Should I be a disgruntled Cowboys fan?

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
1uf27Y7.gif
Think the envy of others aspect, if they didn't have a reason to hate us we could probably have won a few more games. I love it when we're dominant though, bully pushing around the smaller bullies, etc

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Whenever I log on to this board or any other cowboy forum, I encounter the disgruntled Cowboys fan. You know the type. The ones that ask the typical disgruntled questions. Why did they sign this guy? Or why didn't they sign this guy? Why did they draft this player. Or why wouldn't they draft this player instead? How could they not win that game? Or why did they bother to win that game?
And not just that. They have to make fun of the fans that are trying to stay positive. Or bring them down to their belief level. If a fan makes a post asking what we need to do in free agency, they will answer with the equivalent of 'what's the use?' Their answers will infer that whatever they do, it will be the wrong thing.
I get it. We haven't won anything in over a quarter of a century. We have a meddlesome owner. We are known as America's Team (worse thing to ever happen to us.) We have an atrocious defense.We paid Zeke. We paid Jaylon. We drafted Taco. Again, we haven't won anything in over a quarter of a century. God knows that there is reason to be disgruntled.
But I choose not to go that path. As do many of the other board members. We know of our challenges and our weaknesses. But we choose to ponder about what we need to do to overcome those challenges and weaknesses. When they sign a mid-tier free agent, we try to figure out how they will use them rather then complain about the fact that they didn't sign a top-tier player.
There are many ways to skin a cat and the Cowboys choose to do if with drafting well, signing second-level free agents and then turning those players into compensatory picks if they choose to leave. Yeah, we have missed on some draft picks but we are one of the best in the league at picking college talent. That's a fact, Jack.
So I ask the disgruntled fans that stay on these forums and others like it. Why? Why continue to be a Cowboys fan if it is so negative and depressing? Isn't it the conventional wisdom to purge things from your life that make you unhappy? I, myself, will not read, listen or watch anything Cowboys related after a tough loss because it hurts to think about it. So I understand the concept of out of sight, out of mind when it comes to the Boys.
Anyway, I know that this post isn't gonna change any minds or mindsets in regards to the Cowboys. And I know that everyone is allowed to be Cowboys fans, including the Negative Nancys in our group. I live in the Philly area so I see the negativity about the Boys every day. So I'm used to it.
Have a good day, y'all, and How bout them Cowboys!!
I'm a disgruntled Cowboys fan because despite being committed to building through the draft they don't put themselves in the best drafting position when they trying to win every game even after the season goals become unattainable. They refuse to tank. 6-10 should have been 3-10. We'd recover much faster from being a bad team if we didn't try to be mediocre all the time.

Tony Romo caused many seasons that we should have been really bad to be mediocre seasons. He cheated us out of a really good drafting position most years he played as a Cowboy. I thank him for the good seasons he gave us but they were far too few and it's not like he won us any conference championships.

Creeper

Reaction score
You say disgruntled, I say frustrated. I have been a fan for a long time, all during those Landry years when every year we knew we had a winning team and a chance to go all the way. Didn't always work out but we were in a lot of playoff games. Maybe we are spoiled a little by that success. It seems to me fans just want to win, and after 25 years of losing under the same ownership, and GM, despite players and coaches who have come and gone, how can we not be frustrated? Yeah, we have gotten better at the draft, but as we have drafted some better players, we have basically bailed out of free agency, other than to shop for bargain JAGs. And right now, while we are in the free agency period and we watch other teams, teams in our own division, signing "star" players to make them better teams, we sit once again and watch Jerry sign guys we have to look up to find out who they are. If you were back in high school and all the kids were wearing name brand clothes while your mom was shopping at K-Mart for irregulars, I think you might be a little disappointed too. Maybe not if you were getting all the girls, but certainly you'd be frustrated if the hot chicks never gave you a second look! That's what it feels like to be a fan of Jerry's team.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
This team has been the most talented in the division for many years but they just don't get the results they should. Remember, when the Eagles finally won the Super Bowl and they thought their poop didn't stink. The Cowboys swept them the following year when the Eagles thought they would repeat as champions.

Last edited:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
There are many ways to skin a cat and the Cowboys choose to do if with drafting well, signing second-level free agents and then turning those players into compensatory picks if they choose to leave. Yeah, we have missed on some draft picks but we are one of the best in the league at picking college talent. That's a fact, Jack.

The proof is in the pudding and all of that alleged "talent" hasn't won anything more than a wild card round playoff game. The Cowboys front office, and apparently some fans, have overrated the talent level of this team for years. For example:

This team has been the most talented in the division for many years but they just don't get the results they should.

They have some of the highest paid players at their positions yet those players have accomplished next to nothing, so let's be realistic about that "talent".

So I ask the disgruntled fans that stay on these forums and others like it. Why? Why continue to be a Cowboys fan if it is so negative and depressing? Isn't it the conventional wisdom to purge things from your life that make you unhappy? I, myself, will not read, listen or watch anything Cowboys related after a tough loss because it hurts to think about it.

You're projecting, which is why so-called "disgruntled fans" puzzle you. There was a time when the Cowboys losing a game ruined my week, then it went to a day, and now it lasts about 5-10 minutes. I haven't reached total apathy but my emotional investment is now minimal. Having low expectations (Thanks, Jerry!) leads to little disappointment, so continuing to root for the Cowboys is not "depressing" at all. If it was I wouldn't bother with them.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Whenever I log on to this board or any other cowboy forum, I encounter the disgruntled Cowboys fan. You know the type. The ones that ask the typical disgruntled questions. Why did they sign this guy? Or why didn't they sign this guy? Why did they draft this player. Or why wouldn't they draft this player instead? How could they not win that game? Or why did they bother to win that game?
And not just that. They have to make fun of the fans that are trying to stay positive. Or bring them down to their belief level. If a fan makes a post asking what we need to do in free agency, they will answer with the equivalent of 'what's the use?' Their answers will infer that whatever they do, it will be the wrong thing.
I get it. We haven't won anything in over a quarter of a century. We have a meddlesome owner. We are known as America's Team (worse thing to ever happen to us.) We have an atrocious defense.We paid Zeke. We paid Jaylon. We drafted Taco. Again, we haven't won anything in over a quarter of a century. God knows that there is reason to be disgruntled.
But I choose not to go that path. As do many of the other board members. We know of our challenges and our weaknesses. But we choose to ponder about what we need to do to overcome those challenges and weaknesses. When they sign a mid-tier free agent, we try to figure out how they will use them rather then complain about the fact that they didn't sign a top-tier player.
So I ask the disgruntled fans that stay on these forums and others like it. Why? Why continue to be a Cowboys fan if it is so negative and depressing? Isn't it the conventional wisdom to purge things from your life that make you unhappy? I, myself, will not read, listen or watch anything Cowboys related after a tough loss because it hurts to think about it. So I understand the concept of out of sight, out of mind when it comes to the Boys.
Anyway, I know that this post isn't gonna change any minds or mindsets in regards to the Cowboys. And I know that everyone is allowed to be Cowboys fans, including the Negative Nancys in our group. I live in the Philly area so I see the negativity about the Boys every day. So I'm used to it.
Have a good day, y'all, and How bout them Cowboys!!

Jerry absolutely will love fans like you.
Keep it up.:)

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Agreed. Again its not the player. But I can name several positions where this team can use help more.

They have the most comp picks in the nfl, and a high draft order pick

I think they should take pitts or slater if either are there

what position do you want them to take that is worth a number 10 pick?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Lost me at “one of the best in the league at picking college talent. That’s a fact Jack”.

Why don’t you take another gander at our draft classes. Some are above average but most are average or below. Plus picking a RB with the 4th overall pick shouldn’t even be allowed but I guess the league does it so we can all see who the biggest idiots are.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/draft.htm
Way to grind that ax! :thumbup:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
They have the most comp picks in the nfl, and a high draft order pick

I think they should take pitts or slater if either are there

what position do you want them to take that is worth a number 10 pick?
Player always over position, but Pitts and Slater isnt the worst scenario to play out in the top 9.
It will be entertaining what takes place with those top 9 picks, there are worse scenarios than Pitts and Slater still being there.