News: SI: The Education of Trey Lance

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SF coaching staff can make mistakes also. They are not perfect contrary to popular belief on here. Time will tell.

Why did TB give up on Steve Young?
He didn’t fit the shanny QB mold. Lance is more like Jalen Hurts but with a better arm and far less experience. Shanny prefers pocket passers who make quick reads and deliver the ball. He didn’t want Lance but lost a power struggle to John lynch.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
I think there is a real chance Lance is QB#2 next year, from there we should all hope he pushes QB#1 for the job..nothing against Dak he is a good QB but if all things ARE EQUAL-big if here- then give me the younger cheaper QB.. "Nothing personal its just business"
The point of Trey Lance is it gives the front office options...but these options are only available if they do really good work this season and the next offseason to get him ready to compete for jobs.

First Cooper Rush's, then Dak Prescott's. If he turns out to be a legitimate competitor for the starting QB postiion in Dallas then the team has a lot of directions they can go.

The most important thing is to do the hard work to make these options possible, and most important Trey Lance progresses to the point he can compete.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Really has nothing to do with him. CZers been pining for Lance to see some end-of-game-in-hand action before Bayless chimed in.
They did it today.

Even after it was posted a half dozen times in the game thread, some random CZer would wake up and pull their beard out of their beer and say “put in Lance!!!”

We need to just realize that about half of all fans are borderline NFL illiterate.

And that’s ok I guess.

There’s room for everyone as long as they aren’t hateful.

Kwyn

Reaction score
The point of Trey Lance is it gives the front office options...but these options are only available if they do really good work this season and the next offseason to get him ready to compete for jobs.

First Cooper Rush's, then Dak Prescott's. If he turns out to be a legitimate competitor for the starting QB postiion in Dallas then the team has a lot of directions they can go.

The most important thing is to do the hard work to make these options possible, and most important Trey Lance progresses to the point he can compete.
Lance will likely displace Rush next year. He’s not going to turn into an elite NFL QB. That ship has sailed.

If we can get a multi year quality backup for a fourth round pick, I’d call that a win.

gtb1943

Reaction score
The NFL is so worried about QBs but make you pretty much carry two on the game day roster. Yeah they let the emergency QB now but frankly the SMART thing to do would be to allow the third QB to be active but not count against the game day roster/OR just add a slot to the game day roster.
This would allow more development of QBs that need playing time. a team would have a clear backup and be able to play a young developmental prospect in games like today when its a blow out

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I highly suggest you take a couple of minutes to read the entire article.

'The Education of Trey Lance': Dallas Cowboys Coach Analyzes Progress of Dak Prescott Backup​

Anthony Licciardi
11/17/2023

Despite what your favorite pundit may have told you, the Dallas Cowboys didn’t trade for quarterback Trey Lance to light a fire under their franchise quarterback or give him competition out of concern for the starting job.

Dak Prescott is this team’s starting quarterback -- and a damn good one at that.

With that said, there’s a reason the former third-overall pick was traded for a late-round selection. He’s not ready to be a legitimate starting quarterback at the moment. He’s raw, a consequence of playing so infrequently. Lance has thrown 310 in-game passes since he enrolled at North Dakota State … in 2018. For reference, Prescott has 300 attempts this season.

Also worth mentioning: NFL rules mean that Lance, as the weekly third-string QB, is eligible to play only if Nos. 1 and 2 get hurt. So the calls to "Put in Lance!'' during blowouts (we're looking at you, Skip Bayless) are calls to do something that is literally illegal.

Entire article: https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...oach-analyzes-progress-of-dak-prescott-backup

usatsi_21607402.jpg

Lance jogs off the field of his former stomping grounds in San Francisco.
If this were to work out, Coach Mac probably won’t get as much credit as he deserves, but it will definitely be one of the best coaching turnaround projects in NFL history. He can run like Dak, he can throw further than Dak, can he stay cool in the huddle, pocket and make good decisions like Dak?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Trey Lance doesn't need educated, he needs freakin game reps. He's spent the last 3 years on the sideline, how much whiteboarding does he need to do?

conner01

Reaction score
I think there is a real chance Lance is QB#2 next year, from there we should all hope he pushes QB#1 for the job..nothing against Dak he is a good QB but if all things ARE EQUAL-big if here- then give me the younger cheaper QB.. "Nothing personal its just business"
I think that’s the plan. His contract is a factor in that plan. And the fact they get a full off season and pre season to get him as ready as possible

conner01

Reaction score
If this were to work out, Coach Mac probably won’t get as much credit as he deserves, but it will definitely be one of the best coaching turnaround projects in NFL history. He can run like Dak, he can throw further than Dak, can he stay cool in the huddle, pocket and make good decisions like Dak?
He has physical talent. The question is the mental part of the game. Which is by far the hardest to determine without being in live fire. But I think that’s why he’s not been used as the 2 yet. They want to give him the best shot they can to be prepared when he walks on the field