SI's Perloff: Cowboys playing like Super Bowl losers

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Perloff's Blog
Cowboys playing like Super Bowl losers
about 16 hours ago :: 42532 Views

What does the Cowboys' ascension to the top of the NFC really mean? They're No. 1 in a group of pretenders. Their substandard conference affiliation means an inflated regular-season record and, at best, a reserved spot on the sacrificial altar come Feb. 3.

Look at today's win over the Giants? This was supposed to a statement game, but it proves nothing. New York had one victory over a winning team this season, and that was over a Commanders team that is sliding into oblivion. The Giants have to stop a real offense just once before they are part of a serious contender conversation.

Dallas' playoff path to Super Bowl XLII will be paved with mediocrity. The Packers are a fluky 8-1. How many jump balls can Green Bay's WRs come down with? The Lions are 6-3 and will probably end up 8-8. The four teams in the NFC South are barely worth mentioning. And the NFC West is even worse.

The Cowboys haven't distinguished themselves in three games against the AFC this season. Throw out their win against the irrelevant Dolphins. Dallas was outplayed by Buffalo in that last-second Monday night win. And despite Terrell Owens' postgame claims, they didn't show me any reason to believe they could beat the Patriots in a rematch of their 48-27 loss in Week 6.

The ‘Boys are a very good team. Tony Romo is peforming up to his gaudy contract and celebrity girlfriend, T.O. is playing at a Hall of Fame level and the running game is solid. But Dallas is like Farmer Ted in Sixteen Candles ... the king of the geeks. A barracuda in a pool full of NFC guppies. Problem is, the Cowboys will face a great white shark if they reach the Super Bowl.

Everyone in Dallas should be proud of the upcoming trip to Glendale, Ariz., ... and the inevitable loss, followed by the offseason drama (probably Owens-related) and the 2008 Super Bowl loser's jinx collapse.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
right, let's just not even have the Superbowl this year, save everybody a lot of money..

Parche

Reaction score
First we need to get to the SB, then we´ll see, we´re no chicago.

AtlCB

Reaction score
Note to Mr. Perloff: The Cowboys can only play the teams on their schedule.

Also, the Pats schedule isn't much better. Other than the Cowboys and Colts, the've played teams who wish they were mediocre.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Gotta love it when the biggest insult anyone can throw at us is that we're going to the Super Bowl.

DBoys

Reaction score
SB years to present, Patriots have played in the worst division in football.

Nav22

Reaction score
Any Given Sunday... if we get to the big game, we'll belong there. And with #9 behind center, we'll play like it.

lspain1

Reaction score
Perloff is hating now to get ahead of the Christmas rush. I guess the Patriots will avoid any injuries or anything else that might cause a problem between now and the SB. I hope he continues in this vein. This kind of writing is bound to cause him an ulcer! :p:

onetrickpony

Reaction score
baj1dallas;1761429 said:
right, let's just not even have the Superbowl this year, save everybody a lot of money..

Yeah, lets just cancel the season and give the trophy to the Pats.

:p:

Gordon

Reaction score
baj1dallas;1761429 said:

Seriously.. Do these same reporters/fans that are ready to hand over the Lombardi trophy to the Pats not remember 2001 when those very Pats did the "unthinkable" and beat the juggernaut Rams?

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Do you know why this kind of stuff is happening. Because most in the media were not paying attention. I told a friend of mine this offseason that Stevie Wonder could coach this team to the playoffs...it was stubborness as to why we have not gotten over the hump. ANd the stubborness has been removed. When you read stuff like this you realize that this person does not know that in the last 4 years we have started 8-3....7-3....8-4...with a 6-10 mixed in when we cut our starting QB right before the start of camp. We have been building this thing through the draft. We are young at every position except WR. We have 2 #1s in the upcoming draft. THERE WILL BE NO COLLAPSE. We don't have Rex Grossman at QB...or Jake Delhome at QB. We have a bona fide Pro Bowler that is doing things IN ONE YEAR that Aikman needed 13 years to do. So anyone who thinks we will collapse if we lose the Super Bowl is just screaming "I hate Dallas and I hope they are not going to go on a run like they did in the 90s."

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
The man is definately entitled to his opinion.

I don't know how much I can stress the fact that we get to prove how good we are on the field.

We got a chance to take on the New England Juggernaunt and we lost.

Now all we can do is continue to win, work ourselves into the Playoffs and take it game by game.

Folks, this is not the BCS, you get to PROVE how good you are and if you win, you WILL play for the Vince Lombardi Trophy.

Let this man have his opinion, the Cowboys have a chance to prove him wrong.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Well then I guess this season is over, why bother keep playing, just hand over the SB trophy to NE. I mean best team or one with best record ALWAYS wins, right?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
mickgreen58;1761527 said:
The man is definately entitled to his opinion.

I don't know how much I can stress the fact that we get to prove how good we are on the field.

We got a chance to take on the New England Juggernaunt and we lost.

Now all we can do is continue to win, work ourselves into the Playoffs and take it game by game.

Folks, this is not the BCS, you get to PROVE how good you are and if you win, you WILL play for the Vince Lombardi Trophy.

Let this man have his opinion, the Cowboys have a chance to prove him wrong.

I agree. Right now the Pats are showing they are the team to beat as a Cowboy fan all I can hope for is to see the Cowboys get another opportunity to play the Pats and then see what happens. In the 90's the same was being said about the NFC who ever won the championship game between Dallas and SF would win the SB and I don't any of us were offended by that

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;1761443 said:
Gotta love it when the biggest insult anyone can throw at us is that we're going to the Super Bowl.
I know, right.
"You're so bad, you're just going to make it to the super bowl, but you're not going to win it. So there!"

I remember when just making it to the playoffs used to be a dream.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1761539 said:
I agree. Right now the Pats are showing they are the team to beat as a Cowboy fan all I can hope for is to see the Cowboys get another opportunity to play the Pats and then see what happens. In the 90's the same was being said about the NFC who ever won the championship game between Dallas and SF would win the SB and I don't any of us were offended by that

I agree, the AFC is the better conference. I think what annoys people is the fact that A) they act like it has been that way all the time B) and they think that bottom dwellers in the AFC would ride roughshot over the NFC.

If New England and Dallas both play a perfect game, I think the Patriots still have an edge over us because experience and I think the Referees will give them the benefit of the doubt.

As I stated, the best team doesn't always win, you got luck being thrown in there and the Cowboys have a chance against the Patriots.

The Cowboys are a team on the rise. I would love for them to snatch the Lombardi Trophy this year but the fact of the matter is, this isn't a one shot deal, the Cowboys will be in the hunt for a long time as long as we have good solid Quarterback play.

- Mike G.