Twitter: Snap counts vs cards

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

A terrible game. As always, the snap counts speak.
Heres what jumped out to me:
  • Cowboys had 81 snaps to 61 for Cards.
  • Rico Dowdle only had 11 snaps. He looked great in those 11. No knock on Pollard, but since he had 70 snaps, seems like RD should at least get 10-15 more snaps with that kind of production and put less mileage on TP.
  • Mazi Smith only had 12 snaps in a game where stopping the run was at a premium. I’m still preaching patience but…That’s a red flag.
  • LVE and Jayron Kearse played every defensive snap but did not have good days.
What jumped out to you?

Plankton

Reaction score
It's a little alarming as well that Hendershot got nearly twice as many snaps on offense than Schoonmaker got. That should not be happening.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a little alarming as well that Hendershot got nearly twice as many snaps on offense than Schoonmaker got. That should not be happening.
Plank, I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with you…but curious….why do you say having Hendershot with more snaps right now than Schoonmaker should not be happening? It’s still early and Schoonmaker missed most of TC. I would expect to see those numbers change as the season progresses.

Majic

Reaction score
The Rico Dowdle snap count is perplexing. Should be getting same amount of work as Pollard at this stage of the season

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Cooks with 65 snaps, 7 targets and only 2 receptions is not good. Hopefully, that changes now that he is healthy again.

Ken

Reaction score
0 snaps in the game for Deuce. Sorry, this is a joke. Pollard should not be averaging 25 touches a game this early in the season. He is going to wear down or break down at this rate. He should be getting 15-18 touches a game. Those other touches should be going to the other backs, Deuce included.

Deuce is a weapon that our offense can utilize, how he doesn't even get a snap on the field I will never understand.

Plankton

Reaction score
Plank, I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with you…but curious….why do you say having Hendershot with more snaps right now than Schoonmaker should not be happening? It’s still early and Schoonmaker missed most of TC. I would expect to see those numbers change as the season progresses.
Hendershot is a liability in in-line blocking, and he hasn't shown the greatest reliability in the passing game. Schoonmaker played four years in a pro style offense for a former NFL coach in college, and should not have that much of a ramp up in terms of knowledge. On his blocking alone (leaving out the passing game), he should be getting more time than Hendershot.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Offense: It's time to develop your 2nd round pick by playing him over a UDFA. Coaches have to make Schoon the TE2 definitively.

Defense: Time to look to develop on this side of the ball also. Damone needs LVE's snaps. Juanyeh Thomas needs to rotate with the other Ss.

Interesting Gallimore is getting greater snap share than Mazi.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
surprised armstrong and s.williams arent getting more snaps
Me as well. Sam Williams even in his few snaps yesterday should have been flagged for being offsides. I want to see him play more too but he’s got to get his head on straight it appears.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
Me as well. Sam Williams even in his few snaps yesterday should have been flagged for being offsides. I want to see him play more too but he’s got to get his head on straight it appears.
Hes got talent, lets hope he doesnr go full randy gregory

RS12

Reaction score
Sam Williams 10 snaps, 2nd round pick, trending in the wrong direction. I dont remember him doing a thing since his driving fiasco last fall. Mazi 12 snaps, 1st round pick brought in to upgrade the run defense, a run defense that never got off the bus yesterday, I think Quinn knows what he is doing so these snap counts are not a positive in my mind for these two high draft picks.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
The better player got the most snaps. Makes sense to me.

CWR

Reaction score

A terrible game. As always, the snap counts speak.
Heres what jumped out to me:
  • Cowboys had 81 snaps to 61 for Cards.
  • Rico Dowdle only had 11 snaps. He looked great in those 11. No knock on Pollard, but since he had 70 snaps, seems like RD should at least get 10-15 more snaps with that kind of production and put less mileage on TP.
  • Mazi Smith only had 12 snaps in a game where stopping the run was at a premium. I’m still preaching patience but…That’s a red flag.
  • LVE and Jayron Kearse played every defensive snap but did not have good days.
What jumped out to you?

Consider me a Rico fan now. He looked fantastic. By all means he needs more snaps/touches, if for nothing else but to keep Pollars fresh.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Mazi is dud, 12 snaps shows they know it. 4 weeks in and the kid hasn’t grown, im thinking we don’t see any development from him until next season

Creeper

Reaction score
In the first two games Thomas and Bell were making plays all over the field and in run support. Against the Cardinals Thomas had no snaps and Bell had only 9. I didn;t see Donovan Wilson making any plays but I admit I may have missed him. Thomas seems to have a nose for the ball. Maybe ne needs to be in their more.

I think Sam Williams would have played more if the Cowboys were not getting gashed on the outside runs. I mentioned in another post that 207 of the Cardinals 222 rushing yards were outside the tackles. Fowler and Sam Williams both have a tendency to get suck inside and out of position. Maybe that is why they didn't see as many snaps this week. Armstrong is probably a bit better in run defense. So is Lawrence.

Something tells me they can use Luepke more as a runner and pass catcher. He made a couple of plays yesterday, but I think the perception is he is a straight ahead runner. I think he has a move or two in him and he might be the guy to use around the goal line and for short yardage situations. In goal to go situation getting him outside might be worth a try too. He is big enough to bull his way through smaller DBs.

Hendershot plays a lot of downs but what does he contribute? Is his blocking that great? A guy with his size should be a weapon in the red zone but I think he was targeted once yesterday for 3 yards. Of course after that drop in the end zone previously, they could have lost confidence in him.

I know this, this Gonzalez kid playing CB for New England is the real deal. He play man against the opponents best receiver and he shuts them all down. My guess is he will cover Lamb so the Cowboys need to spring some of their other receivers and Dak needs to be prepared to spread the ball around.