Slippery Football Treatment

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the best place is to post this question, so I'll stick it here since everyone hangs out in this one. If the mods want to put it somewhere else, by all means do it.

But...

My brother just bought a new football and it happens to be very slippery and hard (thoughts of Romo's bobble come to mind with the K-ball).

When I played, the coaches always treated the footballs and I never knew how.

So does anyone know how to condition the ball so it's more "playable"? I've heard of baking it and stuff but I don't know how to do it exactly. I've always heard Aikman talk about it.

So does anyone know the proper procedure to this? Any help is much appreciated. I can't find it online anywhere.

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
Ive never heard of baking a football, thats what you to do baseball gloves. Google it.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I've heard of putting them in the dryer.

Best thing, though, is just to play catch with it until it breaks in. :)

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
TheKey;1878761 said:
Ive never heard of baking a football, thats what you to do baseball gloves. Google it.

Thanks, I did google it and nothing came up. I remember Aikman talking about baking the footballs, and that was his biggest complaint about playing away games.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Play catch. That's really the best way ever. Rubbing the ball and getting the leather hot will knock that sheen off and not do it in a fake bake manner. Kick it. Pass it. Let it hit the ground a bit. Not the asphalt or concrete though that will scuff the leather.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
I'm all in favor of playing with the balls, or rubbing the balls, in fact the more people involved in the process the better. I don't recomment baking the balls though.....that's just plain dangerous.

EndGame

Reaction score
I think I remember hearing they used to put it in the dryer with a wet towel. Don't take my word for it, though. I tend to have a faulty memory.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Rubbing a football roughly with a warm/hot, moist towel will take that sheen off. Then play catch with it for a while and it should be fine.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
You can use avmetal brush and scratch it up to give it a better texture. That's what they do to NFL balls, I wouldn't put it in the oven.

22185956.jpg

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Wet it down, wrap it in tin foil and Microwave it for 3 minutes. That'll take the shine off.

Don't actually do that :D

WarC

Reaction score
HowAboutThemCowboys;1879018 said:
I'm all in favor of playing with the balls, or rubbing the balls.

Me too, twice daily.