Should Jason Witten Retire?

kskboys

Reaction score
Escobar I remembering Jerry consulting Romo who he should draft that year.Yeah Escobar physically sucked,he ran a 4.78 forty and only 11 reps.Yeah let's draft Escobar in the 2nd round because he was not going to be a threat for Witten's starting position. Escobar could catch though,he had good hands and when Demarco Murray had that breakout year I think the team said this Romo to Witten all the time had to stop. Escobar started to see the ball more and after Escobar made that diving TD catch that is when he never saw the ball again for the season.Politics like I am saying. ...Gathers could have played this season because he showed in the preseason he was going to be a stud.Witten can't lead if he is on the bench 2nd string.....Witten needs to retire.He had his time and age catches everyone.IT'S TIME..
Is this a joke post?

You do realize that a player has to be able to create separation at the TE/WR spots, right? You do realize that Esco didn't fare well at his next destination, right?

Geez, you guys will believe anything. Politics. Put on your tinfoil hat, dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

timb2

Reaction score
Is this a joke post?

You do realize that a player has to be able to create separation at the TE/WR spots, right? You do realize that Esco didn't fare well at his next destination, right?

Geez, you guys will believe anything. Politics. Put on your tinfoil hat, dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then you believe Dave Campo was the coach of this team and not Jerry's puppet Yes Man

Hardline

Reaction score
If you took game tape of let's say 2007 and 2017 and didn't know there was a season difference in them. No one in this forum could tell his level of play apart.

Witten was never fast yet he gets open
Witten gets too many snaps but there's no one on this team good enough to take his snaps.
Until Witten's game ACTUALLY starts slipping or there's someone better he will play and play on a high level.

diver5000

Reaction score
Witten is slowing down and not nearly as effective as he was even a year ago. Time for him to start coaching.

Pants

Reaction score
Is witten getting 95% of the snaps because he demands it or is Garrett just too stupid to try something, anything to help the team long-term? Let him have a reduced role and get some young blood in there

foofighters

Reaction score
It hasn't been obvious to me.

What's obvious to me is that fans want him gone because they do the math and know he's on the back end of a great career. What's not obvious is the drop-off people like to refer to. He looks as slow as he ever was to me, and still blocks effectively. Catches anything that gets near him. False starts inexplicably when you don't want him to. Pretty much business-as-usual for him.
This is pretty much it. I believe he still compliments this offensive scheme (as much as I hate it) and if we take him out, we are going to struggle. I doubt he's holding anyone back. Witten is the least of our offensive worries.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
It has been obvious for atleast 3 seasons that Witten has slowed down considerably. He will be 36 years old next season and a big contract and we have several free agents we could use that money on instead of TE holding on and on fumes and glory of his past. Rico Gathers I believed was held back this year because Garrett's love of and loyalty to Witten. just like Romo needed to get out of the way of the future ,Witten needs to hang up the cleats.

I don't think Witt should retire until he's ready. I do think he should have a reduced roll in the offense. Gonzalez was never trotted out on the field for 90% of the offensive snaps. He was never asked to block. IMO Witt has fallen off as a blocker as much as a down field treat. We have blocking TE's who do nothing more than that, Hanna and Swain. I'd use Witt only as a possession-type receiver, that's all he is now. I have some hopes for Rico, not exceptionally high but hopes none-the-less. If he fails then my hopes swing to the draft

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Is witten getting 95% of the snaps because he demands it or is Garrett just too stupid to try something, anything to help the team long-term? Let him have a reduced role and get some young blood in there

I don't think JG has the cojones to stand up to Witt and say "you're roll in the offense is going to be reduced"

McKDaddy

Reaction score
If you guys could not see that Witten's BFF was going to make sure Witten never got replaced. 3 TEs drafted in the 2nd round Fasano I can understand,but Martellus Bennett never got a ball thrown to him because of Romo,and I remember Escobar at one point had more TDs than Witten in the season and then the last 9 games never saw a pass thrown his way from Romo.. Rico Gathers has to sit out all year because of a concussion??? No team politics were playing a part. When the Cowboys want to win a Superbowl the politics have to stop. Witten will be 36 years old and you have a TE in Gathers than can stretch the field and be a very special TE and he is getting held back because of POLITICS.

I remember Bennett not catching when it was thrown to him & being all around unreliable.

If Wit, JG and others truly love the cowboys & want what is best for the team, they should be honest about their merit in the great meritocracy that is the NFL.

kskboys

Reaction score
Or(even more likely), no one has beat him out!!!

Londonboy

Reaction score
If you guys could not see that Witten's BFF was going to make sure Witten never got replaced. 3 TEs drafted in the 2nd round Fasano I can understand,but Martellus Bennett never got a ball thrown to him because of Romo,and I remember Escobar at one point had more TDs than Witten in the season and then the last 9 games never saw a pass thrown his way from Romo.. Rico Gathers has to sit out all year because of a concussion??? No team politics were playing a part. When the Cowboys want to win a Superbowl the politics have to stop. Witten will be 36 years old and you have a TE in Gathers than can stretch the field and be a very special TE and he is getting held back because of POLITICS.
Gathers injury was a lot more than just a concussion, He also had facial and neck injuries from what I gather (and btw it's entirely possible that a severe concussion can keep a Guy out for an extended period, I recently watched a rugby match where a player made His comeback after 14 months out following a concussion, was that due to "POLITICS" too?).