Recap: SI - MMQB Podcast - The NFL’s Top 10 Offensive Linemen for 2019|

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
This is the transcript it looks like.

On the Monday Morning NFL Podcast, Andy Benoit and Gary Gramling discuss the state of offensive line play across the NFL, the wisdom in investing big in the front five, the true value of a center, and a Q&A with Tampa Bay Bucs left tackle Donovan Smith. Plus, they unveil their ranking of the top 10 offensive linemen in the NFL heading into the 2019 season. Listen and subscribe to The MMQB Monday Morning NFL Podcast here. The following transcript has been edited and condensed for clarity.

GARY: The question we’ll start with is this: Do you need to invest big to get star, headlining offensive lineman in the NFL? Or is the goal more—and we've talked about this a little bit over the years—just to get an offensive line that isn’t disastrously bad, that is simply good enough to allow you to function?

ANDY: Yeah, we’ve gone over this before and it’s a moving argument. I think a lot of it begins with who you have at quarterback and how you play—every offense takes on the shape of its quarterback. If you have a guy who’s getting the ball out quickly, if you’re the New England Patriots, for example, you don’t need to re-sign Nate Solder for top-end money, or Trent Brown for top-end money. You can get by with mid-round draft picks, or even an undrafted center like David Andrews, who’s gotten a lot better over time because you have a quarterback that controls the protections and gets the ball out on three- and five-step timing pretty often. But if you're the Philadelphia Eagles, for example, and theirs is kind of a quick-strike offense, but Carson Wentz tends to play late into the down within the pocket. Then it’s a different conversation. The Eagles have a lot of good offensive linemen.

Cut to the chase:

1. Zack Martin, G, Dallas, 78 points (2 first-place votes)
2. David Bakhtiari, OT, Green Bay, 75 (1)
3. Jason Kelce, C, Philadelphia, 69
4. Tyron Smith, OT, Dallas, 58
5. Travis Frederick, C, Dallas, 56
6. Quenton Nelson, G, Indianapolis, 52
7. David DeCastro, G, Pittsburgh, 51
8. Mitchell Schwartz, OT, Kansas City, 48
9. Maurkice Pouncey, C, Pittsburgh, 47
10. Trent Williams, OT, Washington, 44

Find the article here:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/07/02/t...d-VfPuXkRR548vfcIDLRwyqPldpsjU4gI0-hTerKIiLnA

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
3 out of the Top 5 overall as best O-linemen in the whole NFL is amazing! Now, if both 2nd year linemen Connor Williams and rookie Connor McGovern can quickly become stud players, whoa, Cowboys by far will have the best starting 5 O-line in the whole NFL for the next several years.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
From a player personnel perspective? I agree completely. My only question is if this coaching staff is up to the task?

I know. But then every team has questionmarks. And of course it will be a fight with its ups and downs.

I just tried to not "bash" on someone in my post. I didint want to make this another Dak or Garrett sucks thread.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Did Connor Williams do enough to become a really good guard? Not what FredBeard, Zach, and Tyron are. But serviceable enough between two oif the top five to protect and make holes?

That idea is really appealing. Because he is a gym rat and works very hard, the expectations on my part is he becomes a stud at guard.

If that happens Zeke should have a banner year.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
There are 8 divisions in the NFL. Of the top 10 OL in the league, 5 of them are in the NFC East.

Three of the top 10 are in Dallas. You know Defenses dread playing against Elliott with those guys blocking for him. The DB’s particularly get beat to hell by the 4th quarter.

If Williams is good at LG, look out.

As an aside... I wish Dallas could have somehow managed to get Quinton Nelson on the team. That guy is a monster.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
There are 8 divisions in the NFL. Of the top 10 OL in the league, 5 of them are in the NFC East.

Three of the top 10 are in Dallas. You know Defenses dread playing against Elliott with those guys blocking for him. The DB’s particularly get beat to hell by the 4th quarter.

As an aside... I wish Dallas could have somehow managed to get Quinton Nelson on the team. That guy is a monster.
Yeah, I heard the hype about Nelson before that draft and he did not disappoint. I appreciate watching talent like that.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Yeah, I heard the hype about Nelson before that draft and he did not disappoint. I appreciate watching talent like that.
Yeah, he’s fun to watch. He’s an intimidator. I’d love to have him at LG with Smith on one side and Frederick on the other.

I mean, I love LVE so I’m happy with that first round but my goodness is Nelson a load. Imagine having Martin and Nelson pulling with EzE behind them.

It’s not often that I have OL envy, lol.

Oh well, Dallas can’t have all the great players, I suppose.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Yeah, he’s fun to watch. He’s an intimidator. I’d love to have him at LG with Smith on one side and Frederick on the other.

I mean, I love LVE so I’m happy with that first round but my goodness is Nelson a load. Imagine having Martin and Nelson pulling with EzE behind them.

It’s not often that I have OL envy, lol.

Oh well, Dallas can’t have all the great players, I suppose.
That would be a thing of beauty to watch. I'm happy with LVE as well but adding Nelson to our current line would have made it the best ever IMO.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score

Should be six from the NFC East—I’d take Lane Johnson over a few players on that list.