Sign Sam Bradford

JustChip

Reaction score
I’m looking for long term solutions or nothing at all. I would rather roll with dak and see him either pan out or flop. Can’t stand the slow death of trying to pay for 1 year rentals and get to 8-8, a la jets and Houston kept doing. Would rather go 0-16 and draft my own guy.

Spot on! I’m not convinced Dak is or is not the answer, but I’m willing to sacrifice next year if he’s not in order to precipitate a total change & get a franchise QB.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Spot on! I’m not convinced Dak is or is not the answer, but I’m willing to sacrifice next year if he’s not in order to precipitate a total change & get a franchise QB.

I agree, but have a QB drafted late to compete with Rush for the backup spot. Find someone that can step in for sure if we should pull Dak out, and, if we do pull Dak, we need to be sure it's the right decision to relegate him to backup.

JustChip

Reaction score
I agree, but have a QB drafted late to compete with Rush for the backup spot. Find someone that can step in for sure if we should pull Dak out, and, if we do pull Dak, we need to be sure it's the right decision to relegate him to backup.

Absolutely. Although, I would rather have a veteran to compete with Cooper. This team is talented enough to compete, assuming the o-line is stable. Regardless of what one thinks of Dak or Cooper, if Dak goes down, it is very likely the season will be lost.

I'm with you on Dak and the backup role. In my opinion, you don't do that mid-season unless it's blatantly obvious he's not the answer and the team is not going to make the playoffs. Something like what got Wade fired, starting 1-7 or 2-6 and the reason points almost totally to Dak struggling. I don't think that will happen. Shoot, they went 9-7 this year with a plethora of problems.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Absolutely. Although, I would rather have a veteran to compete with Cooper. This team is talented enough to compete, assuming the o-line is stable. Regardless of what one thinks of Dak or Cooper, if Dak goes down, it is very likely the season will be lost.

I'm with you on Dak and the backup role. In my opinion, you don't do that mid-season unless it's blatantly obvious he's not the answer and the team is not going to make the playoffs. Something like what got Wade fired, starting 1-7 or 2-6 and the reason points almost totally to Dak struggling. I don't think that will happen. Shoot, they went 9-7 this year with a plethora of problems.

Exactly, I don't think Dak will have another 2017-type season. But, if he does, you HAVE to be certain that he's going that route if you choose to pull him if you're Garrett. However, I think you MUST have a legitimate backup as well in order to do that. I understand what you're saying about a veteran, but I still think a rookie QB could still be a good answer. I don't think I'd fancy spending a lot on a veteran QB. Bradford, I suppose, wouldn't be a dreadful option if you're looking for a backup, so I actually don't mind the idea of Bradford. Besides, to be honest, I'm not sure I like this crop of rookie QBs in this draft. At the very least, Dak could learn a lot from Bradford. Yes, he gets injured a lot, but Dak was at his best when he had Romo and Sanchez helping him learn. He did not have veterans to help him along, so, in that sense, I'm actually for us signing Bradford. I think he'd actually benefit Dak in his development. Besides, we'd ONLY be asking Sam to step in if A, he should beat out Rush for the second string spot, and B, if Dak gets injured or we decide that Dak is not the answer.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Is he willing to take a backup role?

I'd imagine so. Especially with his injury history, I could see him serving as a backup here, and what a backup he'd be here! I don't expect him to play, but it'd be lucky if we have him and we should decide that Dak's not the answer as a starter. I'm actually on board with the idea of bringing him in to play for us.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think we can get him for reasonable salary. 1 year 10 million with a team option for another year at 10 million. He played well last season despite having a terrible offensive line.

I actually say not a bad idea if he's to be our backup. Dak did well in 2016 when he had a veteran backup like Romo and Sanchez. Last year, he did not have a veteran backup. Bradford would be a magnificent person to help Dak along. He's a rather smart QB. And, as for his injury history which is causing some to dismiss Bradford, we wouldn't be asking him to start unless Dak's injured or unless we decide that Dak is a disaster as a starter. By which time, Bradford would be the signal that we're going to be in the market for a new starting QB. I say go for Bradford.