Should media speculation be illegal?

superpunk

Reaction score
YoMick;1059045 said:
No need to post a "Solution" punk :p: ... it wasnt threaded as a problem... it was threaded as a question - reread it! :D

It is a problem. It has a solution. Don't watch stupid shows, with stupid people on them. If it aggravates you, why consistently go back for more? The only way they're held accountable is if people ignore them.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
superpunk;1059057 said:
It is a problem. It has a solution. Don't watch stupid shows, with stupid people on them. If it aggravates you, why consistently go back for more? The only way they're held accountable is if people ignore them.

that makes no sense???... but maybe there is a way to hold them accountable...

AsthmaField;1059028 said:
That's true... however, many mediots state their opinions as if they were facts. That's where I get bothered.

If you have an opinion then fine, state it... but don't act like you know for sure when you don't. That's a pet peeve of mine.

Like Bayless has any idea if Parcells really wanted TO or not. :rolleyes: He can't know unless Bill told him and I promise you that didn't happen. So, Bayless is merely guessing. However, he states it like it is a foregone conclusion and people who don't know any better take that hook, line, and sinker.

I see we are on the same page here... instead of "thats the way it is" post

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1059014 said:
No because this is only an opinion.

exactly - they can say what they think. you really want them gone, quit feeind their fire.

superpunk

Reaction score
YoMick;1059060 said:
that makes no sense???... but maybe there is a way to hold them accountable...

Where does their money come from? rhetorical, I'll answer it. Advertising. Why do advertisers elect to spend their money on this program? Rhetorical - because people watch it.

No viewers = No Advertising dollars = No show, OR reformed show.

Whining about it, thinking that doing that holds them responsible, only lets them know you're tuning in. Which fuels advertising dollars, which lets them continue being idiots.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
superpunk;1059074 said:
Where does their money come from? rhetorical, I'll answer it. Advertising. Why do advertisers elect to spend their money on this program? Rhetorical - because people watch it.

No viewers = No Advertising dollars = No show, OR reformed show.

Whining about it, thinking that doing that holds them responsible, only lets them know you're tuning in. Which fuels advertising dollars, which lets them continue being idiots.

That is not directly holding them accountable/responsible... I get your point, but... no.

Stautner

Reaction score
YoMick;1059009 said:
Watching Cold Pizza... you can see Skip Brainless foaming at the mouth with speculation and opinion stating and emphasizing them as facts?

It should be criminal.

Saying BP doesnt want TO... but because he has him that he has no choice but to play him....

:ralph:

There are liablitity issues if a member of the media acts recklessly and does damage to a person's career or reputation.

superpunk

Reaction score
YoMick;1059141 said:
That is not directly holding them accountable/responsible... I get your point, but... no.

It's the only way that could possibly work.

They don't care if you don't like it, as long as you watch it. It's up to you whether or not you make them pay for being retards. They keep their jobs for the same reason Britney Spears, Ashley Simpson and boy bands kept selling music - people are too lazy to find something better.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Under this proposal, sports reporting and pretty much every web site would be out of business. You ever notice how on ESPN their "insider" or "rumors" sections require subscription? Why do you think that is?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lenin-communist-flag%202%20copy.jpg

Of course it should be illegal comrade.

;)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1059165 said:

;)

Ah yes the home land where if I want your opinion I'll let you know what it is. :laugh2:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;1059166 said:
Ah yes the home land where if I want your opinion I'll let you know what it is. :laugh2:

And we will all laugh about your insolence to question authority over a glass of vodka at your funeral.:laugh1:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1059172 said:
And we will all laugh about your insolence to question authority over a glass of vodka at your funeral.:laugh1:

Plenty of ice in Siberia for your vodka comrade. :laugh1:

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1059165 said:

;)

LMAO... good one...

I just want to know WHERE DO WE DRAW THE LINE.... is there a line? is it too fine a line? will it always be like this? what about libel and slander or defamation etc....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
YoMick;1059221 said:
LMAO... good one...

I just want to know WHERE DO WE DRAW THE LINE.... is there a line? is it too fine a line? will it always be like this? what about libel and slander or defamation etc....

That is why there is a difference between news and commentary. I expect a news story to report facts and any mistake I expect them to retract the statement and make any other corrections. On opinion it is no different than it is here we all have different view points. Cold Pizza is not a news show it is writers giving their own opinions nothing more so that it for what it is worth.

sf49rh8r

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1059021 said:
Correct and no one said you had to believe that they are saying.

YoMick;1059009 said:
Watching Cold Pizza... you can see Skip Brainless foaming at the mouth with speculation and opinion stating and emphasizing them as facts?

It should be criminal.

Saying BP doesnt want TO... but because he has him that he has no choice but to play him....

:ralph:

bigbadroy;1059024 said:
i wanna punch skip in his big mouth!

Our only avenues are to not watch....or bombard EPSN with "Skip on Skip" letters and emails....maybe if our hatred is so strong and shared by others he can get canned....Remember Dibble got canned from the Dan Patrick Radio show....There's always hope....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
sf49rh8r;1059228 said:
Our only avenues are to not watch....or bombard EPSN with "Skip on Skip" letters and emails....maybe if our hatred is so strong and shared by others he can get canned....Remember Dibble got canned from the Dan Patrick Radio show....There's always hope....

They don't mind the response because it lets them know you are watching it. These guys are entitled to their own opinions and that is all it is. Guys like Howard Stern get a lot of hate mail and all that did was give him a bigger contract.

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
If you made speculation illegal all messageboards would be gone, and I would be turning you in to the secret police for a trip to the gulag.

ddh33

Reaction score
As much as I hate the media and wish they were more liable for some of their slander, I can't stand the stupid fans who believe everything the media says and pass it off as fact even more.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
AsthmaField;1059028 said:
Like Bayless has any idea if Parcells really wanted TO or not. :rolleyes: He can't know unless Bill told him and I promise you that didn't happen. So, Bayless is merely guessing. However, he states it like it is a foregone conclusion and people who don't know any better take that hook, line, and sinker.

See, this is just another example of passing an opinion off for fact. When will it ever end?!?!?!?.....

J/k

Seriously though, I think there really should be someway to hold the media accountable for what they pass off as fact. If they are stating their opinion they should state it as just that an opinion.

burmafrd

Reaction score
The media would never tolerate any other profession being allowed to get away with that THEY do all the time. If anyone thinks that libel and slander laws are any good any more, do a search and try and find out how many are filed and how many force the media responsible to even appologize. If you are in public life AT ALL, forget it. For all intents and purposes they can say anything they want to about a public person and get away with it.