Should we bring back Sean Lee?

quickccc

Reaction score
I definitely had my thoughts that Sean Lee was NOT going to return to play another year here if we were being converted to a 3-4 scheme.

IF we were to convert to such a base scheme, then that would have LVE and Jaylon in
the starting middle, with DLaw on one OLB role, while the other side would have to be determined.
That would leave Sean Lee out as a possible starter. Would he want to return to be a backup middle LB ?

But with the plan to stay in the 4-3 scheme, that could mean Lee remaining a strong side OLB starter.
I for one, think Lee will want to come back and play for yet one more season.

The Bigger question is: Will Mike and Mike (McCarthy/Nolan) be considering bringing back a 33 year old
and retaining that limited role of 20% snaps while young cornerstones LVE and Jaylon take the roles in the 4-2-5 nickel packages.

I could see the new coaching regime going with a newer young starter instead of the old school Lee, who remarkably (and shockingly) stayed virtually healthy for the entire year (aside from 1 game I think) .

Me? I'd be interested in doing a 1 year, vet minimum for Lee, ..along side adding young candidate(s) that can seriously contend for a starting strong side job either immediately and definitely inside two years.

Verdict

Reaction score
I will say that Lee didn’t suck as bad this year as last year, but at this point he is pretty much a progress stopper. I would move on, but at the vet minimum, and as the 4th or 5th linebacker that would be fine.

I don’t think he will want to play for the vet minimum or as the 4th or 5th linebacker so that’s probably not realistic.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I don't mind him for depth but he can't really play on Special Teams, and those guys have to.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
If Sean accepts a veteran minimum, absolutely you bring him back. He could seriously continue to help our younger LBs and help groom his replacement already on the team: Luke Gifford.

johneric8

Reaction score
I would project that Sean Lee deserves another year under new leadership because I just can't judge these guys based off of trying to perform under a Jason Garret led coaching staff. I feel like our players were severely handicapped by the cloud of doom that is Jason Garrett.

cavemanct

Reaction score
I will say that Lee didn’t suck as bad this year as last year, but at this point he is pretty much a progress stopper. I would move on, but at the vet minimum, and as the 4th or 5th linebacker that would be fine.

I don’t think he will want to play for the vet minimum or as the 4th or 5th linebacker so that’s probably not realistic.
Who's progress did he stop? Joe Thomas?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Totally depends on what they do at the LB position.

A lot of what Marinelli played didn't have him in the game, just 2 LB's. Depends on how Nolan runs his D.

And if Nolan and Big Mike think he's worth a roster spot and 1 of the 45 on game day.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Bring back Lee for another year. But don't insult him by paying him the league minimum. He's worth more than that to the Cowboys as a solid backup and basically an assistant coach both on and off the field.

Truth be told, he's probably the best fit in a 3-4 scheme, we currently have. His problem is that he can no longer stay healthy over a full season. He's still the smartest LB we have. He's still the most experienced and probably the best fundamentally. I agree with you. Don't insult the guy by offering him a minimum contract. If you don't want him playing in the 34, just release him.

quickccc

Reaction score
Truth be told, he's probably the best fit in a 3-4 scheme, we currently have. His problem is that he can no longer stay healthy over a full season. He's still the smartest LB we have. He's still the most experienced and probably the best fundamentally. I agree with you. Don't insult the guy by offering him a minimum contract. If you don't want him playing in the 34, just release him.

we are staying in the 4-3 scheme, it's already been confirmed by the new HC.