Should Jason Witten Retire?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
If you guys could not see that Witten's BFF was going to make sure Witten never got replaced. 3 TEs drafted in the 2nd round Fasano I can understand,but Martellus Bennett never got a ball thrown to him because of Romo,and I remember Escobar at one point had more TDs than Witten in the season and then the last 9 games never saw a pass thrown his way from Romo.. Rico Gathers has to sit out all year because of a concussion??? No team politics were playing a part. When the Cowboys want to win a Superbowl the politics have to stop. Witten will be 36 years old and you have a TE in Gathers than can stretch the field and be a very special TE and he is getting held back because of POLITICS.

Yeah, Escobar is so awesome two other teams cut him this season. As for Gathers, you need to do some medical research. Guys have had their careers ended by concussions. Hopefully we'll get to see what he can do in a regular season game this year because right now we have no idea whether he can be a "special" TE or not.

kskboys

Reaction score
Why are some so obsessed w/ getting rid of Witten? What, did he rob your mother?

sean10mm

Reaction score
Witten was an all-time great, but the dude is falling off a cliff. He's AT MOST a role player now., and you don't give those guys substantial salaries.

I know he has no speed but he currently has the best hands on offense......let that soak in.

It's not hard to catch passes when you barely get past the line of scrimmage.

Yeah, lets retire our pro bowl TE. That should improve the offense.

Unironically, yes.

Why are some so obsessed w/ getting rid of Witten? What, did he rob your mother?

This post was stopped short of the sticks on 3rd & short.

Seriously though the cap space he's taking up can help the team more if it's spent elsewhere, that's the bottom line.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Witten was an all-time great, but the dude is falling off a cliff. He's AT MOST a role player now., and you don't give those guys substantial salaries.

It's not hard to catch passes when you barely get past the line of scrimmage.

Unironically, yes.

This post was stopped short of the sticks on 3rd & short.

Seriously though the cap space he's taking up can help the team more if it's spent elsewhere, that's the bottom line.

Witten's salary is cut in half for the 2018 season, and you are wrong. He is not that easily replaced by anyone on the current roster. Speed was never his game.

timb2

Reaction score
Yeah, Escobar is so awesome two other teams cut him this season. As for Gathers, you need to do some medical research. Guys have had their careers ended by concussions. Hopefully we'll get to see what he can do in a regular season game this year because right now we have no idea whether he can be a "special" TE or not.
Escobar I remembering Jerry consulting Romo who he should draft that year.Yeah Escobar physically sucked,he ran a 4.78 forty and only 11 reps.Yeah let's draft Escobar in the 2nd round because he was not going to be a threat for Witten's starting position. Escobar could catch though,he had good hands and when Demarco Murray had that breakout year I think the team said this Romo to Witten all the time had to stop. Escobar started to see the ball more and after Escobar made that diving TD catch that is when he never saw the ball again for the season.Politics like I am saying. ...Gathers could have played this season because he showed in the preseason he was going to be a stud.Witten can't lead if he is on the bench 2nd string.....Witten needs to retire.He had his time and age catches everyone.IT'S TIME..

Blackrain

Reaction score
Witten is the only consistent thing we have that has survived the dysfunction of Jerry and continued to play at a high level for a long time . At this point I feel his value in the locker room as a coach and mentor for Gathers is as important as his contributions on the field .

We have much worse problems than Witten . The guy is ALWAYS available and catches the ball, unlike other players that cant stay on the field like LEE and Smith that cripple us when they are out .

When he dose retire I would like to see him kept on as our TE coach

JustChip

Reaction score
It has been obvious for atleast 3 seasons that Witten has slowed down considerably. He will be 36 years old next season and a big contract and we have several free agents we could use that money on instead of TE holding on and on fumes and glory of his past. Rico Gathers I believed was held back this year because Garrett's love of and loyalty to Witten. just like Romo needed to get out of the way of the future ,Witten needs to hang up the cleats.

Witten was never a speed merchant. My guess is you're perception of "has slowed down considerably" is just parroting what you've heard other posters and people say. He has probably slowed, father time catches up with all of us, as it has with Larry Fitzgerald. But that doesn't mean that he's not effective in the total aspect of what this team expects from the TE position. I like Hannah, Swaim and the POTENTIAL of Gathers. But the potential for Gathers is just that, potential. I don't believe he got any reps on the practice squad this year so it is largely a lost year for him. I'm not in favor of spending a high draft pick on a TE this year - maybe one of 4th round comp or later is ok.

Maybe his salary of $6.5m is high, but I seriously doubt they're going to cut him. However, I'm sure he would be open to some type of restructure if they needed him to. Say do something like rework to a 2 year, $1m salary with $5.5 bonus. He'll still get $6.5m this year, but drop the cap hit $2.75m. I don't expect him to play after this year so that's at the expense of next year, but the cap is in much, much better shape to have the $2.75m dead money hit in 2019.

RD21

Reaction score
I would keep Witten. His worth to the team is much greater than the lines on a stat sheet.

Do we have anybody on the team who's '17 catches/yds/etc that were off the charts..?

Do we have another tight end that can block as well as Witten ..?

Witten is a COMPLETE TE. Very few of them exist in the league. His value is understated by many, & his loss will be felt when he retires. Personally, I think he's got another year (or two) in him. There isn't a single player on this team I'd rather see win a super bowl than #82.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Witten was a great TE. Bench is cool with me. Need a TE with some speed and catching ability.

lukin2006

Reaction score
No, upgrade the WR position with speed, use Witten to get those easy 7-8 yards, just don’t count on him getting first downs if the ball is thrown short of the marker.

Address the TE position in this draft...

diver5000

Reaction score
Keep Witten if he agrees to a pay cut like Dez will. If not, cut both of these aging prima-donna's

DFWJC

Reaction score
If you guys could not see that Witten's BFF was going to make sure Witten never got replaced. 3 TEs drafted in the 2nd round Fasano I can understand,but Martellus Bennett never got a ball thrown to him because of Romo,and I remember Escobar at one point had more TDs than Witten in the season and then the last 9 games never saw a pass thrown his way from Romo.. Rico Gathers has to sit out all year because of a concussion??? No team politics were playing a part. When the Cowboys want to win a Superbowl the politics have to stop. Witten will be 36 years old and you have a TE in Gathers than can stretch the field and be a very special TE and he is getting held back because of POLITICS.
That's really preposterous

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score

Yeah those politics sure helped Romo get back on the field in 2016. Bad take here.

Xelda

Reaction score
Cutting him improves his odds of getting a ring, to be fair.
Jason Witten isn't going to play for another team. He is hard core loyal after devoting his entire professional career to the Dallas Cowboys. It's sad for any fan to think one of our players has to go to another team to get a Super Bowl ring. I'm not saying I don't understand your logic, I do. I believe we'd have gotten to the Super Bowl if not for the criminal referee's call in GB not that long ago.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
Jason Witten isn't going to play for another team. He is hard core loyal after devoting his entire professional career to the Dallas Cowboys. It's sad for any fan to think one of our players has to go to another team to get a Super Bowl ring. I'm not saying I don't understand your logic, I do. I believe we'd have gotten to the Super Bowl if not for the criminal referee's call in GB not that long ago.

Tony only wanted to be a Cowboy as well. Damn shame.

Aven8

Reaction score
No, but he should be a team player and come off the field if it helps the offense.

But after watching the pro bowl Sunday the dude looks stiff as hell and slow.

kskboys

Reaction score
No, but he should be a team player and come off the field if it helps the offense.

But after watching the pro bowl Sunday the dude looks stiff as hell and slow.
Geez, listen. It's not up to Witten whether he comes off the field or not. That's the OC and the HC.

C'mon, guys, this is like Football 101 stuff. Who in hades comes up w/ this crapp?