'Skins fined for practice squad violations

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ASHBURN, Va. (July 27, 2005) -- The NFL fined the Washington Commanders $45,000 for violating practice-squad rules in 2004.

During a Nov. 12 practice, the Commanders used one more practice-squad player than they were allowed, leading to the fine.

Two days before that practice, Washington had cut receiver Gari Scott from the practice squad. But two days later, without any other practice-squad player being released, Scott practiced, giving the Commanders nine practice-squad members on the field.

Commanders coach Joe Gibbs and assistant head coach for defense Gregg Williams said afterward they had found a loophole making this legal.

NFL rules stipulate that clubs must submit any roster moves by 4 p.m. The Commanders apparently believed they could use the extra player during practice as long as another player was cut by 4 p.m. But the league said there was no such loophole.

The Commanders had no comment on the ruling.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/WAS/8681755

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Gibbs is a cheat. He got smacked for the minicamp thing recently, the contact issue...and with this one it was even more obviously intentional..looking for 'loopholes' that don't exist or driving a tractor thru a mousehole if one does.

I used to think the man had some integrity, and that if he failed it would be about how the game had passed him by. But what his second go round is starting to point to is he can't stand up to the the closer scrutiny in today's NFL. An ethical issue, really.

The phony.

chargrove

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Gibbs is a cheat. He got smacked for the minicamp thing recently, the contact issue...and with this one it was even more obviously intentional..looking for 'loopholes' that don't exist or driving a tractor thru a mousehole if one does.

I used to think the man had some integrity, and that if he failed it would be about how the game had passed him by. But what his second go round is starting to point to is he can't stand up to the the closer scrutiny in today's NFL. An ethical issue, really.

The phony.
Wow. You said that really well. I'm diggin' it....

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
ASHBURN, Va. (July 27, 2005) -- The NFL fined the Washington Commanders $45,000 for violating practice-squad rules in 2004.

During a Nov. 12 practice, the Commanders used one more practice-squad player than they were allowed, leading to the fine.

Two days before that practice, Washington had cut receiver Gari Scott from the practice squad. But two days later, without any other practice-squad player being released, Scott practiced, giving the Commanders nine practice-squad members on the field.

Commanders coach Joe Gibbs and assistant head coach for defense Gregg Williams said afterward they had found a loophole making this legal.

NFL rules stipulate that clubs must submit any roster moves by 4 p.m. The Commanders apparently believed they could use the extra player during practice as long as another player was cut by 4 p.m. But the league said there was no such loophole.

The Commanders had no comment on the ruling.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/WAS/8681755

I'm wondering why they had a player they had cut practice anyway?