Should the NFL have a mandatory retirement for concussions?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
After seeing what happened to Tua last night and the fact that he's had a second insurance where he went into a fencing position, I have to ask this question. Should the NFL have a mandatory retirement for concussions? I'm not saying one concussion does a player in. But, if a player has the amount of concussions Tua has had to where he has had a second instance of fencing, I can't help but wonder if the player should be entered into a mandatory retirement protocol. I would argue that after one fencing position, the player should be required to sit the remainder of the year. If there's a second fencing position, then I think the player should be forced to retire.

The NFL PA should have some sort of deal with the NFL where if this happens, the entirety of the contract should be paid out, and the player should be granted an extended period of the NFL's insurance policy for life due to the neurological issues that sort of concussion can cause.

What scares me about Tua is the possibility of seeing him die on the field. Watching what happened with Hamlin was terrifying. Yet, that was a rare circumstance. I read every so often about head injuries killing players in HS. Here's a recent article: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...high-school-football-player-dies/75101348007/.

"Christopher Garcia, a 16-year-old junior at South East High School in South Gate, died after suffering a brain injury during an Aug. 23 home game, according to information from family and the Los Angeles Unified School District."

Obviously, first and foremost, prayers for the family of Christopher Garcia. That said, this happened a few weeks ago.

Here's another: https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna168167

"A high school quarterback died after he was tackled and hit his head during a game in Alabama, officials said Monday, in the latest gridiron tragedy to befall a young player.

Caden Tellier, 16, was injured Friday during the third quarter while competing for John T. Morgan Academy, a private school in Selma, as the Senators played host to Southern Academy."

This was published on August 26.

The point is, these are two incidents that happened in HS. Now we are adding in the fact that this is the NFL with Tua. Here's a guy that ESPN's Get Up just stared who's had at least 3 (likely 4) concussions in his NFL career and one in college. Who knows how many he's had in HS? How many other players have had similar concussions to him? The last thing I want to see is him sharing the fate of the two high school players in this thread. Yet, what if he steps back on the field? Obviously, an athlete is going to think they'll be fine.

So, that leads to the question with which I have opened this thread. Should the NFL have a neurologist that can, depending on the amount of concussions, the extent of neurological damage, or any other factors they see fit who can declare a player medically unfit to continue their career? In other words, should there be an NFL neurologist or an independent neurologist who can order a mandatory retirement for a player, which kicks in the benefits that I think the NFLPA should put forth? I think the answer should be yes. Obviously, we enjoy watching these athletes play the game. Watching Tua is why players earn what they earn. That said, it may be time for the NFL to do right by the players and have a neurologist who can order a player to retire, and the player receive sufficient benefits in the case of a concussion-based retirement.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Another example of the NFL and NFLPA's hypocrisy about so called player safety.
They talk so much about it and this is an area where there is a tremendous amount of research data on.

For years in boxing the effects of continuous head injuries and blows has been documented. and now a lot in the NFL and other sports as well. Especially in the last twenty years the medical field has learned about the effect of continuous trauma and how one build upon another.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Another example of the NFL and NFLPA's hypocrisy about so called player safety.
They talk so much about it and this is an area where there is a tremendous amount of research data on.

For years in boxing the effects of continuous head injuries and blows has been documented. and now a lot in the NFL and other sports as well. Especially in the last twenty years the medical field has learned about the effect of continuous trauma and how one build upon another.

For sure, and that's why I'm saying they might need to develop a required medical retirement plan.

rags747

Reaction score
After seeing what happened to Tua last night and the fact that he's had a second insurance where he went into a fencing position, I have to ask this question. Should the NFL have a mandatory retirement for concussions? I'm not saying one concussion does a player in. But, if a player has the amount of concussions Tua has had to where he has had a second instance of fencing, I can't help but wonder if the player should be entered into a mandatory retirement protocol. I would argue that after one fencing position, the player should be required to sit the remainder of the year. If there's a second fencing position, then I think the player should be forced to retire.

The NFL PA should have some sort of deal with the NFL where if this happens, the entirety of the contract should be paid out, and the player should be granted an extended period of the NFL's insurance policy for life due to the neurological issues that sort of concussion can cause.

What scares me about Tua is the possibility of seeing him die on the field. Watching what happened with Hamlin was terrifying. Yet, that was a rare circumstance. I read every so often about head injuries killing players in HS. Here's a recent article: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...high-school-football-player-dies/75101348007/.

"Christopher Garcia, a 16-year-old junior at South East High School in South Gate, died after suffering a brain injury during an Aug. 23 home game, according to information from family and the Los Angeles Unified School District."

Obviously, first and foremost, prayers for the family of Christopher Garcia. That said, this happened a few weeks ago.

Here's another: https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna168167

"A high school quarterback died after he was tackled and hit his head during a game in Alabama, officials said Monday, in the latest gridiron tragedy to befall a young player.

Caden Tellier, 16, was injured Friday during the third quarter while competing for John T. Morgan Academy, a private school in Selma, as the Senators played host to Southern Academy."

This was published on August 26.

The point is, these are two incidents that happened in HS. Now we are adding in the fact that this is the NFL with Tua. Here's a guy that ESPN's Get Up just stared who's had at least 3 (likely 4) concussions in his NFL career and one in college. Who knows how many he's had in HS? How many other players have had similar concussions to him? The last thing I want to see is him sharing the fate of the two high school players in this thread. Yet, what if he steps back on the field? Obviously, an athlete is going to think they'll be fine.

So, that leads to the question with which I have opened this thread. Should the NFL have a neurologist that can, depending on the amount of concussions, the extent of neurological damage, or any other factors they see fit who can declare a player medically unfit to continue their career? In other words, should there be an NFL neurologist or an independent neurologist who can order a mandatory retirement for a player, which kicks in the benefits that I think the NFLPA should put forth? I think the answer should be yes. Obviously, we enjoy watching these athletes play the game. Watching Tua is why players earn what they earn. That said, it may be time for the NFL to do right by the players and have a neurologist who can order a player to retire, and the player receive sufficient benefits in the case of a concussion-based retirement.
Policy is what in the UK?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Soccer players never get concussed? Are any of them forced to retire?

I'm sure they do get concussed. They have a rule where a team gets an extra sub if there's concern for a player with a head injury. What I don't know is if they have a forced retirement thing. I was writing my OP because I think I'd rather have a forced retirement than see a player like Tua potentially end up dead or paralysed if he gets another concussion.

gtb1943

Reaction score
You cannot force anyone to no longer work Imo. Soldiers are concussed daily and no one says a peep.
and that makes it right?
Medical criteria for positions have been around a very long time. Simply put it that if you have had like four or five concussions then you are no longer considered for a position on the field of the NFL. I can see the NFL signing off on this because it appeals to the nanny state types. It also makes it look like they care.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
and that makes it right?
Medical criteria for positions have been around a very long time. Simply put it that if you have had like four or five concussions then you are no longer considered for a position on the field of the NFL. I can see the NFL signing off on this because it appeals to the nanny state types. It also makes it look like they care.

I think it's also a case of, concussions affect different people differently, but if someone is clearly fencing on two separate occasions, that's when a neurologist should really examine someone to see if they should even still play period.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I think it's also a case of, concussions affect different people differently, but if someone is clearly fencing on two separate occasions, that's when a neurologist should really examine someone to see if they should even still play period.
In all the times I watched Staubach and Aikman play, I don't recall them fencing/seizing in that matter. Perhaps my memories are wrong, but I did see both get bludgeoned in the head several times. It amazes me how good they are doing post-NFL.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
In all the times I watched Staubach and Aikman play, I don't recall them fencing/seizing in that matter. Perhaps my memories are wrong, but I did see both get bludgeoned in the head several times. It amazes me how good they are doing post-NFL.

I mean, that's why I was saying that concussions affect different people differently, but someone like Tua might have some rough futures as it is. I just want him to not add to that or worse.

rags747

Reaction score
How do u tell someone that they can no longer work and provide for their family?! Bigtime court cases with something like that.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
How do u tell someone that they can no longer work and provide for their family?! Bigtime court cases with something like that.

I can see that, I don't know. I just can't help but wonder about Tua. I just dont want to see a game where someone like Tua gets hit the wrong way and dies after all the concussions he's had already.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Bigtime court cases can also be brought up if they let him play and he gets severely injured or dies. A claim can be made the NFL hasn't done enough. Essentially, the CTE lawsuit did just that. A tough spot and hard decisions to be made for player(s) and league.

DZSierra

Reaction score
How do u tell someone that they can no longer work and provide for their family?!
His salary is 212 million. I believe he can walk away with 100 million if he retires. We should all be so blessed.

Don't be a fool with that kind of money, and you'll live comfortably the rest of your life.

Flamma

Reaction score
It won't work. They won't be able to determine why a player should retire. You have to believe they have already looked Tua over extensively. What did they find? Nothing. Similar to what they'd find in my head.

I have no proof, but I think there is something allowing him to get concussed easier. I've seen hits like the one he took a lot in this league. Worse hits. Yet Tua is back in the fencing position.

His first concussion that was supposedly not a concussion, all he did was fall backwards. Yeah his head hit the ground, but so do a lot of player's head touch the ground. Same thing against GB, they should not be concussions.

Jipper

Reaction score
His body his choice- not something that they can mandate especially bc not all injuries are created equal and not all bodies tolerate the same way

Flamma

Reaction score
His body his choice- not something that they can mandate especially bc not all injuries are created equal and not all bodies tolerate the same way
This is a good post. His body is telling him to retire, LOL. But I agree it's his choice. The dude probably wants to play. But he really has to be careful. Don't be charging head first ever. Dive to an open space.