Skins' "offensive innovation"

lkelly

Reaction score
I guess this really belongs in the NFL Zone, but hey, I'm lazy.

Read this earth-shattering article on the new offensive innovations (well, innovation) the Skins are going to employ this year.

Commanders' Offense Is Put Under the Gun

Let me get this straight. Three pages in the Washington Post just to tell us that they are going to use the shotgun? Does someone actually think this is going to be a Mike Martz like offensive revolution? It is the freakin' shotgun! I'm guessing the Post is now in Snyder's hip pocket again and they'll print anything. Next week: Skins To Use Tee On Kickoffs!

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
After how awful the offense was the 1st 10+ games last year. Hopefully (for fans of the team), they worked it out and another year in the system will make a difference.

Enough of changing coaches, QB's, etc, etc.

It all goes back to being sick of the specific players, and just rooting for a jersey.

Hoov

Reaction score
"when your not successful you'll try anything" - sounds desparate..... the offense has been scaled back and simplified, that's all well and good but after a few games and everyone figures out your team is only successful at running certain plays your in big trouble if you cant mix it up more.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Skinsboy26 said:

Welcome to a good message board...and that's from an Eagles fan.

Tip: Read the rules!

douglas_640_480.jpg

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
The big deal about the Commanders using the shotgun is that in Gibbs first tenure he refused to utilize it, because of his max protect schemes. So for Commanders fans it is sort of major news.

Just my take on it.

joseephuss

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
The big deal about the Commanders using the shotgun is that in Gibbs first tenure he refused to utilize it, because of his max protect schemes. So for Commanders fans it is sort of major news.

Just my take on it.

That is similar to when Chan Gailey revived the shotgun when he came to Dallas. Norv Turner and Enier Zampese didn't use the shotgun. Troy spent many successful seasons never playing from the gun. Too bad, the rest of Gailey's schemes weren't that great and that his in game play calling was just horrible.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
joseephuss said:
That is similar to when Chan Gailey revived the shotgun when he came to Dallas. Norv Turner and Enier Zampese didn't use the shotgun. Troy spent many successful seasons never playing from the gun. Too bad, the rest of Gailey's schemes weren't that great and that his in game play calling was just horrible.

Or that he tried to make a system work with the wrong players.

I honestly think if he had the right players for his system it could have worked but man alive how many times did we need to try and see Emmitt rush around the end when he just did not have the speed for that style.

burmafrd

Reaction score
The shotgun is a very good formation on those downs when you HAVE to pass. BUT only if you have a very good center that can snap the ball right- that is almost a long snap and not many regular centers can do that reliably. But Landry used it for a long time and did well with it. I always thought it was a good formation to have providing you have a good enough center. This formation gives the QB two things: he is farther back making the rush have to take more time to get to him, and it allows him to stay upright so that he can read the D better. He has better vision downfield. The down side is that you MUST have a good snapper for your center. The running thing can be done if you have a back with quickness (like JJ)- and this is really for those downs that you HAVE to pass on.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Give Gibbs a break. A lot has changed since he last coached.

They now have these "horseless buggies" that he can take to the stadium.

Televisions now come in black & white AND color.

And there's this new-fangled telephone dohickey... "Although I'll be damned if I can get any of my players to return my calls on it! (unless they're in the poke, that is)"

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Danny White said:

And there's this new-fangled telephone dohickey... "Although I'll be damned if I can get any of my players to return my calls on it! (unless they're in the poke, that is)"

:lmao: :lmao2:

k19

Reaction score
Danny White said:

Don't forget the the lightbulb and that helmets now have face masks and are no longer made of leather