Should the NFL have a mandatory retirement for concussions?

gtb1943

Reaction score
I see a big lawsuit coming from his family.

Of course it is his choice but they could claim that the NFL let him get his brain scrambled and thus he could no longer make good choices.

I simply see this as a way to prevent future tragedies. And while I despise goofsmell and the NFL front office, I do not want to see it.

Jipper

Reaction score
This is a good post. His body is telling him to retire, LOL. But I agree it's his choice. The dude probably wants to play. But he really has to be careful. Don't be charging head first ever. Dive to an open space.
i really wish he would play smarter - for whatever reason hes just more susceptible to concussions that some others. He is probably not long for the league unfortunatnly but at least he got a good setup for life with the dollars he has earned and he seems very level headed so might have a good career post football.

exciter

Reaction score
How do u tell someone that they can no longer work and provide for their family?! Bigtime court cases with something like that.
Lol,
No one saying he can’t work. Just that he can’t play football in the NFL.
Under your scenario, a corporation is denying me the right to work not hiring me to be their CEO!
As long as the NFL is liable for long term debilitating injury then they should have every right to determine when those injuries are disqualifying!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Lol,
No one saying he can’t work. Just that he can’t play football in the NFL.
Under your scenario, a corporation is denying me the right to work not hiring me to be their CEO!
As long as the NFL is liable for long term debilitating injury then they should have every right to determine when those injuries are disqualifying!

Plus, the NFL could argue that his family is going to sue them anyway if he dies from brain damage. So, they're just getting out ahead of it and trying to look out for it.

Flamma

Reaction score
Plus, the NFL could argue that his family is going to sue them anyway if he dies from brain damage. So, they're just getting out ahead of it and trying to look out for it.
I think the NFL settles because it's cheaper. I doubt they'd lose if it went to court. It would be akin to a smoker suing because they got lung cancer.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I think the NFL settles because it's cheaper. I doubt they'd lose if it went to court. It would be akin to a smoker suing because they got lung cancer.
well look at those suing McDonalds because they are fat and blame them for it.
You get the wrong judge and jury and you are looking at hundreds of millions possibly.