Smart's accused kidnapper ruled incompetent

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/07/26/smart.suspect/index.html

(CNN) -- The man accused of kidnapping teenager Elizabeth Smart from her home in Salt Lake City, Utah, three years ago has been found incompetent to stand trial.

In a decision handed down Tuesday, District Judge Judith Atherton ordered Brian David Mitchell confined for mental treatment until he reaches competency.

More details to come.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
A minor detail. He will get what is coming to him. Insanity pleas may work for women (Yates, the woman who ran her husband over), but it is a bit more just with men, I believe.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From what I have heard on the news this morning....he will go to a mental health facility for treatment UNTIL he is found competent to face the trial.

On a side note I also heard that the woman that was with him was found unable to face trial at this time as well for the same reasons but I think they said that awhile back.

It may be a rare thing, compared to the number of people who try to use the defense, but there are indeed people who are just crazy.

Like the father said of this guy getting mental health lockup....at least the guy is off the street and locked up even if it is in mental health facility right now.