Snap Counts on defense are revealing

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you want to know who the coaches think are your best players and gives us the best chance to win- look at the snap counts after each game.

Let’s look at last night’s defensive snap counts and what they tell us about improving this D:
SNAP COUNT NUMBERS
  • Defensive line-
    • DeMarcus Lawrence- 43 snaps- (66% of all def plays)
    • Randy Gregory- 37 snaps (57%)
    • Osa Odighuizua- 36 snaps (55%)
    • Carlos Watkins- 30 snaps (46%)
    • Brent Urban- 28 snaps (43%)
    • Dorance Armstrong- 27 snaps (42%)
    • Terrell Basham- 24snaps (37%)
    • Quinton Bohannon- 20 snaps (31%)
    • Bradley Anae-10 snaps (15%)
  • Linebackers
    • Micah Parsons- 51 snaps (78%)
    • Keanu Neal- 50 snaps (77%)
    • Jaylon Smith- 16 snaps (25%)
    • LVE- 14 snaps (22%)
    • Jabril Cox- 1 snap (1%)
  • Secondary
    • Trevon Diggs- 65 snaps (100%)
    • Anthony Brown- 65 snaps (100%)
    • Donovan Wilson- 55 snaps (85%)
    • D Kazee -52 snaps (80%)
    • Jourdan Lewis - 49 snaps (75%)
    • Javon Kearse - 40 snaps (62%)
    • M Canady - 2 snaps (3%)
So….what does this tell us?
1. The Cowboys feel better about having Parsons and Neal on the field than LVE and Jaylon.
2. The DL rotations are certainly in flux.
3. For all the ps hype about Nashon Wright and Jabril Cox, they played a grand total of 1 snap between them. That may change as the year progresses.​

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Work in progress for sure… Getting Gallimore and Joseph on the field can only help.

Good to see Quinn not pandering to “seniority” or pay scale when it comes to LB snaps. Play the guys that give us the best chance to win.

I expected LVE to respond to Quinn’s style and be on the field more than he was last night. Parsons is a stud.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If you want to know who the coaches think are your best players and gives us the best chance to win- look at the snap counts after each game.

Let’s look at last night’s defensive snap counts and what they tell us about improving this D:
SNAP COUNT NUMBERS
  • Defensive line-
  • Linebackers
    • LVE- 14 snaps (22%)
  • Secondary
1. The Cowboys feel better about having Parsons and Neal on the field than LVE and Jaylon.
3. For all the ps hype about Nashon Wright and Jabril Cox, they played a grand total of 1 snap between them. That may change as the year progresses.​
For jaylon that should be down to single digits next week.

Armstrong did his typical disappearing act.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Work in progress for sure… Getting Gallimore and Joseph on the field can only help.

Good to see Quinn not pandering to “seniority” or pay scale when it comes to LB snaps. Play the guys that give us the best chance to win.

I expected LVE to respond to Quinn’s style and be on the field more than he was last night. Parsons is a stud.
Agreed. It amazes me that our 2016 second round LB and our 2018 first round LB played about 25% of last night’s game. If we want to know why our defense has to be rebuilt there’s a start.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Agreed. It amazes me that our 2016 second round LB and our 2018 first round LB played about 25% of last night’s game. If we want to know why our defense has to be rebuilt there’s a start.

Yah…. I think back to that game vs NO in 2018 where they were both sideline to sideline. We thought we had a beastly duo of LBs for the next 3-5 years!!

Man— they have flat out fallen off a cliff since then! Watching that clip of Jaylon getting beat by the blocking sled takes the cake lol

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score

This makes me wonder as the season progresses, will LVE be offered in a trade if another team has serious LB issues?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sad about LVE current status. Looked like the real deal as a rookie. Drafting a LB with neck issues is pure idiocy though. Typical of the wild catter.
Yeah that is sad. The wildcatter brags that he is able to take chances where other GMs can’t. A better way to put it is he is willing to take unnecessary chances because he wants to “prove” himself as a football guy. Whereas the real GM don’t take unnecessary risks because their job is in the line.
This makes me wonder as the season progresses, will LVE be offered in a trade if another team has serious LB issues?
Other teams watch snap counts too. What do you think a team would be willing to give for LVE? Answer maybe a 7th round pick. Maybe.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

SNAP COUNT NUMBERS
  • Defensive line-
  • Linebackers
    • LVE- 14 snaps (22%)
  • Secondary
No surprises based on watching preseason games.

LVE & Jaylon are in the run defense package generally vs 2 WRs.

DL is a rotation. Not in flux per se.

The snaps will vary based on opponent.
- Strong Run Offenses might see different snap distributions.

ESisback

Reaction score
Yah…. I think back to that game vs NO in 2018 where they were both sideline to sideline. We thought we had a beastly duo of LBs for the next 3-5 years!!

Man— they have flat out fallen off a cliff since then! Watching that clip of Jaylon getting beat by the blocking sled takes the cake lol

That video was hilarious, but also kinda sad.

Praxit

Reaction score

...every time I saw #11 back there, I knew we had chance for something. When I saw #9, was hoping Brady got something in his eye. ;)..

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Thx Bob. Snap counts for LVE and number 9 don't bode well for their future here. I bet Cox snaps steadily increase moving forward.
Increase from 1? Way to go out on a limb there. I kid, I kid.

dwmyers

Reaction score

Gonna be plain spoken here. If Jaylon and LVE are the base linebackers, and Parsons and Neal are the nickel linebackers, that's the expected result plus minus 5%.