So for all of you Chicken Littles...

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
that said that we were not active enough on the first week of FA, it now looks like this:

• RT-Fabini
  • WR-TO
  • LG-Koiser
  • ILB-Akin
  • TE-Hannam

Thats 4 new starters. I think we are doing well. I hope we can draft either Huff or Carpenter in the first to round out our D and our O-looks pretty set.

:bow: Jerry, thanks for not being like Dan Snyder.

My projected lineup for us on opening day is:

QB-Bledsoe
RB-Jones
WR-TO
WR-Glenn
WR-Crayton
LT-Flo
LG-Koiser
C-Gurode
RG-Rivera
RT-Fabini
TE-Witten

DL-Ellis
DL-Spears
DL-Ferg
LB-Ware
LB-James
LB-Akin
LB-Carpenter
SS-Roy
FS-Davis
CB-Newman
CB-Henry

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I said all along that I realized our off-season could "change in the blink of an eye." Well, the Cowboys' eye blinked (is that even a word, lol?) today.

The good news is, our off-season still is far from over. It doesn't even really seem like we've used all that much money, depending upon how much we end up paying TO. Still a lot of wiggle room to make some more moves.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
You can't bench Canty! They also claim Johnson is getting bigger, so don't count your chickens.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
TheKey said:
that said that we were not active enough on the first week of FA, it now looks like this:

• RT-Fabini
  • WR-TO
  • LG-Koiser
  • ILB-Akin
  • TE-Hannam

Thats 4 new starters. I think we are doing well. I hope we can draft either Huff or Carpenter in the first to round out our D and our O-looks pretty set.

QB-Bledsoe
RB-Jones
WR-TO
WR-Glenn
WR-Crayton
LT-Flo
LG-Koiser
C-Gurode
RG-Rivera
RT-Fabini
TE-Witten

DL-Ellis
DL-Spears
DL-Ferg
LB-Ware
LB-James
LB-Akin
LB-Carpenter
SS-Roy
FS-Davis
CB-Newman
CB-Henry
That looks about right except that there is a good chance that Canty could start instead of Ellis...or maybe not. Also I doubt that Davis will start at FS; we will either sign Coleman or draft a FS...maybe both.

We still could get Key back even if we sign Owens. It would be less likely than if (by the grace of God) we don't get Owens but it never hurts to have a big strong WR who can move the sticks. I'm still pulling for Crayton but he could be fighting for a job is we draft a WR early. He needs to get back to the form he was in before getting injured last year.

As for Carpenter; that is as good a name to throw in there as any. I do believe that we will draft our SOLB this year be it Carpenter or someone else.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
TheKey said:

QB-Bledsoe
RB-Jones
WR-TO
WR-Glenn
WR-Crayton
LT-Flo
LG-Koiser
C-Gurode
RG-Rivera
RT-Fabini
TE-Witten

DL-Ellis
DL-Spears
DL-Ferg
LB-Ware
LB-James
LB-Akin
LB-Carpenter
SS-Roy
FS-Davis
CB-Newman
CB-Henry

If Davis is still starting at FS my head might explode.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
I would LOVE if we traded up a little and drafted Michael Huff to start at FS. If not, then signing Marcus Coleman would be a good alternate.

31hammer

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
I would LOVE if we traded up a little and drafted Michael Huff to start at FS. If not, then signing Marcus Coleman would be a good alternate.

Isecond that HUFF is who we need

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
TheKey said:
  • RT-Fabini
  • WR-TO
  • LG-Koiser
  • ILB-Akin
  • TE-Hannam

Very Nice!

:bow:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The sky is falling!!!!!!!

Sign somebody!!!!!!!!!!!

What is JJ doing?????????

The offseason is a complete failure!!!!!!!!

What?

Oh, nevermind. :D

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Dale said:
I said all along that I realized our off-season could "change in the blink of an eye." Well, the Cowboys' eye blinked (is that even a word, lol?) today.

The good news is, our off-season still is far from over. It doesn't even really seem like we've used all that much money, depending upon how much we end up paying TO. Still a lot of wiggle room to make some more moves.

Remember that cutting Key saved us another 1.5 mil, waiving Larry Allen would save even more (as would renegotiating his deal)...

Yup, there's still lots of room to upgrade-- even if they throw silly money at TO...

From what I've been able to discern about the contracts for the 5 players signed to date (Fabini, Hannam, Ayodele, Kosier, Gurode), their first year cap hit combined will only total something around 7 million dollars, maybe a little less... the Boys started with 22.5 mil in cap room, picked up another 1.5 by cutting Keyshawn... that would leave them with something in the area of 17 million in cap room remaining, and that's before doing anything with LA...

Figuring that TO's deal probably won't cost more than 5-6 mil in the first year, factoring in 3-3.5 million to sign our draft picks and fund a practice squad, and setting aside 5-6 million to sign important young vets like Jason Witten to contract extensions (I think it's important for the long term to earmark money for that purpose), and you've still got 2-4 million to invest in free agents... again, resolving the Larry Allen situation would likely give us another 3 mil or so to play around with (I'm not real sure about how much they could free up by renegotiation, or by waiving him, so I'm guessing here)... that would leave the Boys with 5-7 million for free agent signings... if they shop as shrewdly as they have early one, where they got 5 free agents for 7 million, they could sign 3-5 more free agents, easy...

I'm sure AdamJT13 could give us a more definitive take on that, he's a lot better a this stuff than I am... mine is just a "seat of the pants" guesstimate...

HardHittin'Witten

This ain't Madden
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:

I'd lose my damned mind if we got Huff. Not going to happen though.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Wow....

Speechless....

Although, I'm still not sold on Owens. I probably won't be until we're eight weeks into the season and he's still a good little boy.

He is an upgrade in talent.....no question.

I think we've made some solid signings so far. But let's not get too giddy.

Kosier is a journeyman, not a dominating force. He is merely average. Same with Fabini (although, he is an improvement at RT).

Ayodele has never been a "force" either...and it remains to be seen if he can grasp MLB in the 3-4.

I don't want to be a wet blanket. I'm excited that we've finally jumped in the pool instead of dipped our toes. But these players aren't going to be major upgrades.

Adams
Kosier
Gurode (Johnson)
Rivera
Fabini

Solid group....old....hopefully, we'll still draft an OL high.