News: SI: The Education of Trey Lance

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread but if Lance goes to QB2 do we see Rush dawn a coaching hat? red head "Smart QB".....put the pitch forks down I have not seen him clap all the time...

mardwin

Reaction score
Don't forget the 9ers have Purdy. So Lance was tradable commodity. I trust his judgement more than Jerry also. But as an organization they had a 2nd round value on him. So for the Cowboys, getting him for a 4th and giving him a chance to develop and not use a 1st round pick on a QB was worth the risk.
The Cowboys grade everyone in the draft as a 2nd round talent.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Lance doesnt have to prove or show anything, Jerry already likes him. Plus Jerry looks better if he doesnt play him this season.

RonWashington

Reaction score
I think the GM was shopping him before the draft.

They got a lot of value out of Purdy.

We are incredibly lucky that Lance had the two freak injuries.

Otherwise the trade doesn’t happen.

Maybe check out some videos of Lance.

The kid is talented.

Another N Dakota St QB bounced around the league did nothing . Carson . When you say watch “ video “ against who James Madison ?
Here’s a wild thought if Lance is working out working with coaches during the week why keep a lid on him . Where in the rule book does it say Cooper Rush has to be the # 2 QB game day ? In a Giants Patriots Jets blowouts it would have been nice get # 15 some reps .

Or better yet have Marty’s son and MM design some wildcat plays bring 15 in for some competitive snaps not just handoffs to Deuce and 10 yard passes in blowouts .

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I just can’t get past Shanahan giving up on him…..if he had ANY potential at all they wouldn’t have let him go. I trust his judgement more than Jerrys when it comes to evaluating Qb talent….and any sane person should too.
He gave up on him despite having him only two seasons after trading the farm to move up for him. Shanahan obviously didn’t see any potential of him becoming a star. All the great QBs showed at least some flashes at the NFL level very early on. Lance played enough to where if there was anything there they wouldn’t have given up on him so quick. He couldn’t even win the backup job in SF last summer.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I highly suggest you take a couple of minutes to read the entire article.

'The Education of Trey Lance': Dallas Cowboys Coach Analyzes Progress of Dak Prescott Backup​

Anthony Licciardi
11/17/2023

Despite what your favorite pundit may have told you, the Dallas Cowboys didn’t trade for quarterback Trey Lance to light a fire under their franchise quarterback or give him competition out of concern for the starting job.

Dak Prescott is this team’s starting quarterback -- and a damn good one at that.

With that said, there’s a reason the former third-overall pick was traded for a late-round selection. He’s not ready to be a legitimate starting quarterback at the moment. He’s raw, a consequence of playing so infrequently. Lance has thrown 310 in-game passes since he enrolled at North Dakota State … in 2018. For reference, Prescott has 300 attempts this season.

Also worth mentioning: NFL rules mean that Lance, as the weekly third-string QB, is eligible to play only if Nos. 1 and 2 get hurt. So the calls to "Put in Lance!'' during blowouts (we're looking at you, Skip Bayless) are calls to do something that is literally illegal.

Entire article: https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...oach-analyzes-progress-of-dak-prescott-backup

usatsi_21607402.jpg

Lance jogs off the field of his former stomping grounds in San Francisco.

I was impressed with his 4 NFL starts based on physical ability.

Great arm and runs like a power running back.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
I think the GM was shopping him before the draft.

They got a lot of value out of Purdy.

We are incredibly lucky that Lance had the two freak injuries.

Otherwise the trade doesn’t happen.

Maybe check out some videos of Lance.

The kid is talented.
You should also watch the videos of these great NFL legends, who also have great videos on Youtube, Start with Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell, Matt Leinart, Johnny Manziel, Art Schilchter, Josh Rosen, Brady Quinn, Rick Mirer, Mitchell Trubisky, Carson Wentz and a score of other busts who all have great videos on Youtube. Lance could maybe move to WR or CB..

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just can’t get past Shanahan giving up on him…..if he had ANY potential at all they wouldn’t have let him go. I trust his judgement more than Jerrys when it comes to evaluating Qb talent….and any sane person should too.
SF coaching staff can make mistakes also. They are not perfect contrary to popular belief on here. Time will tell.

Why did TB give up on Steve Young?

rags747

Reaction score
What a letdown of an article. I was expecting to see progress reports but all I got was his footwork is better.
Agreed, I expected an article with some meat in it. All we got was a lot of nothing!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SF coaching staff can make mistakes also. They are not perfect contrary to popular belief on here. Time will tell.

Why did TB give up on Steve Young?
There have been many examples throughout history of this happening. We have our own history with Jimmy Smith. Steve Young is a great example though.

Plankton

Reaction score
Lance is a guy who needs an NFL Europe option to actually get some live reps. Hard to really develop when you haven't played much football in the last four years.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I highly suggest you take a couple of minutes to read the entire article.

'The Education of Trey Lance': Dallas Cowboys Coach Analyzes Progress of Dak Prescott Backup​

Anthony Licciardi
11/17/2023

Despite what your favorite pundit may have told you, the Dallas Cowboys didn’t trade for quarterback Trey Lance to light a fire under their franchise quarterback or give him competition out of concern for the starting job.

Dak Prescott is this team’s starting quarterback -- and a damn good one at that.

With that said, there’s a reason the former third-overall pick was traded for a late-round selection. He’s not ready to be a legitimate starting quarterback at the moment. He’s raw, a consequence of playing so infrequently. Lance has thrown 310 in-game passes since he enrolled at North Dakota State … in 2018. For reference, Prescott has 300 attempts this season.

Also worth mentioning: NFL rules mean that Lance, as the weekly third-string QB, is eligible to play only if Nos. 1 and 2 get hurt. So the calls to "Put in Lance!'' during blowouts (we're looking at you, Skip Bayless) are calls to do something that is literally illegal.

Entire article: https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...oach-analyzes-progress-of-dak-prescott-backup

usatsi_21607402.jpg

Lance jogs off the field of his former stomping grounds in San Francisco.
You talking about the part about it's illegal to play him as the No. 3 unless both the No. 1 and No. 2 are hurt? I think most know that, but would like to see Lance made the No. 2 in some games where a blowout is likely. We know that any NFL game can be hard to win, but a game like the one we just played against the Giants with a third-string QB starting seems like an obvious one where we could have gotten Lance some reps.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Article starts out with stats about how few snaps Lance has played as an explanation for why he hasn't shown any promise yet in the NFL. It concludes with an endorsement of a strategy that all but ensures that he gets no snaps going forward. Some people are actually just playing checkers.
He will play in pre-season next year and that is it.

Chasing6

Reaction score
You talking about the part about it's illegal to play him as the No. 3 unless both the No. 1 and No. 2 are hurt? I think most know that, but would like to see Lance made the No. 2 in some games where a blowout is likely. We know that any NFL game can be hard to win, but a game like the one we just played against the Giants with a third-string QB starting seems like an obvious one where we could have gotten Lance some reps.
He would have to beat out Cooper Rush to become the number 2. Same reason the Niners traded him. He was number 3 there.

Typically your number 3 back-up emergency QB is an undrafted player with potential.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He would have to beat out Cooper Rush to become the number 2. Same reason the Niners traded him. He was number 3 there.

Typically your number 3 back-up emergency QB is an undrafted player with potential.
I don't think he should be handed the No. 2 job. I think in certain games, he should be the No. 2. Rush doesn't need reps in blowouts. He is what he is. Lance badly needs reps.

I think the Giants game was a perfect example of a game where we could have gotten him reps.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Lance is a guy who needs an NFL Europe option to actually get some live reps. Hard to really develop when you haven't played much football in the last four years.
3 first round picks to move up to draft him 3rd overall, to be the 3rd string emergency back up QB, after 3 years in the NFL.

Who has started for less than 3 years in his entire career including HS.

Eddie

Reaction score
Unless we're ready to pay him, he's gone ... and so is our 4th round "investment".

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Unless we're ready to pay him, he's gone ... and so is our 4th round "investment".
That’s true. Everyone has an opinion on how good he is, why the Niners gave up on him, what Jerry had in mind when he acquired him. It will come down to what Trey Lance and his representation think. If Trey and his reps believe he can be a starter in the NFL he is not going to sign a new contract with the Cowboys. This is where being that 3rd pick in the first round works for him and against the Cowboys. It may actually serve the Cowboys not to play him at this time. Any success, no matter how minor, will simply encourage him to stick with his existing contract. If Dallas wants him for 2025, he’s getting paid over $20 million sans any new agreement. And they’ll have to make the call on that fifth year option sometime next year.