SN:Undersized defenders who could overachieve in NFL

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/fee...rsized-defenders-who-could-overachieve-in-nfl

Dontay Moch, OLB, Nevada. Playing defensive end in a 4-3 scheme is not going to happen for Moch at 6-1 3/4 and 239 pounds. That makes him a much better fit at outside linebacker. He's a muscular, well-built defender who definitely looks the part of an NFL linebacker. Moch has the playing speed and explosive closing burst that gets teams excited. Because he doesn't consistently read and react to plays, Moch will have a much harder time making the switch to outside linebacker in a 4-3. He's best suited as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 similar to Pittsburgh's scheme.

Rashad Carmichael, CB, Virginia Tech. Carmichael (5-9 5/8, 185) has a thick, strong build with excellent arm length for the position. He's an strong overall athlete with very good speed and range. He has quick feet in his backpedal and shows a definite burst closing on plays in front of him in coverage. He's smart and disciplined as a man-to-man and zone defender. Reading quarterbacks and taking the right angle to the ball is also a plus. He reacts well to the ball, especially when it's in front of him, and returned two picks for touchdowns. Carmichael can get flat-footed and keep his eyes on the quarterback too long as a zone defender. He lacks explosive or smooth transition skills in coverage and tends to be more of a build-up speed guy who gets a little choppy when trying to change direction.

Da’Norris Searcy, S, North Carolina. While he definitely looks short on film, Searcy (5-10 5/8, 216) is well built with good-enough athleticism to make up for his height. He's an aggressive player who enjoys hitting and is often an intimidating force. When he stays over his feet and under control, Searcy can be an impact defender and an effective special-teams coverage man. He has quick feet. Combined with his agility, Searcy shows the ability to plant, drive and close quickly on passes in front of him, often blowing up the receiver right after the catch or making a play on the ball to break up pass.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/fee...rs-who-could-overachieve-in-nfl#ixzz1IK5flq4J

fishspill

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3895592 said:
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/fee...rsized-defenders-who-could-overachieve-in-nfl

Dontay Moch, OLB, Nevada. Playing defensive end in a 4-3 scheme is not going to happen for Moch at 6-1 3/4 and 239 pounds. That makes him a much better fit at outside linebacker. He's a muscular, well-built defender who definitely looks the part of an NFL linebacker. Moch has the playing speed and explosive closing burst that gets teams excited. Because he doesn't consistently read and react to plays, Moch will have a much harder time making the switch to outside linebacker in a 4-3. He's best suited as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 similar to Pittsburgh's scheme.

Rashad Carmichael, CB, Virginia Tech. Carmichael (5-9 5/8, 185) has a thick, strong build with excellent arm length for the position. He's an strong overall athlete with very good speed and range. He has quick feet in his backpedal and shows a definite burst closing on plays in front of him in coverage. He's smart and disciplined as a man-to-man and zone defender. Reading quarterbacks and taking the right angle to the ball is also a plus. He reacts well to the ball, especially when it's in front of him, and returned two picks for touchdowns. Carmichael can get flat-footed and keep his eyes on the quarterback too long as a zone defender. He lacks explosive or smooth transition skills in coverage and tends to be more of a build-up speed guy who gets a little choppy when trying to change direction.

Da’Norris Searcy, S, North Carolina. While he definitely looks short on film, Searcy (5-10 5/8, 216) is well built with good-enough athleticism to make up for his height. He's an aggressive player who enjoys hitting and is often an intimidating force. When he stays over his feet and under control, Searcy can be an impact defender and an effective special-teams coverage man. He has quick feet. Combined with his agility, Searcy shows the ability to plant, drive and close quickly on passes in front of him, often blowing up the receiver right after the catch or making a play on the ball to break up pass.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/fee...rs-who-could-overachieve-in-nfl#ixzz1IK5flq4J

The article after that has Marvin Austin saying all the right things. I'm not worried about this kid's problem too much, but from what I understand he's not a 3-4 lineman.

I know the Cowboys have looked at Searcy. The description of him sounds like a couple of fines and a suspension waiting to happen. Maybe he can control himself.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
fishspill;3895640 said:
The article after that has Marvin Austin saying all the right things. I'm not worried about this kid's problem too much, but from what I understand he's not a 3-4 lineman.

I know the Cowboys have looked at Searcy. The description of him sounds like a couple of fines and a suspension waiting to happen. Maybe he can control himself.

i dont really want him, kinda short, etc and has had the issues, which is a red warning flag, you cant ignore that when drafting