News: Should the Cowboys Seriously Consider Moving on From Ezekiel Elliott?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
PAying big money for RB's is not how you build a team in the salary cap era.

Keep chasing the 90's though Dallas.

blueblood70

Reaction score
What are you doing on this board then??? Live your life it’s not your team to defend.
irt is my team as fan typically we support fans and team outside of debating games and on field play..when 90% of so called fans come in your and spew hate and negativity some of us will defend because we use facts not emotions and clueless FALSE INFORMATION..

Narratives that are straight opinion with baseless facts need to be shot down..

JonesBoys

Reaction score
90% of everything you said are wrong, its pure opinion ..thats why it easy to google locate information etc so im wasting my time debating with hard head who ignores true facts to carry a narrative over player they like to troll..

when opinions are so out of sync with reality's its not being fragile, its being real..

bye

Don’t take it personal relax. When have I trolled Zeke? I give my opinion and because you don’t agree I’m attacking you? It’s ok to disagree, you have your opinion I have mine. That’s what makes a good forum.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
irt is my team as fan typically we support fans and team outside of debating games and on field play..when 90% of so called fans come in your and spew hate and negativity some of us will defend because we use facts not emotions and clueless FALSE INFORMATION..

I don’t know how you are shooting down the fact that Zeke has a fumbling issue and has looked disinterested at times. You are telling me that Zeke is the same player he was in 2016? What facts do you have to support that?

Daillest88

Reaction score
The Cowboys should consider taking the hit on EZ, Jaylon, Amari, and anyone else who is overpaid and do mini rebuild on the fly.
Amari nooo. He’s still performing. Even with **** qb play he’s still gonna too 1000 yards

Daillest88

Reaction score
And zeke. He’s definitely lost a step and looks like he just doesn’t care , he knows we aren’t doing crap this year, always turning his damn back into people.. better offense line and hopefully more motivated next year he bounces back.. definitely wish we didn’t pay him tho. The Jaylon contract thi.. that’s all Byron Jones money right there.

aria

Reaction score
Love how many people say “wait until next year to see how the O line looks” to decide whether zeke is worth keeping or not.

What the hell was he paid 50 mil guaranteed for if he needs a top 5-10 O line to be worth the money? You don’t give a player, especially a RB, that kind of money if they can’t be somewhat of a difference maker on their own. The only significant difference zeke has made is giving the other team points with all his fumbles.

The majority of NFL RB’s would look better behind a top 5-10 line, you don’t need a 90 million dollar diva baby to be successful with that kind of blocking.

aria

Reaction score
I don’t know how you are shooting down the fact that Zeke has a fumbling issue and has looked disinterested at times. You are telling me that Zeke is the same player he was in 2016? What facts do you have to support that?
Lol, I have whoever you’re talking to on ignore/block and based on your posts I easily know why. I kindly suggest you save yourself the headache and waste of time by doing the same.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You can argue he should have been traded as he held out.
You can argue he should not have been extended.
MUCH harder to argue we should pay 24.5M in dead cap fees to cut him now.
It is far cheaper to flip restructure his cap hit down and ride out the 2 years of overpay.

Zeke's cap hit next year can be about 6M.

OR you cut him, go find another RB(who can run, block, and catch) and eat 24.5M???
This isn't hard.
You extend him and eat his cap cost when the cap recovers from COVID in 2022 or 2023.

That 6 mil cap hit or dead money isn't until AFTER the 2022 season.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I'd understand if we decided to go either way, although, I think the Dallas FO might choose to give Zeke another year. We'll see. To be totally honest, I do believe he could be replaced but whether it helped our cause or not is anyone's guess. I expect he'll be here another year but no more.

With a reduced cap next season there is zero chance the Cowboys get rid of Elliott after this season and because of his contract it probably won't happen until after the 2022 season. That is the biggest reason to not resign RB's.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That 6 mil cap hit or dead money isn't until AFTER the 2022 season.
Sorta.
The cap hit you pay in 2011 is your decision. It's just an accounting procedure.
His 9.6M salary for the year is already guaranteed so you can't get out of it.
You can either keep all things as they are and pay him a cap hit of 13.7M
Flip his base to bonus and pay roughly 6M.
Release him BEFORE the 5th league day and have a dead cap of 24.5M SOME of which you could defer.

So playing along at home?

Drop cap to 6M and keep him.
Ride as is and either keep or release him with post June 1 designation --cap hit remains same at 13.7M
Cut now and eat additional cap hit which I didn;t even do the math on because it won't happen.

OK, so here’s the deal. If the Cowboys released Elliott as a June 1 cut, there’d be no difference in their cap for 2021, but they would save $5.7 million on the 2022 cap.

Elliott’s replacement in 2021 would negate whatever offset saving there would be. His replacement in 2022 would negate $0.7 million of the $5.7 million.

It comes down to, is it better for the Cowboys to have two seasons of Elliott, or an additional $5 million of space in 2022 and $6.7 million in space in 2023?

That’s the trade-off. Release him prior to 2021 to get savings in 2022 and 2023??
Or save money now. Ride out 2021 and make a decision in 2022? I think this on is pretty easy to decide.
Reduce his cap hit and hope he performs better. You need him as you have no real replacement and he wouldn't provide you nay 2021 cash which is the cap likely to be the tightest.

If you read Bob Sturm you know Zeke has been the best back in the league since he entered.
BUT his last season plus has not been elite and depending upon what you care about perhaps not even good.
BUT again dollars and cents count a lot and most fans wanting him to just go away because they don't like him are just really dumb.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I've never seen a fit guy be called fat more than Zeke. lol. I do think he's clearly declined, but his contract makes him a Cowboy for at least another year IMO.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Sorta.
The cap hit you pay in 2011 is your decision. It's just an accounting procedure.
His 9.6M salary for the year is already guaranteed so you can't get out of it.
You can either keep all things as they are and pay him a cap hit of 13.7M
Flip his base to bonus and pay roughly 6M.
Release him BEFORE the 5th league day and have a dead cap of 24.5M SOME of which you could defer.

So playing along at home?

Drop cap to 6M and keep him.
Ride as is and either keep or release him with post June 1 designation --cap hit remains same at 13.7M
Cut now and eat additional cap hit which I didn;t even do the math on because it won't happen.

OK, so here’s the deal. If the Cowboys released Elliott as a June 1 cut, there’d be no difference in their cap for 2021, but they would save $5.7 million on the 2022 cap.

Elliott’s replacement in 2021 would negate whatever offset saving there would be. His replacement in 2022 would negate $0.7 million of the $5.7 million.

It comes down to, is it better for the Cowboys to have two seasons of Elliott, or an additional $5 million of space in 2022 and $6.7 million in space in 2023?

That’s the trade-off. Release him prior to 2021 to get savings in 2022 and 2023??
Or save money now. Ride out 2021 and make a decision in 2022? I think this on is pretty easy to decide.
Reduce his cap hit and hope he performs better. You need him as you have no real replacement and he wouldn't provide you nay 2021 cash which is the cap likely to be the tightest.

If you read Bob Sturm you know Zeke has been the best back in the league since he entered.
BUT his last season plus has not been elite and depending upon what you care about perhaps not even good.
BUT again dollars and cents count a lot and most fans wanting him to just go away because they don't like him are just really dumb.
I think you showed you have little idea about what and how Elliott's contract affects the Cowboys cap. First I have no idea what 2011 has to do with Elliott's contract. To start out with he has 4.5 mil on bonus money he's already received left that still counts against the cap and as of 03/22/2020 his 2021 salary of 9.6 mil is already guaranteed and because he'll be on the team there's another 2.6 mil bonus payment so that's 16.7 mil that will count dead money on an already reduced cap for next year. So why would Elliott renegotiate his contract after this season when next year's salary and bonus money is already guaranteed? Why would Elliott renegotiate a contract into one that would make it easier to cut him if they choose to do that? Here's a news flash for you your big contract modification takes Elliott to agree to it and I just don't see a player redoing a contract that makes it easier to get rid of him. and that's to much dead money to just cut him if he doesn't renegotiate.

jnday

Reaction score
Considering his contract, they absolutely should be looking to move on from Zeke. I don’t see Zeke being the difference maker in getting to a Super Bowl and with his salary cap hit, he should be.