CFZ Simple Plan Moving Forward

817Gill

Reaction score
I do not.

Don't get me wrong, if you want to win a division or two, this D is fine. If you want to win some playoff games, this D is not fine.

In the playoffs, you no longer get to play easy teams. If your D cannot make a stop, you're not getting much past the first round.
We made a stop though. We gave our offense back the ball with 2:55 and. 2 timeouts. They held the niners to a lot less yards in the second half. They played a solid game, especially with the offensive struggles.

kskboys

Reaction score
We made a stop though. We gave our offense back the ball with 2:55 and. 2 timeouts. They held the niners to a lot less yards in the second half. They played a solid game, especially with the offensive struggles.
The Niners have a vanilla O. Need a much better D to stop the GB's, TB's, and LA's of the league, not to mention KC and TENN and BUFF.

Our D was good enough for this game, sure, but it would not have been for the games following if we'd have won. Must be able to dominate up front.

Our D is fine for the regular season, not good enough for the playoffs.

Verdict

Reaction score
Yeah but now you’re arguing against a whole system. You think I like how the QB market works? Some things are what they are. The reality is that if you’re a top 10-ish QB you’re gonna get a market setting deal. Arguing that shouldn’t happen isn’t one that is rooted in reality. At the end of the day that’s just how this thing works, and in 2 years when 5-6 guys top Dak’s price, his salary will be more in line with his ranking.

Again the logic makes sense to pay a guy what he’s ranked, but that’s not how the FA market works man. If it was so easy to live in the world you suggest, why don’t NFL teams do it? I’m just talking about the reality of the NFL. Completely understand your sentiment but that’s just not the system.
The way the NFL is set up now, everyone is following the same game plan and the problem with that theory is that only about 5 to 7 elite QBs may exist in the NFL at any given time.

When a Kyler Murray, Michael Vick or Lamar Jackson comes along, they are guys that the NFL does not know how to assess them or what to do with them. They want to cookie cutter them into Tom Brady. I think that’s a mistake.

Instead of trying to turn Dak into Tom Brady or P. Manning, play to HIS strengths. Have him run the ball 10 times per game. If he gets hurt, so be it. He’s not nor is he probably ever going to be P. Manning mentally or physically.

Also draft you a backup reasonably high that can run the ball and stress a defense. Put a few packages in every game for him. Use him and make a defense game plan for him. If Dak goes down plug and play him.

kskboys

Reaction score
The way the NFL is set up now, everyone is following the same game plan and the problem with that theory is that only about 5 to 7 elite QBs may exist in the NFL at any given time.

When a Kyler Murray, Michael Vick or Lamar Jackson comes along, they are guys that the NFL does not know how to assess them or what to do with them. They want to cookie cutter them into Tom Brady. I think that’s a mistake.

Instead of trying to turn Dak into Tom Brady or P. Manning, play to HIS strengths. Have him run the ball 10 times per game. If he gets hurt, so be it. He’s not nor is he probably ever going to be P. Manning mentally or physically.

Also draft you a backup reasonably high that can run the ball and stress a defense. Put a few packages in every game for him. Use him and make a defense game plan for him. If Dak goes down plug and play him.
I'm not against this. Trying to run a higher thinking type O is not working.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Anyone know what OC candidates are great run-schemers? Anyone out of the Shanahan tree would be great. Bill Callahan as an O-line coach would be a dream as well.
McAdoo would be the likely hire. He was a very OC in NY and would probably upgrade over Moore. He inherited the 27th ranked offense in NY, and improved them to 10th and then 8th before becoming HC

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It takes several years to draft and develop an elite OL. From Smith in 2011, Fred '13 and Martin '14 it takes 4-5 years. We already have cornerstones in Zack and La'El, but La'El is in decline and Zack is already 31. Our RB who was supposed to carry this offense in Zeke has declined and has a gigantic contract.

IT's not as simple as you say it is
This is true, but I think with our OL the right guy in this draft makes a big difference. The unit has was bad the 2nd half, but there are still some strong parts. Adding a plus starter makes it a good unit.

However I do believe we need a long term rebuild of the OL over the next few seasons