Skeptic's Thoughts on the 2007 Draft

Skeptic

Reaction score
Gentlemen.

First of all, I'd like to congratulate the Mods and the Admins on an amazing performance in concerns to the hit that the servers must have felt, especially in regards to the chat room on Saturday. Class.

With that said, I'd like to briefly go over some of the good things that I saw with the draft this year.

We now may have the potential to be the best team in the NFL when it comes to Linebackers. Looking at what could be our lineup at LB, we literally have FOUR 1st rounders at the position:

Ware
Ellis
Carpenter
Spencer

Outside of these guys, we have studs such as Ayodele and James (I took quite a beating in chat with my faith in James...let's see what Phillips can do with him that Parcells and Zimmer couldn't). Not to mention the things that largely untested players such as Kevin Burnett might bring to our rotation.

Overall, I really couldn't be happier with some of the things that I think our Defense can accomplish this year, especially with the attacking mentality that Wade Phillips brings to Dallas. Can't wait to see what he does with Spencer on the Outside with Ware opposite.

Offense:

Despite some of the moaning that I've heard about us not selecting Quinn, I think that the fact we traded the pick can only aid Romo in his job security, and most importantly, Romo will be a lot more likely to not kill us on his contract after this season if he pans out...we wanted him and didn't do anything to suggest otherwise.

The line looks good. Flozell may be gone after this year, but with McQuistan, Columbo and some of the projects that we drafted this year I think that we're looking pretty good down the road and we have some flexibility in the (knock on wood) event that injuries happen this year.

Special Teams:

Converted QBs always worry me and drafting kickers can be dubious unless you're sure that the guy you got is a guy that's gonna make a difference. However, I'm willing to trust the Cowboys here....special teams evaluation has never been a strong suit...I thought Skyler Green was going to be a total disaster last year, but then.....

In Conclusion:

No matter what you think about Dallas' draft, I think we can all agree that it's going to be a lovefest 363 days from now on this board. We basically had no real holes going into the draft, we already look dangerous for 2007, and giving a good team two picks, one potentially Top-10 next year, is never good business for the rest of the NFL.

We can evaluate our weaknesses this year, whatever they may present themselves to be and correct them next year as we see fit with those two-first rounders.

And then there's always the possbility of McFadden.

The future looks bright gentlemen, and I have to say it......

It's good to be a Cowboy fan right now.

Can't wait for September.

Skep

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
James will be fine without Zimmer putting him the wrong situations. Ellis will be a DE. I seriously doubt Wade will use him as a LB.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister;1479729 said:
James will be fine without Zimmer putting him the wrong situations. Ellis will be a DE. I seriously doubt Wade will use him as a LB.
Wade's already said Ellis will be staying at LB. It doesn't mean he won't be used some at DE in the nickle.

Reaction score
I am in total agreement with you Skep. I don't think we have look this promising in a many of yrs. I also stand with you in defending James and his play. I believe a strong rotation under Phillip's scheme with the LB corp will allow him to play like he did in 05. And to add to that, I strongly believe that getting one of those top FS was a waste of money. Trust me, Watkins will prevail as the field general, covering FS we desire. I thinking with the development of Hurd and Miles we can see the future at the WR position. If not we now have two first rd picks to do something about it. I look forward to TC and September alike.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Great post Skeptic...

I'm more wary of James' abilties than you are, and am not expecting much out of Ellis this year, but overall, I think you're pretty on the nosey here.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1479753 said:
Wade's already said Ellis will be staying at LB. It doesn't mean he won't be used some at DE in the nickle.

Ummm ok thanks for the correction. I would think his injury would keep him from playing lb.

burmafrd

Reaction score
James primary problem was his inability to cover on backs. I do not see how that will change unless he gets a lot better.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Skeptic;1479560 said:
The future looks bright gentlemen, and I have to say it......

It's good to be a Cowboy fan right now.
100% total agreement. Well said. :D

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1479783 said:
Ummm ok thanks for the correction. I would think his injury would keep him from playing lb.

guys usually come back from achilles injuries, it just takes a long time.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Skeptic that was a good post.

I am looking forward to an attacking Defense so much that I would just like to fast forward through the summer to Training Camp.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Excellent post Sir.....I'm in total agreement. I think we will all enjoy knowing we can plug whatever holes surface this next season. It's great knowing we have our butt covered for a change. :)