Small school sleepers to watch this season...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
As I mentioned in another thread, my personal definition of a "pet cat" is a player that I like a lot who plays for a small school... others call those players "sleepers"... whatever you call them, the Boys have developed a reputation over the years for ferretting out good players from small schools, going all the way back to when they were the first team to computerize their scouting process...

Given that, I always try to examine what talent there is in the small schools, and here's a list of small school prospects that I like... once again, the "grade" I give each will be preliminary, and based on the ratings at NFL Draft Scout...

Ladarius Green, TE, Louisiana-Lafayette... 6-6, 240 lbs., 4.6 second 40... ranked 60th by NFLDS, making him a late 2nd/early 3rd round prospect... a purely receiving TE who reminds me some of Jay Novacek... led the nation in receiving yardage by a TE last year, averaging an impressive 18 yards per catch along the way...

Renard Williams, DT, Eastern Washington-- 6-1, 300 lbs., 5.0 second 40... ranked 73rd by NFLDS, or a solid 3rd round prospect... smallish for a NT, but very active (32.5 tackles for loss the last 2 seasons, 16 sacks)...

Trumaine Johnson, CB/FS, Montana... 6-2, 206 lbs., 4.5 second 40... ranked 79th by NFLDS, or another solid 3rd round prospect... one of my favorite "sleepers", he's had 13 ints in his career... played CB for Montana, but his speed and size suggest he might make a better FS in the pros...

Ryan Steed, CB, Furman... 5-11, 190 lbs., 4.5 sec. 40... ranked 94th by NFLDS, a late 3rd/early 4th round type... has had 8 ints the last 2 years (10 for his career), and deflected 20 passes over the last 2 seasons... he returned 3 of those ints for TDs, and has also recovered a fumble in the end zone for a 4th TD... the kid just seems to make a lot of plays...

TY Hilton, WR/KR, Florida International... 5-10 186 lbs., 4.45 second 40... ranked 95th by NFLDS, or a late 3rd/early 4th round grade (but I suspect if Hilton plays as well this year as he did last year, he'll climb the charts by next April)... he's just a versatile, dangerous offensive weapon; last year he had 59 catches for 848 yards and 5 TDs, ran for 282 yards and 2 TDs, returned 29 kickoffs for 833 yards and 2 TDS, and returned 20 punts for 126 yards... his totals for the season were 2089 combined yards, and 9 TDs... for his career going into this season, Hilton has 156 catches for 2493 yards and 17 TDs... in his last 2 seasons, he's returned 51 kickoffs for 1476 yards (28.8 average) and 3 TDs... and as a freshman, he averaged almost 15 yards per punt return... he's a dangerous, dangerous weapon at a low level of competition...

Tom Compton, OT, South Dakota... 6-6, 316 lbs., 5.15 second 40... ranked 99th by NFLDS, or a late 3rd/early 4th rounder... plays for a potent offense in college...

Asa Jackson, CB. Cal Poly... 5-10,186 lbs., 4.35 second 40... ranked 126th by NFLDS, a likely 4th round prospect... great speed, and an effective punt returner in college...

BJ Coleman, QB, Tennessee-Chattanooga... 6-3, 225 lbs., 4.9 second 40... ranked 131st by NFLDS, or a late 4th/early 5th round type... a transfer from Tennessee, his completion percentage is only mediocre, a little over 56 per cent... he's a pure pocket passer with little mobility, but his TDs to ints ratio is quite good...

Chandler Harnish, QB, Northern Illinois... 6-2, 220 lbs., 4.75 second 40... ranked 141st by NFLDS, or a likely 5th rounder... is he a poor man's Romo?? Well, he has the same size, the same mobility in the pocket, and he played for Northern Illinois while Romo played for Eastern Illinois... same kind of background... last year, he completed nearly 65 per cent of his passes, threw 21 TDs against only 5 ints...

Kelcie McCray, S, Arkansas State... 6-2, 195 lbs., 4.45 second 40... ranked 191st by NFLDS, or a late 6th/early 7th round prospect...

Jeff Adams, OT, Columbia... 6-6, 310 lbs., 5.0 second 40... ranked 196th by NFLDS, another late 6th/early 7th rounder... he looks to me like he fits Garrett's profile for an offensive lineman, he's quite agile for his size... if he has the "nasty" to match his agility, he might make a good NFL lineman...

Scott Wedige, C, Northern Illinois... 6-4, 310 pounds, 5.25 second 40... not ranked in the top 250 by NFLDS (he comes in at 258), he's a possible late 7th round pick, more likely an undrafted rookie free agent... NIU averaged 265 yards rushing per game last year...

Tavoy Moore, WR/RB/KR, Idaho State... 5-6, 195 lbs., 4.35 second 40... ranked 297th by NFLDS... the quintessential waterbug, small but lightining quick... a dangerous kick returner, he scored on two kickoffs and two punts in 2010...

Lance Dunbar, RB, North Texas... 5-8, 206 lbs., 4.55 second 40... ranked 300th by NFLDS... to me, he looks a lot like Phillip Tanner, the hit of Cowboys' training camp this year... had 274 carries for 1553 yards last year, with 13 TDs... over the last 2 seasons, he's gained 2931 yards on just 474 carries (6.2 yards per carry), with 30 TDs rushing...

David Pickard, OT, Southern Illinois... 6-5, 310 lbs., 5.1 second 40... ranked 321st by NFLDS...

So, there's 15 small-college sleepers for your consideration... do any of you like one or more of the players listed here?? Do any of you have any other small school stars you think should be on this list??

Input... need input...