Skins after Schulters...Taylor in BIG trouble

ljs44

Reaction score
Wheat said:
hmmmm, the didn't mention Schulters at all during Andy's sports update on 980.

weird.

heard it at the first break, around 9:20.

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
yeah. I'll be listening to the rest of Kornheisers show anyways....so. I'm sure they'll mention it or at least mini-camp.

ljs44

Reaction score
Wheat said:
yeah. I'll be listening to the rest of Kornheisers show anyways....so. I'm sure they'll mention it or at least mini-camp.

Hopefully Andy will have it during the Sporst Extravaganza :rolleyes:

yesfan

Reaction score
And to top it all off story, too funny.

Dixon likely signed as insurance policy By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

In a move that adds experience to the secondary mix but which, perhaps more importantly, provides insurance against the possibility that Sean Taylor's legal entanglements could sideline him for a portion of the season, the Washington Commanders on Saturday signed free agent safety Tony Dixon.

Tony Dixon
Safety

2004 SEASON STATISTICS
Tot Ast Solo FF Sack Int
30 30 0 2 3 0

Contract details were not immediately available, but it is believed that Dixon signed a one-year deal that includes a $540,000 base salary. The sides executed the contract shortly after Dixon auditioned for Commanders coaches and team officials on Saturday afternoon and impressed his audience.

A four-year veteran, Dixon had played his entire career with the Dallas Cowboys, who chose him in the second round of the 2001 draft. As an unrestricted free agent this spring, Dixon drew late interest from several teams, and worked out for the 49ers last week.

Dixon, 25, has started at both safety positions and so he will present ever-creative coordinator Gregg Williams with some options on how to deploy him.

The former Alabama standout is a solid defender against the run and a very effective blitzer. He has 96 tackles, six sacks, one interception and 10 passes defensed for his career. Dixon has appeared in 56 games and started 15 contests, including seven in 2004. He is also a standout special teams player.

It is not known if the Commanders considered any other candidates before adding Dixon, but ESPN.com reported on Friday in its "Tip Sheet" column that club officials began making calls earlier this week to check out available safety prospects.

Those calls were a result, at least in part, of Taylor's ongoing legal problems.

The team's first-round choice in 2004, Taylor faces two felony counts of aggravated assault with a firearm and a misdemeanor count of battery from an incident in South Florida last month. Taylor will be arraigned on June 24. Published reports on Saturday indicated that Miami-Dade law enforcement officials are confident that they have sufficient evidence to prosecute the former University of Miami star.

Taylor also faces potential league sanctions under terms of the NFL's personal conduct policy, and the Commanders could well be without his services early in the season. Despite his absence from all offseason activities, the team has been publicly supportive of Taylor, and coach Joe Gibbs recently excused him from all of the remaining practices to deal with his legal situation.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com. To check out Len's chat archive, click here .

ravidubey

Reaction score
yesfan said:
The Skins can fine him, but what is money to Taylor? Plus, the NFL Players Association won't let the fine be too outrageous. The team can't hire a babysitter, even though that might be the only way to keep him out of trouble and even that is no guarantee that Taylor stays out of trouble.

No, all the Skins can do is cross their fingers and hope that Taylor wises up. Considering most of today's athletes learn they can get away with anything, it's possible Taylor won't come around until he is wearing another uniform. The Commanders in their current salary cap situation can't afford to see that happen.

Wrong. They can suspend him for conduct detrimental to the team. That means game checks and even signing bonus cap space are returned to the team.

I'd say Taylor's behavior qualifies as detrimental conduct, I mean if it isn't then what is?

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Wheat said:
hmmmm, the didn't mention Schulters at all during Andy's sports update on 980.

weird.
I heard it as well earlier this morning. Damm you're jumpy this morning Buff. ;)

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Danny White said:
I heard it as well earlier this morning. Damm you're jumpy this morning Buff. ;)

Any talk about the Skins going after Schulters is nothing more than wishful thinking, anyway; they lost out on RW McQuarters, and they wanted him pretty badly, because they couldn't meet his asking price...

Schulters will command more than McQuarters did...

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
well, I don't know.

Tony K has been talking to the beat reporter from the Washington Post for the past 10 min....... They covered Taylor....and haven't mentioned anything about bringing in anybody else.

So, I don't know.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Wrong. They can suspend him for conduct detrimental to the team. That means game checks and even signing bonus cap space are returned to the team.

I'd say Taylor's behavior qualifies as detrimental conduct, I mean if it isn't then what is?

The team can suspend him. But not without pay. They could fine him but nothing has been proven.

The league doesnt suspend players just for getting into trouble. Even if they do have the power to do so, it just doesnt happen as far as I know.

Now if a conviction occurs, then of course the league will likely suspend him for for period with monetary implications.

The game that Taylor was suspended for last season after his drunk driving arrest (which BTW the league didnt suspend or fine him for), was a team suspension and it wasnt because of his arrest. It was because he was AWOL from practice the next morning.

I was going to add onto the thread about 4 teams being interested in Schulters, that I was surprised the Commanders werent listed as a team, since every player in the league are projected to be wanted by the Commanders. One day later viola "Commanders interested". Too freakin' funny.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
Wheat said:
As far as "Couldn't happen to a nicer Organization".... you're a Jerk.

No...he is not a jerk...you are just confused.

He is simply a Cowboys fan. And as such has no love for the skins.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
Wheat said:
because those reports are wrong more than they're right.

People love to go after the media for getting wrong info on Politics. But nobody wants to make Lenny P responsible for reporting the Skins has signed Samari Rolle to a 15 mil bonus....... even though he signed with Baltimore and there was no truth to the story.

Agreed.

But we are not simply talking about reports here. We are talking about multiple Safety signings by an organization that is cap strapped.

It is not the articles that lend the weight to this grassy knoll.....it is the moves being made by the franchise itself.