So I roll out of bed today, and I realize...

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
The only athletic events currently being held are MLB, the World Cup, the College World Series, and the WNBA (okay, so maybe that one doesnt count as an athletic event).

This time of year really, really sucks...... :(

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Baseball and soccer.....

Someone strap me down, I can't handle it.....

The excitement is too much.....

Really.....

jimmy40

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
The only athletic events currently being held are MLB, the World Cup, the College World Series, and the WNBA (okay, so maybe that one doesnt count as an athletic event).

I never thought the WNBA would make it past the second year.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
I never thought the WNBA would make it past the second year.

I didnt know it had until I turned on ESPN2 last Thursday...

As you can imagine, I was throughly shocked, and yet somehow, couldnt care less

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:

The worst sports day of every year is the day after the MLB All Star game.

No baseball.

No football.

No basketball.

No hockey.

No golf.

No car racing.

No tennis.

I hate that day with a purple passion.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HeavyHitta31 said:

Agreed there HH. Until camp begins, it's just the worst of times.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I love football, both American and World.

There's a reason why the latter is the most popular sport in the rest of the world.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
SultanOfSix said:
I love football, both American and World.

There's a reason why the latter is the most popular sport in the rest of the world.

Because they don't have helmets yet? ;)

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
So you guys here have to provide us with plenty of entertainment to keep us going until Training camp... MLB is going to drive me insane.....

like a dog

Panamanian Cowboy
Reaction score
The World Cup is the single greatest event in World Sport. Literally billions more people care about it then football. America is by far the most provincial of the Western industrial elite. The attitude expressed towards sport in this thread is wonderful evidence of this.

I am sorry, but if you cannot appreciate the brilliance of Maxi Rodriguez's goal against Mexico yesterday evening, then you do not appreciate the brilliance of a superior athlete in general.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
like a dog said:
I am sorry, but if you cannot appreciate the brilliance of Maxi Rodriguez's goal against Mexico yesterday evening, then you do not appreciate the brilliance of a superior athlete in general.
I'm sure it was fantastic...Sort of how I feel with a pass from Drew Bledsoe to TO with 1:32 seconds left on the clock and we're down by 6, and Bledsoe hits TO on a mid slant, TO fakes out 3 guys, get's down to the 10.. We call our last time out. We have 4 shots at the end zone. 1st play is a Parcells favorite - a draw play to catch their defense off guard, it takes us to the 5 yard line, we go hurry up with 56 seconds left..

Bledsoe holds on to the ball too long and almost gets sacked, but manages to throw the ball away out of the back of the endzone towards TO. 3rd and goal with 45 seconds on the clock, and Bledsoe does a quick hitch play to TO and he scrambles and manages to get to the 3 only picking up a yard or so. 30 seconds left and 4th and goal. Bledsoe drops back looks at TO on a fade route, and then turns the other way and sees Glenn and Witten double teamed, while Crayton has a linebacker right in front of him, so Bledsoe boldly tucks the ball in sprints to the right, breaks one tackle and lunges his body towards the endzone while being hit by 2 defenders and manages to stretch and make the ball cross the pilon... TOUCHDOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWWWW, nothing like it. That's just game 1.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
The World Cup is the single greatest event in World Sport.

Bully for you.

Literally billions more people care about it then football.

They also cared about the Macarena. That makes them superior to me?

America is by far the most provincial of the Western industrial elite.

Here we go with the insults. "You better love my beautiful game or I will accuse you of being arrogant and insular!"

We don't shove baseball and American football down the world's throat; don't you dare shove soccer down ours.

The attitude expressed towards sport in this thread is wonderful evidence of this.

Long story short: the "celebrate diversity" folk want America to become athletically homogenous with the rest of the world. To them, the tepid American response to the World Cup is evidence of our bigotry, our xenophobic failure to "get" with the global program.

Hey dummy: you wanna know why the world watches soccer? Because most of the world is 1) poor, and soccer is 2) affordable. You need a ball and that's about it. Americans didn't need to import soccer or rugby because we were wealthy and could cultivate our own variant. BTW, soccer ain't popular in Canada or Australia either, but I don't see you lobbing insults at them. Get lost.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
bbgun said:
Americans didn't need to import soccer or rugby because we were wealthy and could cultivate our own variant.

This speaks of arrogance. I am no soccer fan, but your response is rupulsive.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
like a dog said:
The World Cup is the single greatest event in World Sport. Literally billions more people care about it then football. America is by far the most provincial of the Western industrial elite. The attitude expressed towards sport in this thread is wonderful evidence of this.

I thought that Joe Cole's goal for England in the Pool Play round couldn't be topped... I was wrong. That goal by Rodriguez was probably the single best play I've ever seen in a soccer game. I am a marginal soccer fan, I really only watch during the World Cup, but I usually watch as much as I can when it's going on, even if I have no particular interest in whatever countries are playing.

That being said, the thing that bugs me about soccer, and why I can't really get into it long term or watch it all the time, is what happens in between the goals. Yesterday's Mexico-Argentina game was 1-1 after the first 10-15 minutes. A great start. I was pumped, thinking this game was going to be back and forth, maybe a bunch of goals scored. But what happened?? It was basically scoreless for 90 minutes after those initial goals. By the time Rodriguez' goal came, I was basically numb to what was going on. There's no other sport IMO where the downtime will put you to sleep so quickly. As a result I didn't see the goal in real time, I had to watch replays (which there were obviously a lot of). That's frustrating.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
Hostile said:
The worst sports day of every year is the day after the MLB All Star game.

No baseball.

No football.

No basketball.

No hockey.

No golf.

No car racing.

No tennis.

I hate that day with a purple passion.

Ah ... but there's always minor league baseball!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
like a dog said:

"Superior athlete"? Superior, how? Superior to other soccer athletes? Or superior to N-F-L athletes?

No one should dispute that Rodriguez could run rings around Flozell Adams. Or that he could kick a round ball more accurately downfield than Roy Williams. But is he truly a superior athlete?

I doubt it. He's a great athlete. Most pro athletes, in most sports, are great athletes; but there are very, very few who manage to transcind the athletic community.

Is Rodriguez the 'Michael Jordan' of soccer? Or the 'Jerry Rice' of soccer? Is he even the 'Pele' of soccer? I don't know. You tell me.

Soccer is the world's most popular sport and it should be. It involves a bunch boys, girls, men or women running around kicking or head-butting a kickball around a field and into a very large net. The poorest country's kids in the world can afford to play such a sport and the popularity of the masses would naturally follow. Add the fact that both sexes are, quite literally, equal in ability and that would appeal to even more. The underpinning of suspense during each game itself is addicting. Everyone is waiting for someone to score 1 point per game.

GOOOOOOOOOAL!

Everyone's psyched out already waiting for one freaking point to be scored, thus each game itself is an emotional timebomb from the start. If someone DOESN'T score, people would go nuts and riot!

Wait a sec. They do that anyway...

Anyhoo, congrats to soccer, but c'mon. "Superior athletes'? Please. I respect Lance Armstrong over most soccer players. :rolleyes:

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx said:
This speaks of arrogance. I am no soccer fan, but your response is rupulsive.

No, demanding an entire nation to embrace your sport is the epitome of arrogance.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
I thought that Joe Cole's goal for England in the Pool Play round couldn't be topped... I was wrong. That goal by Rodriguez was probably the single best play I've ever seen in a soccer game.

that's some high praise. a great goal but I was also pretty impressed by Beckham's score today -- but folks expect that from him.