when the opportunity to upgrade a position presents itself, and you have the means to take advantage of that opportunity, then why not take it? I'm just using Thomas and Mathieu as examples. But it could be any position. But staying with Thomas, I've heard it said that you won't find a player who prepares as good as Thomas does, let alone better. And him being familiar with Richard, and seeing just about everything there is to see by offenses, he'll get guys lined up to take advantage of what the offense is planning to do, or he'll make an adjustment according to what changes the offense made presnap. Iloka isn't going to give you that.

There is no right way or wrong way of building a team. The right way is the way that winds up working in the end. What works for one team, doesn't necessarily work for another team. If all 32 teams did the exact same thing, there's still only one that reaches the summit. Were the other 31 teams wrong with they way they built their team?
Damn, I want to be angry about this because you're a Philly fan but I can't. Good post.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score

Let me throw this out there.

Kris Richard runs the defense now. Kris Richard knows the player and what he can do. Do you think Richard wouldn't bang the drum the hardest for him if he felt that is what he needed to make this a special D? If he did do that, would Dallas have balked over a couple million? I mean, in the grand scheme....if you are willing to give a guy 12-13m a year, would you just say no if a coach really wanted him?

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score

Kris Richard runs the defense now. Kris Richard knows the player and what he can do. Do you think Richard wouldn't bang the drum the hardest for him if he felt that is what he needed to make this a special D? If he did do that, would Dallas have balked over a couple million? I mean, in the grand scheme....if you are willing to give a guy 12-13m a year, would you just say no if a coach really wanted him?
I'm thinking Richard just doesn't have that pull yet. Marinelli (needs to retire already) is still there.

PhillySpecial

Reaction score

Could be a different reason. Or a combination of reasons, each carrying a little weight individually, but in totality they carry much more weight.

Could be the Cowboys drew a hard line with salary and/or contract structure, length. etc. Could be Richard wants to stand on his own merit and doesn't want it being said "yeah, but without Thomas he doesn't accomplish as much. Could be Richard thinks he make do with any player. Could be lots of things.

Like I said, I was only using Thomas as an example. You could use any player at any position.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
You're killing me Smalls. I love hating the competition but you're too reasonable. You're not from Philly are you?

PhillySpecial

Reaction score
You're killing me Smalls. I love hating the competition but you're too reasonable. You're not from Philly are you?

Not from Philly. But eastern PA.

After my last post to you, I started thinking about Drew Pearson and his speech at the draft in Philly. Now that was fun. And Eagles fans treated it as fun. Nobody got out of hand. They just gave back what they got. All in good fun.

You can't hold it against all Philly fans for what some do. The bad fans (of all teams) are the ones who get the media attention. And it doesn't matter what bad deed a Philly fan does, it's always accompanied with the reminder how Philly fans booed and threw snowballs at Santa...……..more than 50 years ago.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
And they will likely push a big chunk of unused cap into next year. Fluidity.
I have been screaming this for years

Borrowing cap space from the future is not only legal it is the smart thing to do

It is an interest free loan WITH cash back...... if your bank offered you a loan and said here is $1000..... pay us back over the next 4 years with 0 interest.... and if you take 4 years you only have to pay back $800 people would be lining up to take that deal over and over