SI: Banks: Coaches on Hot Seat: December

Gooch

E-Dog
Reaction score
The Hot Seat Rankings
1. Rod Marinelli, Detroit -- No way, no how the Lions sell tickets for 2009 with Marinelli still around. Time to put Matt Millen's final coaching hire out of his misery. A historic 0-16 season wouldn't even require an explanation, just a firing and a press conference.

• Pink slip potential: 99 percent.

2. Jim Haslett, St. Louis -- After those hopeful first two wins over Washington and Dallas after he took over for Scott Linehan, Haslett's Rams have laid down and died like dogs, dropping six straight. Most of them in the ugly blowout fashion. Look for the Rams to try and land a high-profile defensive coordinator like Spagnuolo, Schwartz or Rex Ryan.

• Pink slip potential: 95 percent.

3. Romeo Crennel, Cleveland -- League sources I talk to say it's 50-50 that Browns owner Randy Lerner blows up the whole thing and starts over in Cleveland with a new general manager and a new head coach. But those odds are on both Savage and Crennel to be fired together. When you ask around regarding just Crennel, it approaches a foregone conclusion that he's gone.

• Pink slip potential: 90 percent.

4. Wade Phillips, Dallas -- To be sure, the Cowboys' season-saving three-game winning streak has lightened the pressure on Phillips -- for now. But it's still all about playoff success, or bust, in Dallas this season. Since the Cowboys are going to have to go the wild-card route -- if they go at all to the playoffs -- that makes it a very difficult road to ride.

• Pink slip potential: 75 percent.

5. Herm Edwards, Kansas City -- That win at Oakland on Sunday was only Kansas City's second in its past 21 games, and there's not many coaches who could survive a 2-19 run in the NFL. But Edwards could be one of them, if -- and it's a big if -- Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson returns. I just don't know how owner Clark Hunt sells another season of Peterson and Edwards to the frustrated fans of Kansas City.

• Pink slip potential: 55 percent.

6. Mike Singletary, San Francisco -- If the 49ers could split their last four games, after winning Sunday at Buffalo, that late-season momentum might be enough to turn the tide in favor of Singletary getting the interim tag removed from his title. It's a fluid situation, but after a shaky start, Singletary has a shot to survive.

• Pink slip potential: 55 percent.

7. Norv Turner, San Diego -- I really don't believe that Chargers general manager Smith wants to fire Turner, who led San Diego to those two long-awaited playoff victories last January. But he might find himself feeling forced to make a move if the wheels continue to come off for the Chargers in the season's final month. As we said above, New England offensive coordinator McDaniels might be an intriguing option.

• Pink slip potential: 50 percent.

8. Tom Cable, Oakland -- The Raiders could easily fire Cable, of course, but the question in Oakland is who does Davis get to take the job at that point? Cable could stick around, because Davis is said to see a bit of young John Madden in him, and he has had the Raiders playing hard in recent weeks. For Davis, that win at Denver alone is worth considering Cable for the full-time gig.

• Pink slip potential: 50 percent.

9. Gary Kubiak, Houston -- Texans owner Bob McNair has always struck me as a reasonable and largely patient man, and that's probably going to work in Kubiak's favor regarding a fourth season in Houston. Also, don't underestimate the importance of the Texans' big home win over Jacksonville in their first-ever Monday Night Football game. An egg-laying in that one could have really doomed Kubiak.

• Pink slip potential: 35 percent.

10. Marvin Lewis, Cincinnati -- If Lewis was coaching anywhere else, his team's 1-10-1 record this season would be a death sentence. But he's working for an owner in Mike Brown who holds his nose at the thought of paying off a coach to disappear. Brown, who still owes Lewis at least $8 million over the next two years, came out this week and praised Lewis for doing "an incredibly good job'' this season.

• Pink slip potential: 30 percent.

11. Brad Childress, Minnesota -- The Vikings and Childress don't have any reason to get comfortable just yet, but they are 7-5 and in sole possession of first place in the NFC North. A 9-7 record and a division title is probably what it's going to take to make Childress entirely safe. The Vikings have to win at Detroit this week, then get one more W out of the tough final three weeks: At Arizona, then home against Atlanta and the Giants. Fortunately for Minnesota, the Cardinals and Giants will probably have already clinched.

12. Andy Reid, Philadelphia -- It's not out of the question that a change is in the offing in Philly, but my gut tells me that that Eagles management will give Reid the benefit of the doubt in this, his third non-playoff season in four years. But with three games remaining in the rugged NFC East, the story could still take a downward spiral for the Eagles in December.

• Pink slip potential: 25 percent.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/12/02/coaches/index.html

adamc91115

Reaction score
What about Jack Del Rio?

He's gotta be way up on that list after Jacksonville's season.

75% for Wade seems a little high.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Does Jurha fire Wade if we miss the playoffs again? Or does he consider the injuries as a reason to keep him?

Boysboy

Reaction score
Gooch;2457745 said:
11. Brad Childress, Minnesota -- The Vikings and Childress don't have any reason to get comfortable just yet, but they are 7-5 and in sole possession of first place in the NFC North. A 9-7 record and a division title is probably what it's going to take to make Childress entirely safe. The Vikings have to win at Detroit this week, then get one more W out of the tough final three weeks: At Arizona, then home against Atlanta and the Giants. Fortunately for Minnesota, the Cardinals and Giants will probably have already clinched.

Obviously, this writer hasn't watched football all year-the Vikings have won 6 of their last 8 after an abysmal start, and now they have a weak schedule plus the Giants should be resting their starters the rest of the way.

Childress has done a very good job this year, after doing very poorly his prior 2 years. He's really hung in there and weathered the storm.

12. Andy Reid, Philadelphia -- It's not out of the question that a change is in the offing in Philly, but my gut tells me that that Eagles management will give Reid the benefit of the doubt in this, his third non-playoff season in four years. But with three games remaining in the rugged NFC East, the story could still take a downward spiral for the Eagles in December.

• Pink slip potential: 25 percent.

It's the same story every year-get off to a hot start, go into a midseason stinker with bad game plannings and soap operas to the point where they fall almost out of playoff contention, then in the final sprint when his and McNabb's ***** are on the line, they'll mysteriously pull out the performances of their lives and end up giving the Philly fans and media false optimism into the future. We saw this same movie the last 2 years.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Sure, let's listen to Banks' opinion because, after all, he's the one who speculated and then reported that the Cowboys are regretting the Roy Wiloiams trade. Thanks there, Banks, for being in "the know" when it comes to everything "Cowboys". (NOT!) :rolleyes:

Boysboy

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2457755 said:
Does Jurha fire Wade if we miss the playoffs again? Or does he consider the injuries as a reason to keep him?

Didn't we have a rash of injuries in '97? Why didn't he give Barry the benefit of the doubt? How about '99 when we had some significant injuries? Why didn't he give Gailey the benefit of the doubt? How many guys were IR'd under Campo? Why didn't he stay on as HC?:eek:

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Boysboy;2457772 said:
Didn't we have a rash of injuries in '97? Why didn't he give Barry the benefit of the doubt? How about '99 when we had some significant injuries? Why didn't he give Gailey the benefit of the doubt? How many guys were IR'd under Campo? Why didn't he stay on as HC?:eek:

Even Phillips his a bit ahead of any of those guys. I for one hope he's gone.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Hunt has inferred Edwards is staying so I don't know where he's getting his information.

I don't trust this guy a bit.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Singletary is the one I would like to see keep his job.
I think given things fresh he will do a great job.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2457790 said:
Singletary is the one I would like to see keep his job.
I think given things fresh he will do a great job.

I'd love to see Singletary do well. But he can leave the Whiners He's too good for the Whiners. I think this guy can get players to play for him. But then I think Wade can do the same.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Amazing. The other coaches in that top 10 are proven lousy coaches, except for Singletary who is too new to tell yet. Wade's won 60% of his games over many years now, and is still #4 on the list. What a joke.

gmoney112

Reaction score
i like wade. i didn't like him earlier in the season when brian stewart was managing the d, but it's a night and day difference. phillips knows how to run a defensive scheme and if pacman can stay out of trouble he'll be great in the bump coverage we're running more. wade also trusts garrett with the offensive playcalling so you have wade managing the d and garrett running the offense. i'd take that over just about any combination in the league

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Further proof that Jimma Carter was right: Life is not fay-ah.

Um, let me see, 75% for the Michellin Man and only 50% for Norvel Turner and 55% for Herman?

Heck, Wade is better than those two miscreants.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
gmoney112;2457965 said:
i like wade. i didn't like him earlier in the season when brian stewart was managing the d, but it's a night and day difference. phillips knows how to run a defensive scheme and if pacman can stay out of trouble he'll be great in the bump coverage we're running more. wade also trusts garrett with the offensive playcalling so you have wade managing the d and garrett running the offense. i'd take that over just about any combination in the league

I agree.
I hope Jason Garrett makes Wade our DC when the lad takes over next year.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Gooch;2457745 said:
8. Tom Cable, Oakland -- The Raiders could easily fire Cable, of course, but the question in Oakland is who does Davis get to take the job at that point?

Ummm, Jim Fassel.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dave_in-NC;2457755 said:

I think it depends on the interest in Jason Garrett. As if he draws much attention. Will another owner pay him 3 Million or more to be a haed coach. When in fact he is still unproven in that area.

Also may depends on how available / interested Bill Cowher is [if at all].

I think Wade stays one more year, which will be his final [didn't he only have a 3 year deal] regardless of a SB apprearance or not.

Spectre

Reaction score
Singletary is and will continue to be a poor coach, IMO.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Donna Banks,

We'll see, baby.

We are coming out straight up ballin, hommie.

:steelers:

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
41gy#;2458208 said:
Donna Banks,

We'll see, baby.

We are coming out straight up ballin, hommie.

:steelers:

:lmao2:

I hope you are correct.

Wade Phillips is on the hot seat and if you were a member of this forum a few weeks ago, alot of folks were saying he should have been fired after the the first Commanders game.

I always felt that it did no good to remove a coach during the season, especially when you have no real upgrade.