Silver Lining in loss - 6th seed

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
OK, Assuming we eek into the playoffs as the 6th seed. We more than likely would play the 3rd Division winner which would probably be the Vikings or Bears.

Either one of those teams are very very beatable even with the Cowboys on the road.

Reaction score
HowAboutThemCowboys;2474312 said:
OK, Assuming we eek into the playoffs as the 6th seed. We more than likely would play the 3rd Division winner which would probably be the Vikings or Bears.

Either one of those teams are very very beatable even with the Cowboys on the road.

Six seed would play forth seed which would be At Arizonia!

Boysboy

Reaction score

Bad news...we have to win against the Giants, Ravens, and @Philly to nab that 6th seed. Otherwise, both the Falcons and Eagles control their own destiny as well.

BTW-I'm not too thrilled having to play in Minny and Chicago. Minny has a hot team, a VERY loud Dome, and they can run the ball very effectively/stop the run.(We're not a running team, that's for sure!) Chicago has the some crazy freezing/windy weather that's terrible for our passing game.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2474315 said:
Six seed would play forth seed which would be At Arizonia!

No-6th seed plays @3rd seed, and 5th seed plays @4th seed.

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
"EEK-ing" in will probably require that we win out against NY, Baltimore and Philly. Watching our performance yesterday, it's very available. But this is what happens when you cannot "eek" out wins earlier in the season against such stalwarts as Arizona, St. Louis and (as it turns out) a way over-rated Commander mess.

Rudy

Reaction score
I think in both conferences, if the first round ends with the NFC North and NFC West hosting games, the wildcard should still be favored!
Even in the AFC, it'll probably be from the AFC West and East, both of which's representatives should probably be upset. This has the makings of a very exciting playoffs.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2474335 said:
Are you sure? I read somewhere that 6th played 4th.

Last year the Giants were the 5th seed, they played the 4th seeded Bucs team. The Skins were the 6th seed, they played the 3rd seeded Hawks team.

I get this confused too.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score

Arizona is very beatable for any decent team.

I'd much rather be 5th, as there's a decent chance both wild card teams could win, which would mean we wouldn't play the NYG until the NFCC.

bootsy

Benched
Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2474335 said:
Are you sure? I read somewhere that 6th played 4th.
6th plays the 3rd.

The 32-team league is divided into two conferences of 16 teams each: the American Football Conference (AFC) and the National Football Conference (NFC). Since 2002, each conference has been further divided into 4 divisions of 4 teams each. The tournament brackets are made up of six teams from each of the league's two conferences, following the end of the 16-game regular season. Qualification into the playoffs are as follows: [1]

The NFL Playoffs. Each of the 4 division winners is seeded 1–4 based on their overall records. The two wild card teams (labeled Wild Card 1 and 2) are seeded 5th and 6th (with the better of the two having seed 5) regardless of their records compared to the 4 division winners.

• The 4 division champions from each conference (the team in each division with the best overall record), which are seeded 1 through 4 based on their overall won-lost-tied record.
  • Two wild card qualifiers (those non-division champions with the conference's best winning percentages), which are seeded 5 and 6.
The first round of the playoffs is dubbed the Wild Card Playoffs (the league in recent years has also used the term Wild Card Weekend). In this round, the 3rd-seeded division winner hosts the 6th seed wild card, and the 4th seed hosts the 5th. The 1 and 2 seeds from each conference receive a bye in the first round, which entitles these teams to automatic advancement to the second round, the Divisional Playoffs, where they face the Wild Card Weekend survivors. Unlike most tournaments, with a predetermined bracket, the second round of the playoffs is "re-seeded"; the top seed always hosts the lowest surviving seed, while the other two teams pair off.[2] The two surviving teams from the Divisional Playoff games meet in Conference Championship games, with the winners of those contests going on to face one another in the Super Bowl.
If teams are tied (having the same regular season won-lost-tied record), the playoff seeding is determined by a set of tie-breaking rules.[1]
One potential disadvantage is that the two teams with the best records in a conference could play each other before the conference championship if they're in the same division (The better team would get the #1 seed, while the worse team would only get the #5 seed as the top wild card team, and as shown in the diagram, it is possible for the #1 division winner to play the top wild card team in the divisional round)

superpunk

Reaction score
It would suck to have to go to Chicago....or maybe it would be a good prep for going to New York.

bootsy

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk;2474357 said:
It would suck to have to go to Chicago....or maybe it would be a good prep for going to New York.
I would rather PLAY Chicago than Arizona. For that matter I would rather play Minnesota too. Both of those offenses are inept.

newlander

Reaction score
A couple things as I've seen Chicago, Minny and AZ all play multiple times this season:

1) Minnesota could very well lose the Williams duo in the middle and they aren't that great with them, Ferotte is out right now too. The Lions almost beat them yesterday. They'd be my first choice

2) I'd love to get another shot at Arizona. We should have beat them before and we're playing much better now.

3) Chicago is the weakest of the three IMO> The problem is, I don't want any part of going to Soldier Field in a few weeks: not good.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Boysboy;2474320 said:
Bad news...we have to win against the Giants, Ravens, and @Philly to nab that 6th seed. Otherwise, both the Falcons and Eagles control their own destiny as well.

BTW-I'm not too thrilled having to play in Minny and Chicago. Minny has a hot team, a VERY loud Dome, and they can run the ball very effectively/stop the run.(We're not a running team, that's for sure!) Chicago has the some crazy freezing/windy weather that's terrible for our passing game.

Minnesota can't throw it. Put 8 in the box and you're good.

I'd be worried about having to play @ Arizona again. They've got a very explosive passing game and of course their fans would be riding high on arrogance despite winning their division and hosting a playoff game for the first time in 61 years.

30yrheel

Reaction score
i'll be happy just to make the playoffs. who cares where and which team.
long, long way to go.

Boysboy

Reaction score
newlander;2474703 said:
A couple things as I've seen Chicago, Minny and AZ all play multiple times this season:

1) Minnesota could very well lose the Williams duo in the middle and they aren't that great with them, Ferotte is out right now too. The Lions almost beat them yesterday. They'd be my first choice

2) I'd love to get another shot at Arizona. We should have beat them before and we're playing much better now.

3) Chicago is the weakest of the three IMO> The problem is, I don't want any part of going to Soldier Field in a few weeks: not good.

If Ferotte is out a couple of weeks, then that's bad news, why? B/c Atlanta plays them in 2 weeks.

With Ferotte under center, the Vikings have actually been pretty efficient on offense. With AP, all you need is a "bus driver" QB.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chicago would be my choice. Followed by Minny, depending on what happened today with Frerotte. Either of those games would be very winnable.

Frankly, though, I'd prefer a hard schedule from here on out. Barring injuries, I'd just as soon have to beat the best teams they can line up against us.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
To get to where we want to go, we'll probably have to beat the Giants twice, and beat Philly.

The rest of the teams are kind of a joke in comparison.