Simultaneous catch

BoysForLife

Reaction score
More like add another to the book of calls you only notice when they happen to the Cowboys. Nothing unusual about that call whatsoever.

The tripping calls in New England, on the other hand...

Absolutely correct..

that was 100% the right call, according to the rules.
I have no issue with that play whatsoever, from an officiating standpoint.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Add another one to the books of calls I’ve only seen surface against the boys.

to be clear I’m not claiming any sort or prejudice, it’s just wild how many times we fall victim to rare rulings. Jaylon had a poor game overall but he ended the half with two straight pass breakups in the endzone, and a would be Int for a td. Wild stuff
There was no simultaneous catch. The catch and TD had already been made before Jaylon reached in and tried to take the ball away.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Yeah , this was no tie.

As far as it being rare, I'd say it's about as rare as a FG kick bouncing off the upright and going in. Maybe not common , but certainly something you see occasionally if you're watching every week.

Proof

Reaction score
this rule is correct. it was put in place a few years back in a controversial catch and TD in GB playoff game....simultaneous catch goes to offense. it was called correctly.

again, I didnt say it was called incorrectly, just that it was a rule I wasn't familiar with and can't recall seeing happen (or have forgotten)

I didn’t even think it was simultaneous. Their guy had it and Jaylon used one arm on the ground to rip it. Not controversial. We did benefit from 3 missed face masks though

you're correct. I've been set straight throughout the thread.

There was no simultaneous catch. The catch and TD had already been made before Jaylon reached in and tried to take the ball away.

yup, I did not see the play live, only Jaylon running away with the ball and hearing the referees rulling. I spoke to soon.

NorTex

Reaction score
What I saw was a ball that wasn't secured by the receiver....I saw the ball move before a legal catch was completed. If that ball hits the ground it's an incompletion, and since it ended up in Jaylon's arms without touching the ground first, it should have been an interception.

foofighters

Reaction score

to be clear I’m not claiming any sort or prejudice, it’s just wild how many times we fall victim to rare rulings. Jaylon had a poor game overall but he ended the half with two straight pass breakups in the endzone, and a would be Int for a td. Wild stuff
That wasn't a simultaneous catch. Not even close.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Got a short memory, Dez had a dual catch vs the Jets a few years back.

That said, this wasn't dual catch, Jaylon came in after the fact.

CB61

Reaction score

That dude had the ball before Jalen and when both teams possess the ball it's just like baseball the tie goes to the runner in that case the ball is possessed by the offense that's the rule although after jail and put his hand on it I thought the tip of the ball hit the ground and he did not complete the catch according to the NFL rules I have to rewind it and look at it again

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I don’t believe in simultaneous catches, although I’m sure it’s possible.
Terrible to even call it that last night. The receiver clearly caught the ball and went down before Jalen reached in and pulled the ball out.

DallasCowboysRule!

Reaction score
It wasn’t even a simultaneous catch imo. The offensive player obviously caught the ball first. This is one call the refs got right

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Not to mention that Jaylon committed PI the previous two plays that weren't called.

He also had his back to the ball and had no idea where it was. They literally targeted this clown 3x in a row and they finally hit it. The first 2 were just off throws. Once he put the ball on his guy, Jaylon had zero chance.

exciter

Reaction score

Not sure why. Seen the same call numerous times. Most them the defensive player had alot stronger claim to the catch.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Jsmith had 3 really good coverages , they mentioned in on the broadcast.. his play being bad is overblown a bit like all our players given all the crushing losses..

simply as team all 4 groups are not playing up to par, 4th group is coaches..its just like a kick in the gut..the word sucks or terrible or horrible keep being thrown around of players play but in reality its just a few bad plays here and there...the players who got big contracts under the most scrutiny is I guess understandable but its being way overblown..

Smith made some really good plays for sure..

blueblood70

Reaction score
That was no tie. Jaylon reached in after possesion.
no he did get one hand in as the catch arrived, it was pinned between ball and chest of wr but for sure the wr made the full catch but smith was pulling on it the entire time and forced it out a bit late..

so it was the right call

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

It wasn't even a simultaneous catch. Jaylon had his arm in there while the guy caught the ball, then wrestled it away from him when they were on the ground.

InTheZone

Reaction score

this rule has been clear for several years. I'm just more ashamed that players don't know this. I've been a critic and fan of his all year, but I don't think he was terrible on those 3 consecutive plays like some are around here, I was more impressed with him on those plays than any other play during the game. Celebrating the catch though turned some sour I'm sure of it.