Skip Bayless Books

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I've read the book by him The Boys (About the 1992 Championship Season) but I found at the library the other night two more by him called Hell-Bent and God's Coach.

I checked out Hell-Bent but I was just wondering if anyone else read these other two and what they thought of them.

I actually enjoyed The Boys and I thought it was very good.

FCBarca

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2177831 said:
I've read the book by him The Boys (About the 1992 Championship Season) but I found at the library the other night two more by him called Hell-Bent and God's Coach.

I checked out Hell-Bent but I was just wondering if anyone else read these other two and what they thought of them.

He'd be better off going under a ghost name because the second I see 'Bayless' I think useless

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
me too, everyone, especially die hard dallas cowboys fans, knows how bayless hates the cowboys. How he downs them on espn, puts them down, and goes on and on about it. I wouldnt read any of his books if they were the last books in the world.
I would write up my own dallas cowboys book, and probably do alot better job then he does. Just my opinion, everyone is entiltled to their opinion.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Well in the one I read, The Boys, he didn't come off as anti-Cowboys at all. He just seemed to be doing a book about that season where some of it was negative toward things that were going on but it seemed to be more writing about the negative feelings Jimmy had toward some of the things Jerry was doing and what not.

Hell-Bent, just reading the cover, seems like it's more about talking about all the bad and dark stuff of the time (I believe it centers around the 94-95 seasons) but I'm not sure how much. I'll let you guys know after I read it.

Generally I don't pay him much mind, on TV and Radio, cause he's one of those shock guys. He likes to say the things that he knows are going to get him attention and that's why he likes to ride the Cowboys cause he knows it will get him attention. He's obviously good at that so I don't take what he says with anymore attention than anything Colin Cowherd says.

Dimuha

Reaction score
I think that Bayless is actually a Cowboys fan, he's just very bitter at the organisation for whatever reason.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
I try to skip Bayless's books whenever possible.

Actually, "the Boys" was pretty good. It was only later in life that he became like he is today.

FCBarca

Reaction score
Bayless is a lot like Baseless which is basically how he derived his rep...It's his style, acerbic...Tries to be controversial and generate discussions...He tries to dig up dirt and wait for the dust to settle and see what he was able to kick up...There are other 'journalists' like him out there and I have no taste for it

juck

Reaction score
Why does he hate the Cowboys?There is something to do with Aikman or something...

Cincycowboy

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2177831 said:

I have both Hellbent and the Boys. Hellbent focuses on all the drug and arrest stuff. Not nearly as good as the Boys.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
God's Coach was mostly pretty interesting to me because he was able to interview a lot of the old Cowboys and the book is filled with great anecdotes. The only thing that bothered me about it was I thought he came down too hard on Landry. If you can get past the fact that he has Landry in his cross-hairs, it's pretty good.

The Boys was also pretty interesting, but I don't remember as much about it. I enjoyed the first one more because of all the stories about the Cowboys of the 1970s and 80s.

I didn't enjoy Hell-bent. It was low on anecdotes and high on sensational stuff.

Bayless is a talented writer, but he has always been about shock value and that's ruining him. On TV, he can't even be taken seriously.