Sirius Question

k19

Reaction score
Have a quick question for anyone who has the plug and play portable setup for sirius radio. I have Sirius in the car and love it. I'm looking into getting the portable receiver like the Siruis Sportster, JVC KT-SR2000, or Clarion Calypso. I am wanting to get something that I can add a boom box to so I can listen to it at work.

Question is for anyone who has the PNP setups how good are they as far as reception indoors and such, anyone recommend one over the other as far as brands????????

k19

Reaction score
I remember that thread but no one really answered to much about it. Maybe it was just because it was CC and most people have him on ignore :D Just kiddin CC

Seriously though I thought maybe a new thread free of NASCAR talk might get better responses

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
k19 said:
I remember that thread but no one really answered to much about it. Maybe it was just because it was CC and most people have him on ignore :D Just kiddin CC

Seriously though I thought maybe a new thread free of NASCAR talk might get better responses

Well to be honest I did not read it, just searched it and figured there might be something in there.

Try this link...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sirius+portable&btnG=Google+Search

That second link looks like it may be something like you are interested in.

k19

Reaction score
I forgot I had a consumer reports subscription and I am too lazt to google today. I was hoping to have some one just give me the info without having to work for it LOL

July 2004
XM and Sirius Satellite radio: A down-to-earth guide

HOOKUPS The SkyFi Receiver for XM (above) and the Audiovox SIR-PNP1 for Sirius (below), shown with car kits, also connect to home sound systems or home boom boxes.

Satellite radio is attracting lots of listeners who want a break from the homogenized playlists and endless ads on local FM and AM stations--and they don’t mind paying at least $10 a month for it.

We first listened to satellite radio two years ago, when it was mainly for cars. Sirius and XM, the two satellite-radio services, have since added programming and expanded at-home listening options. It was time to listen again.

SATELLITE OR NOT?

Satellite radio is for you if:

• Your taste goes far beyond Top 40--to big-band standards, world music, Broadway show tunes, garage-band rock, and more. Satellite delivers what landlocked radio doesn’t.

• You do plenty of highway driving and want the same channel coast-to-coast.

• You don’t like ads. The music channels on Sirius and XM are commercial-free, but some other channels run ads.

Sirius and XM are closely matched in monthly cost, programming, and receivers. Sirius costs more per month ($12.95 vs. $9.99 for XM), but has a slight edge in the cost of some hardware. Both have discounts for annual plans. Once you’ve settled on a service, you’re committed. To switch, you have to buy new hardware.

It’s easier to get satellite-radio reception in cars than in homes, we’ve found. During long drives, we could nearly always count on strong reception from both services, though overpasses and tunnels interfered. Getting good reception at home depends on positioning the radio’s antenna to pick up a strong signal from the satellites. The best reception wasn’t always in the room where we wanted the radio. Both services let you preview reception at home before you activate an account.

HOW TO CHOOSE

Pick programming. Sirius and XM don’t have identical channel lists. National Public Radio is only on Sirius, for example, and XM alone has Nascar sports/talk. Sirius has a channel devoted to gay and lesbian issues, as well as play-by-play for the National Football League and National Hockey League.

Both services offer at least 20 rock and pop channels, covering a range of music types. Both have three channels for classical music and three for Christian programming. Both also have continuous traffic and weather information for some 20 metropolitan areas.

Before you sign up, sample programs at www.sirius.com and www.xmradio.com.

Pick hardware. Satellite radio is often an option in new cars. The most economical way to add it to an older car is with a receiver that connects to the car radio through the tape-cassette slot. No tape deck? You’ll have to use an FM modulator. Sirius has docking kits for the car with built-in wireless FM modulators.

Good choices in hardware:

XM. The Delphi XM SkyFi Receiver SA 10000. It costs $130 and can be used with a car kit or home kit (each $69). It can also work with at-home boom boxes that cost $100 or $200 (the more expensive boom box includes AM, FM, and a CD/MP3 player).

For a complete package, try the Delphi XM Roady SA 10035, $125.

Sirius. The Audiovox SIR-PNP1, $90, or PNP2, $100. Kits for car or home use cost $30 to $50. The receivers work with a Sirius SIR-BB1 Boom Box, $100.

another few good links if anyone else is looking on going to sat rad
http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/satcom_radio_review2_031113.html

http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/ArticleID/5604/5604.html

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/electronics/satellite-radio-reviews/reviews.html

http://tech2.nytimes.com/2005/02/03...tml?ex=1116129600&en=938be23c0483f9bb&ei=5070

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
k19 said:

........ :yousuck: .......................

Back at ya!

k19

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
........ :yousuck: .......................

Back at ya!

You ever get your Sirius setup homer? Help me out here

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
k19 said:
You ever get your Sirius setup homer? Help me out here

Sadly I have not. It's not because I don't want to I just haven't had the time. I really wanted to get it beofer the draft because I was traveling the state a bunch but I will probably do it in a few weeks. People like you keep mentioning it and I get all hot on it again. It's just a matter of going to Circiut City and getting them to install it. I think I am going with the sportster and get the home and boom box package. I figure if I got to make a 1 year commitment to it I should be able to hear it wherever I go.

k19

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
Sadly I have not. It's not because I don't want to I just haven't had the time. I really wanted to get it beofer the draft because I was traveling the state a bunch but I will probably do it in a few weeks. People like you keep mentioning it and I get all hot on it again. It's just a matter of going to Circiut City and getting them to install it. I think I am going with the sportster and get the home and boom box package. I figure if I got to make a 1 year commitment to it I should be able to hear it wherever I go.

Get the 6 mth and you get a 50 buck rebate from Sirius, offers good until June 25th.

I'm tellin ya though its addictive. I am not too into it at 7 something AM when they are replaying total access but I do like Brandts Friday morning show and the afternoon one with Riggo. I've been sneaking off to the car from time to time to listen and driving slower on the way home so I can hear more of the show, not to mention taking a trip for coffee after I come in so I can listen then as well

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
k19 said:
Get the 6 mth and you get a 50 buck rebate from Sirius, offers good until June 25th.

I'm tellin ya though its addictive. I am not too into it at 7 something AM when they are replaying total access but I do like Brandts Friday morning show and the afternoon one with Riggo. I've been sneaking off to the car from time to time to listen and driving slower on the way home so I can hear more of the show, not to mention taking a trip for coffee after I come in so I can listen then as well

Thanks for the info. Is that good on a 12 month deal as well?