Video: Skip Bayless and SAS discuss Dez vs Irvin

ftghb

Reaction score
I can't believe what I'm even watching. That dez bryant barely put a pinkie out of bounds while making a catch in traffic and skip bayless puts that on him as loser's mentality is just vomit inducing.

Is dez bryant still somewhat hotheaded and immature? yes. Is he even near michael irvin in terms of a complete receiver in his prime? not close yet. But he's not even remotely the selfish locker room cancer that they're making him out to be.

This guy has had a much harder and longer road than most players in the league, yet he's come so far not just as a player, but as an accountable person. Just yesterday he completely diffused questions about a contract extension and talked about the respect and love he has for his job. When I look back at how far he's come, I'm so proud and actively rooting for Dez to succeed.

And then you get these dillweed two bit hack journalists trying to knock him down.

Zordon

Reaction score
I can't believe what I'm even watching. That dez bryant barely put a pinkie out of bounds while making a catch in traffic and skip bayless puts that on him as loser's mentality is just vomit inducing.

Is dez bryant still somewhat hotheaded and immature? yes. Is he even near michael irvin in terms of a complete receiver in his prime? not close yet. But he's not even remotely the selfish locker room cancer that they're making him out to be.

This guy has had a much harder and longer road than most players in the league, yet he's come so far not just as a player, but as an accountable person. Just yesterday he completely diffused questions about a contract extension and talked about the respect and love he has for his job. When I look back at how far he's come, I'm so proud and actively rooting for Dez to succeed.

And then you get these dillweed two bit hack journalists trying to knock him down.

This is the first debate btw them that made me legit mad. These idiots in the national media have a completely different perception of Dez from the reality. Dez is the most humble, genuine person on this team.

ftghb

Reaction score
This is the first debate btw them that made me legit mad. These idiots in the national media have a completely different perception of Dez from the reality. Dez is the most humble, genuine person on this team.

and skip bayless has the audacity to claim himself as a cowboy fan. He sees everything from an outsider's perspective. He only ever talks about the 90's cowboys and sucks on Jimmy Johnson's taint. He has no allegiance as a fan. frontrunner, bandwagoner (whatever you want to call it) through and through. I consider myself pretty fair minded. Even on these forums, the worst thing you could catch someone saying about dez bryant is that he immature, and bit of a knucklehead.

But remind me if dez bryant has ever self promoted himself, angling for more $ in a contract extension, alienating teammates. Then consider that the national media consistently takes dez's quotes out of context (lions game anyone?) and BSPN blows it up into this "me vs. megatron" thing and you have this totally contrived image of dez bryant that doesn't match who the person actually is.

sideon

Reaction score
Real Cowboys fans know everything they said in that video was complete bs. Of course Dez still has some maturing to do and if we came from his background we would need to mature as well, but these fools actually think they know what they're talking about, skippy is the worst because he's still living off those terrible glorified gossip books he wrote. Skip bring up the Giants game as an example of Dez not coming through, yet he won't bring up the GB game last year where Dez saved Romo from what should've been an int that turned into a ridiculous td. Dez is considered by every team to be one of the most dangerous players on the field, i just hope the Cowboys finally realize that this season.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
Winning cures all...as he continues to let his play on the field do his talking, he will eventually be seen the way we see him.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
They know the reality, ESPN has them create the perception.

Those two are more actors than anything else, at this point, I would say.

thechosen1n2

Reaction score
Michael Irvin is one of my favorite players of all time. I loved his fire, passion, and emotion. What I am about to say is no knock on Mike BUT....

With all due respect, Mike would not have even made it to that ball against the Giants to go out of bounds, much less Drew Pearson. This is no disrespect to the first 2 88s but it is undue hate on Bryant.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Michael Irvin is one of my favorite players of all time. I loved his fire, passion, and emotion. What I am about to say is no knock on Mike BUT....

With all due respect, Mike would not have even made it to that ball against the Giants to go out of bounds, much less Drew Pearson. This is no disrespect to the first 2 88s but it is undue hate on Bryant.

My sentiments exactly. It's really funny that they're knocking Bryant for coming up short on what would've been an absolutely amazing play on a desperation throw.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Television and radio sports talk shows. Little or no factual reporting. Highly speculative sensationalism. Basically, we're having (yet) another discussion about crap, which we understood beforehand would be crap. Who could have foreseen true sports journalism essentially peaking with newspaper box scores in the early 90's?

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Television and radio sports talk shows. Little or no factual reporting. Highly speculative sensationalism. Basically, we're having (yet) another discussion about crap, which we understood beforehand would be crap. Who could have foreseen true sports journalism essentially peaking with newspaper box scores in the early 90's?

How about any journalism?

Can we get some unbiased reports please? (Just the facts, ma'am)

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
For once, Stephen A. Smith brought up some great points that were begging to be made in refuting Skip's contention that Dez is a "selfish" player that isn't fit to be compared with Michael Irvin. In truth, Michael Irvin had his moments of selfishness as well, as anyone knows who played with him and accompanied him on the sidelines -- especially when he demanded the ball by screaming for it during games. Dez may not have reached MI's level yet on the playing field but surely, he's still a player firmly involved in his ongoing development. It's certainly also a salient point that having Jimmy Johnson, Troy Aikman and Emmit Smith as team partners were entirely different and more commanding levels of support than Dez has had available to augment his career with the Cowboys.

theSHOW

Reaction score
Skip: "Dez is a ME guy"...*** idiot.

Both Skip and Steven A have some very valid points on Dez being a "ME GUY" and falling short in many ways. This board has been biased against any criticism whatsoever on DB. Thankfully DB has talent and room to grow. Like Skip I am in the wait and see mode on him.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
For once, Stephen A. Smith brought up some great points that were begging to be made in refuting Skip's contention that Dez is a "selfish" player that isn't fit to be compared with Michael Irvin. In truth, Michael Irvin had his moments of selfishness as well, as anyone knows who played with him and accompanied him on the sidelines -- especially when he demanded the ball by screaming for it during games. Dez may not have reached MI's level yet on the playing field but surely, he's still a player firmly involved in his ongoing development. It's certainly also a salient point that having Jimmy Johnson, Troy Aikman and Emmit Smith as team partners were entirely different and more commanding levels of support than Dez has had available to augment his career with the Cowboys.

I think Irvin and Bryant are very similar in a lot of ways.

Both are very vocal, competitive players.

Both had immaturity problems, with Irvin's (quite frankly) being more concerning.

Both believe the ball is always theirs and that they are always open.

These things are part of their makeup that makes them the kind of players they are.