So far so good

Scotman

Reaction score
Actually, I think when it's all said and done, I'm going to be very happy with this FA period.

I had no clue who Kaiser was, but thanks to Champsheart and Theebs, I have at least some idea at this point. Linemen take years to develop. We see it again and again and again. And yet, many would have already cut Peterson, Gurode, AJ and Pettiti. Kosier is solid and YOUNG! We might just be building a line that'll be here for a few years and help us remain competitive for the long haul.

If the plan this year is to get 4 and 5 year guys who are solid, even if unspectacular, who are smart and healthy, I'll take it. You never know, Kaiser might still be improving.

So, if we stuck to picking up guys who fit that mold and still fit our needs, who's out there?

Manster68

Reaction score
FREE AGENCY is supposed to be used for filling holes using role players that will not break the bank.

The DRAFT is supposed to be used for finding the team's superstars.

------------------------------------------------

So getting Kaiser was a good signing. Ayodele will be also if Dallas can get him signed.

Adam Vinatieri might be an exception to this rule - but NOT Terrell Owens.

lspain1

Reaction score
Manster68 said:
FREE AGENCY is supposed to be used for filling holes using role players that will not break the bank.

The DRAFT is supposed to be used for finding the team's superstars.

------------------------------------------------

So getting Kaiser was a good signing. Ayodele will be also if Dallas can get him signed.

Adam Vinatieri might be an exception to this rule - but NOT Terrell Owens.

Interesting point. I think I'll add the following:

FREE AGENCY is supposed to be used for filling holes that can get you to a super bowl. (I'll let the reader decide if that includes TO or not):)

miamicowboy21

Reaction score
We need vinateri though, jerry needs to get on the case and sign this guy. Options are dwindling quickly.

Scotman

Reaction score
I'd rather not see us pick up someone like TO. He doesn't fit the FA mold I'm hoping to see at all. He's well over 30 and is not a long term answer. He's going to want a chunk of change. He's been largely undependable as a teammate. No doubt he is supremely talented. But I'm hoping Teague will take him completely out before Tuesday.

My point was that I think the way we improve over the long-term is to pick up guys who have the some upside and the bulk of their careers in front of them, not behind them.

The Commanders have been picking up these "quick hit" type players for a long time. They are constantly rebuilding. It has nothing to do with how they manage their cap to me. It has to do with the fact that for all the splashes they have made over the last 10 years picking up big named free agents, what has it bought?

Give me guys like the one we just signed over guys like TO and virtually every 32 year old out there.

Edited to add this, my philosophy doesn't apply to kickers, though. They don't really play a contact sport like the rest of the team. Get me someone well established.