Since it's quiet-Kipers take on our new signings

texastwister

Reaction score
Q: With Dallas signing wide receiver Terrell Owens and offensive tackle Jason Fabini, what area of need will the Cowboys address in the first round? -- Rob, Charlestown, R.I.

A: Two of the Cowboys need areas entering the draft were offensive tackle and wide receiver. Signing Owens and Fabini takes those two out of the equation. The other need areas are at free safety, where they could look at Virginia Tech's Jimmy Williams, or at linebacker, where they could take a player like Iowa's Chad Greenway or Ernie Sims from Florida State. Addressing two of their biggest needs through free agency also gives the Cowboys maneuverability to trade down.

Probably guessing on SIms since he is in Dallas tomorrow for private workout:laugh2:

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Don't forget, Manny Lawson and Bobby Carpenter are suppose to come in this week too.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I don't think Sims or Greenway are good 3-4 fits.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Does anyone have Kiper's FAgency guide? I would appreciate them sharing his info on the players we got if so.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
I was hoping we could get a vet FS and draft a FS late, as I've heard we can get some nice FS's late in the first day/early in the second day.

I still want us to draft a young WR to replace either Owens or Glenn when they finally sputter and make their final catch...

I'm almost convinced we're going for an OLB with the first pick. I'm hoping Cutler/Young falls to us so we can trade down and get a pretty nice draft pick for it. Then we could still get a good OLB, and we won't have to worry about future QB busts...

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
texastwister said:
Q: With Dallas signing wide receiver Terrell Owens and offensive tackle Jason Fabini, what area of need will the Cowboys address in the first round? -- Rob, Charlestown, R.I.

A: Two of the Cowboys need areas entering the draft were offensive tackle and wide receiver. Signing Owens and Fabini takes those two out of the equation. The other need areas are at free safety, where they could look at Virginia Tech's Jimmy Williams, or at linebacker, where they could take a player like Iowa's Chad Greenway or Ernie Sims from Florida State. Addressing two of their biggest needs through free agency also gives the Cowboys maneuverability to trade down.

Probably guessing on SIms since he is in Dallas tomorrow for private workout:laugh2:

Does Kiper give any indication of who the RedStinks will draft in the 1st round this coming draft? :lmao:

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
Alexander said:
I always have heard good things about him.

Is that not correct?

I have only seen a handfull of games he played in college and from what I did see I was not impressed and then he ran and lifted poorly at the combine...

AJ Hawk who I thought disappeared in the Pennstate game won me over in the workouts because I was a little sour on him after watching the Penn State game but Greenway failed to do that..

IO could be wrong though, I was very excited when we got Antoinio Bryant and look how that turned out

lkelly

Reaction score
Greenway's hype meter peaked at the beginning of the season. Since then he was outplayed by most of the linebackers on Ohio State's starting D as well as those on Penn State's D. If I had to predict, he's a second rounder.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
junk said:
I don't think Sims or Greenway are good 3-4 fits.

I don't think so either. Lawson, Carpenter, Wimbley and Hawk all fit much, much better as 34 backers.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
I would take Carpenter, Wimbley or Lawson ahead of Greenway. Greenway is like Derrick Johnson, a guy that likes to run around blocks. Not a good 3-4 fit. Sims is way too small to play SOLB. I have no idea why we're talking to him.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Some drafts having DQwell Jackson as our first LB selection in the second round.

mschmidt64

Reaction score
Kiper is too concerned with need.

Take the best player.

Our needs are down to FS and OLB and we have guys that we can try there with a good amount of hope... Burnett and Beriault. If Burnett can't cut it, we can get by with Singleton there.

(Kicker, too, but you aren't gonna draft that)

None of these positions should be exploited like we had positions exploited last year. Don't reach on average players when better ones are there.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The_Jackal said:
Some drafts having DQwell Jackson as our first LB selection in the second round.

Now I have seen Jackson quite a bit compared to Greenway.

I really like Jackson's production. He certainly is a touch short, but he is very productive and aggressive. I would love to get him in the second round, then move the Ayodele person to the outside.

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
I know nothing of this Sims guy. Has anyone seen him play or heard anything good about him. I hear Lawson and Carpenter all the time.

Manster74

Reaction score
I still feel this draft is just too ripe for the boys to trade down once or twice and pick up some extra picks. All the while still picking up solid contributors. Now if they can just get a couple of other teams to go along with that idea.