Should We Have Traded Scott Shanle?

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
We did trade him to NO, right? We should have hung onto that guy. Another BP screwup if you ask me. I may not be a huge Wade fan, but I'm still glad BP has left the building. Ahhhh, smell that fresh air. LOL

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Well, he was the 7th best LB on the squad. What's the point of keeping him?

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
I believe the feeling was Shanle was too small for the 3-4. Remember the Rams gave up on him too.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I do not think that in the 3-4 he is all that. The 4-3 is where he does well. Guess what- we do not play the 4-3.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
trade a player you were gonna cut for a draft pick is a mistake?

Reaction score
Shanle had a pretty good season for the Saints but come on folks let's not kid ourselves he's only average at best...

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
So is there a limit to the amount of stupid threads you can start, before being banned?

and can we make one :)

dfense

Reaction score
philo beddoe;1375158 said:
We did trade him to NO, right? We should have hung onto that guy. Another BP screwup if you ask me. I may not be a huge Wade fan, but I'm still glad BP has left the building. Ahhhh, smell that fresh air. LOL
NO has a good Dline. Good Dlines hide their defensive deficiancies well. See the Bears run through NO? See T. Jones look like Walter Payton?

SteamedSoup

Reaction score
Let me put it this way:

Shanle fetched us a 7th rounder. But the Saints probably give us better than a 7th rounder for pretty much any linebacker who made our opening day roster this year. Meaning Shanle wasn't good enough to make our roster and we didn't keep anybody who wouldn't have just as easily excelled (numbers-wise) in the Saints 4-3 defense.

At least we got something for him. That's really one of the areas where Parcells came up small in his time here -- failure to even attempt to get value for a guy once he'd made up his mind the guy wasn't gonna be apart of our plans.

When you play LB for a 4-3, you can look better than you really are. Particularly if it's a defense that isn't very strong, so you get plenty of tackles just by being active. Like a Darren Hambrick.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Shanle and Fujita were in so many plays in the playoffs. They were in constant motion.
Hindsight is great.
Bradie James is not.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
dargonking999;1375292 said:
So is there a limit to the amount of stupid threads you can start, before being banned?

and can we make one :)

One of the great things about The Zone is that you can have you say.
If it is a stupid threat don't read it. If it is offensive, the mods will attend to it.
Why do so many self-appointed arbiters of what is good and what is stupid want to impose their views on the number or quality of posts?
Seems to me that, if you are offended on any level here, do what you do when you don't like a TV program. Turn it off, Blutto. Simple.

Don't hate free speech, no matter how insipid you think.

:eek:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
philo beddoe;1375158 said:

So, which LB should we have gotten rid of instead?

For those who might answer Bradie James ... no one would have thought that before this season began to wind down.

Maybe a case could be made for Ryan Fowler, but Fowler's a better special-teams player, and that's all Shanle would have done here, played on special teams.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;1375596 said:
One of the great things about The Zone is that you can have you say.
If it is a stupid threat don't read it. If it is offensive, the mods will attend to it.
Why do so many self-appointed arbiters of what is good and what is stupid want to impose their views on the number or quality of posts?
Seems to me that, if you are offended on any level here, do what you do when you don't like a TV program. Turn it off, Blutto. Simple.

Don't hate free speech, no matter how insipid you think.

:eek:

There is no such thing as "free speech" on a privately owned membership site. Speech is governed by the rules of the site.

It is kind of funny that while talking about free speech for people like fido you are trying to squash the post hense speech of another poster like dargon

superpunk

Reaction score
The Shanimal should have never been traded. He coulda been a fullback here. :(

It's amazing how "you guys" gravitate towards the same ideas. I can't even explain it.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I liked Shanle.

He was a quick guy who read plays well. He is not overly physical and thus his downfall in Parcells mind and defense.

BUT, when you have the LB coach go to another team and pick up your LBs that indicates they were pretty good.

Shanle had an excellent season in NO and took what was a joke of an Lb corps made them quite respectable. He lead the team in tackles with Fujita right behind and no one else even close.

Should we have traded him???
It depends on your view of things. I say we should have traded Al Singleton if we felt we needed to lose one LB.

I believe Singleton would have fetched more than a 7th; maybe a 5th or so.
And I firmly believe he is not on the opening day roster. He is no more of a 3-4 fit than Shanle and is a much lesser special teams player.

Singleton is solid and deserved a chance to start somewhere and he wins down his career.