Since Zuerlein's onside kick can only work once

AlienBoy

Reaction score
I think you'll see this type of onside kick regularly the rest of the season. When they changed the rule requiring an equal number of players on each side of the kicker, it was done with player safety in mind, to avoid the massive pile of players crashing into each other with a 10 yard running start on onside kick attempts. (Even Moose Johnston, who played special teams throughout his career said the onside kick is the most violent play in football.) This type of kick, because the ball moves slower, allows more players to close on the ball and get involved in the play. The fact is that, other than Zuerlein, the Cowboys players did not execute the play properly. I'm sure the design of the kick did not include a plan for the Falcon players to be mesmerized, but they just stood there looking at the ball until it was too late. To properly execute the play, the Cowboys players should have been blocking them away from the ball. The kicking team can't touch the ball until it goes 10 yards, but they can certainly block the other team before the ball goes 10 yards. They should have been blocking for the ball as if the ball were a ball-carrier trying to reach that 10 yards. This type of kick probably negates the purpose behind the rule change. A slow kick=more players involved, some of them getting a 20 yard running start.

This is just my prediction on onside kicks going forward the rest of the season, until the rule committe outlaws "watermelon" kicks.
Thank you for clarifying that. Was going to look up if it was legal to block the opposing players out of the way. Wondered why none of the Atlanta players got knocked out of the way if it is legal to do so, would've made recovery by the Cowboys much easier, especially since the Atlanta players were just standing around looking at the ball.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
So does he have to go back to performing normal traditional onside kicks from this point on?

...no. But he does need a different type of kick from the same presentation. He can use the watermelon presentation, but as other have said he needs to kick it differently.

There is now tons of tape and video memory of the Texas Twister from Zuerlein. What they might not be prepared for is a Alamo cannon shot at a defender when they see the watermelon presentation.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
I wonder if this was a Fassel thing or idea? What else does he have up his sleeve?

Zuerlein and Fassel have been working on this kick for seven years now.

It became something they have been perfecting because of the new rule changes.

The slow roller allows your players to be involved in a risky and unpredictable play because the ball is never so far down the field that your players are not near the opportunity.

A slow roller let's your players be close to the ball. Even if the defender tries to pounce on the ball because the ball never outpaces a defender off the line you still have a chance on a muff or a pouncing tackle to get the ball loose.

If you look at the mechanics and understand the variables this is a brilliant drawn up onside kick.

The "k" has less friction with the turf so spin is optimize.

It's on turf (very important for predictability) at a home field so its has been practiced ad nauseum so its basically a "putt" that Greg has been able to practice from the same two spots over and over again depending on which side of the field the opponent is defending.

It's like practicing the same putt over and over on the carpet of your house. You get a feel for the spin, the action and the amount you have to kick it to slowly roll ten yards.

Critical elements of the kick:
1. Slow enough for your players to stay with it if there is a play under ten yards.
2. On turf for predictability.
3. Must go at least ten yards if untouched.
4. Something that many have not seen before so you end up staring at it like it's a novelty.
5. Must be performed with new "k" balls so you get good action and uniform predictability.
6. Your team gets to practice it over and over again because its such a simple and predictable kick to recreate.

I know some have promoted the pound the sucker as hard as you can approach, but you have to acknowledge that that type of kick is surrendering to unpredictable outcomes because it is hard to recreate the same mechanics and results in practice over and over again.

Great job by Fassel, Zuerlein and Goodwin. Planning and practice in this case made perfect.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
But it has to be a surprise kick.

If I was Zuerlein and Fassel I would be working on a repeatable kick where I do the watermelon presentation, but hit it in a way to create predictable bouncing action for our players to work on recovery techniques.

If you have repeatable kick then practice the kick and recovery over and over again. Next time you need an onside everyone and their grandma will be expecting the Texas Twister or the Jedi Slow Roller and up comes a high bounder from the watermelon position.

There is your surprise.

wecasa

Reaction score
We had a kicker when I coached high school that could kick the ball really high while only traveling about 20 yards. So we called it the mortar shot and had him pick a side. It looked like he was kicking it deep as he took a full run up. We converted that 2 times in one game. It was glorious. Guys just hauled *** down field under it and caught it in mid air. Pass it on to Fassel if he needs another for the trick bag.

CWR

Reaction score
Probable. If teams adjust to put their hand guys in front then you basically try to hit and fight for the ball under the pile. I think it was an ingenious play because it stressed quick decision making. You could see Hurst figure it out too right before it crossed. I think it might be a new wrinkle for the play. Special teams is fun as heck to coach because you get to try creative solutions like this and we have one of the best at it.

Its pretty neat seeing the creativity we have on special teams. Especially after years of having garbage. We deserve this buddy.

CWR

Reaction score
so whats the rule, the receiving team can take possession of the ball before 10 yards, the kicking team must wait for it to go at least 10 yards. However if the receiving team attempts to take possession before 10 and fails to and touches it, then its live and the receiving team could conceivably get it before 10?
Is that how it works?
If so then I now get why Atl did what they did

I believe that to be correct. Atlanta can jump on it at any point. We cant until it hits 10 yards. If they touch the ball its a live ball. At least thats my understanding, and it explains their hesitation, kind of. If they didn't think it was gonna go 10 yards then why risk fumbling it? Problem is when it hit 8 or 9 yards Cowboy players were already boxing out. Lol

Last edited:

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
I believe that to be correct. Atlanta can jump on it at any point. We cant until it hits 10 yards. If they touch the ball its a live ball. At least thats my understanding, and it explains their hesitation, kind of. If they didn't think it was gonna go 10 yards then why risk fumbling it? Problem is when it hit 8 or 9 yards Cowboy players were already boxing out. Lol
Yes that's the rule. Another smart move was they kicked it to our sideline and the team was all yelling don't touch it. Bones looked like he was about to dive on the pile.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Zuerlein pulled off the trick perfectly, but it's only going to work once. From this point on, all Cowboys opponents are going to pounce on that ball before it goes 10 yards. They aren't going to stand and watch like the Falcons did.

So does he have to go back to performing normal traditional onside kicks from this point on?

The Cowboys last successful onside kick was in 2014. Whatever way it's tried it's almost always going to fail.

We got lucky on Sunday.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That watermelon kick may work again. Not that same way but it will force teams to try to pounce in the ball while surrounded by dallas players who will be knocking the snot out of them. This is the style moving forward, with the new rules where teams don’t get a running start.

Londonboy

Reaction score
Have a special shoe made for the kicker, a sand wedge made of foam rubber, it should theoretically enable You to kick the ball very high but not too far.
It works a treat in My head.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Yes. It was a one time thing at that win may be very important down the road.

cowboyed

Reaction score
It's a horizontal "squib" kick, also known as a short distance kick. Comparatively, if you are playing pool it would be putting "English" (side-spin) on the cue ball with a cue stick. Don't ever get up on a billiard table and play pool with whatever choice foot. Also if you insist on using fruity descriptions like "watermelon kick" at least have the decency to note whether the watermelon kick has seeds or is seedless, AND certified organic.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Zuerlein pulled off the trick perfectly, but it's only going to work once. From this point on, all Cowboys opponents are going to pounce on that ball before it goes 10 yards. They aren't going to stand and watch like the Falcons did.

If we are worried about what type of onside kicks we can use from now on, then it doesn't really matter does it? It would be more ideal to never be in that position.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If we are worried about what type of onside kicks we can use from now on, then it doesn't really matter does it? It would be more ideal to never be in that position.

You're right. It's best to win outright than to leave our fate to depend on a fluke victory. If we somehow do happen to try an offsides kick, it should prove interesting to see if we continue to attempt the spinning ball approach or the old standard approach. Yet, here's hoping it's not again necessary. ;)