Sky Is The Limit for Micah, Cowboys Defense in '23

morasp

Reaction score
I just had a thread about all the defensive draft picks we drafted. Looking forward to seeing the defense shut other teams down this season.

FRISCO, Texas — Despite being frustrated with the pitching in the 10th annual Reliant Home Run Derby on Wednesday night, third-year linebacker turned defensive end Micah Parsons couldn't contain his excitement about what's in store for the Dallas defense in 2023.
It began with the addition of Stephon Gilmore earlier this offseason, but was amplified even more when defensive tackle Mazi Smith was selected in the first round of the NFL Draft last week to help bolster one of the top defenses in the league from a season ago.
"He's gonna add tremendous help in the run game," Parsons said about Smith. "He's low, he's powerful, strong and big-bodied. We've been missing a young guy too, not just trading for guys. Just a young big boulder that will make a difference in this run defense and pushing the pocket."

"Just watching his film, watching this guy running through guys, how explosive he is coming off," he said about what stood out. "This is the type of guy we could really use."
The third round selection of Texas linebacker DeMarvion Overshown also excites Parsons as he sees yet another athletic presence being added to the second level that can also assist in getting into the backfield.
"I just like how athletic he is," he said. "Him and Devin Harper have a lot of similarities in their game. It's just all about getting him ready for the game, getting him ready for the playbook, just putting that weight on and getting him coming downhill and letting that fear go."
With the rookie additions that can step in immediately being paired with the offseason acquisition of Stephon Gilmore, Parsons sees a ceiling for the Dallas defense that will be even more difficult for opposing offenses to gameplan around.
"We can be so much better," he said. "We got teams that can't just run away from [Trevon Diggs] no more. We got that stability on the outside, that veteran leadership that's gonna help Kelvin [Joseph] and Nahshon [Wright] get going. We're very excited."

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/sky-is-the-limit-for-micah-cowboys-defense-in-23

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Would like to see the defense stay consistent and not have a big drop off like we saw later in the season last year. Our pass rush was second to none for the first half of the 2022 season, on pace to break the 85 Bears sack record, then disappeared. The first few games of the season, we never gave up more than 17 points, then began struggling to keep teams out of the endzone.

morasp

Reaction score
Would like to see the defense stay consistent and not have a big drop off like we saw later in the season last year. Our pass rush was second to none for the first half of the 2022 season, on pace to break the 85 Bears sack record, then disappeared. The first few games of the season, we never gave up more than 17 points, then began struggling to keep teams out of the endzone.
I'm trying to remember who was out at the end, pretty sure Hankins was but he said he could have come back.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm trying to remember who was out at the end, pretty sure Hankins was but he said he could have come back.
When Hankins went out we started to struggle against the run, but it doesn’t explain our pass rush disappearing because we had a dominant pass rush before Hankins arrived. Some of it probably had to do with Parsons starting to tire out and teams figuring out how to reduce his effectiveness. Our sack numbers began to dwindle the more he wore down. While our pass rush was fizzling out, Philly’s came on.

morasp

Reaction score
When Hankins went out we started to struggle against the run, but it doesn’t explain our pass rush disappearing because we had a dominant pass rush before Hankins arrived. Some of it probably had to do with Parsons starting to tire out and teams figuring out how to reduce his effectiveness. Our sack numbers began to dwindle the more he wore down. While our pass rush was fizzling out, Philly’s came on.
I remember that part. Some people thought it could have been adjustments to improve the run defense but I didn't look at it.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Watch baldinger‘s micah film, he shows how quickly and decisively Micah wins, but no one else get there , that has been a struggle later in the season, Lawrence is disappearing, and he is not so useful in the tackle positions. Mazi should help & sam will needs to improve this year and with addition of fehoko to spell some reps , DL will be fresher and keep attacking.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Glad someone posted this.

I expect them to be the best defense in the league. I’m sure a few other teams will be very good on defense as well, but this is the time for the Cowboys defense to cement it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Watch baldinger‘s micah film, he shows how quickly and decisively Micah wins, but no one else get there , that has been a struggle later in the season, Lawrence is disappearing, and he is not so useful in the tackle positions. Mazi should help & sam will needs to improve this year and with addition of fehoko to spell some reps , DL will be fresher and keep attacking.
Once Parsons began to get neutralized, that’s when the pass rush started to disappear. Smith rotating with Hankins should keep those guys fresh and free others up to the QB. Appears they may use Overshown as a pass rusher. We also added Fehoko on the edge. Hopefully Sam Williams will continue to develop. The more players we have that can create pressure the less double teams Parsons will have to deal with.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I remember that part. Some people thought it could have been adjustments to improve the run defense but I didn't look at it.
Once Parsons began to wear down and get neutralized, others weren’t getting to the QB. Sam Williams showed flashes, but disappeared at times. DLaw isn’t a sack master. Smith and Hankins should help. Rotating both will keep them fresh and help create some havoc up front. The more people they can tie up the more it will free others to the QB. The addition of Overshown should help because it sounds like they like his pass rushing skills. Him along with Sam Williams should take some of the focus off Parsons.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe DQ changed up the defense a bit to play the run more, and if effected the pass rush efficiency.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The offense has to limit 3 and outs, nothing deflates a defense faster. I rather see a long drive and a turnover than 3 and out.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I believe DQ changed up the defense a bit to play the run more, and if effected the pass rush efficiency.
If that’s the case it affected it a lot because I saw a stat on NFL Network where not only our sacks were way down but so were our pressures. We went from giving up no more than 17 points in a game to giving up a lot of points.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
We got better at all 3 levels of this D. Significantly better.

Speed and power all over the formation. Hybrid players that can match up well with running QBs and TEs.

Mazi and Hankins playing next to each other just might be the key to stopping the Eagles short yardage package.

I am pumped