So if AFC West winner is in @ 8-8 and Dallas is OUT @ 10-6....

newlander

Reaction score
That's just ridiculous on so many levels. I don't believe in conspiracy theories at all BTW. They want us in because we get the BESt TV ratings: so why not just go to an NBA or NHL format where everybody and their brother makes the playoffs? Dallas is a legit threat to go all the way....Denver or S.Diego are crap basically. Why is the NFL (no fun league) so stubborn?:banghead:

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
I personally don't want alot of teams in the playoffs. I like it how it is. Let's not water it down.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
We are 9-5 right now. And there is still a possibility we get in at 10-6. Slim but there is.

newlander

Reaction score
Yeah dhragon, but what about the fact that the NFC is pretty solid: especially the East, and the AFC WEST.....well, I don't think an 8-8 team should go at all personally..............even if they do win the division....that's just BS. IF they can't finish over .500 they suck IMO.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
newlander;2500322 said:
That's just ridiculous on so many levels. I don't believe in conspiracy theories at all BTW. They want us in because we get the BESt TV ratings: so why not just go to an NBA or NHL format where everybody and their brother makes the playoffs? Dallas is a legit threat to go all the way....Denver or S.Diego are crap basically. Why is the NFL (no fun league) so stubborn?:banghead:

NFL surpassed these other sports leagues for a reason.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
ajk23az;2500338 said:
We are 9-5 right now. And there is still a possibility we get in at 10-6. Slim but there is.

Actually we can get in at 9-7.

RoadRunner

Reaction score
Just have to play the hand you are dealt. All the teams know the rules before the season starts. Its all about winning your division first.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
jobberone;2500353 said:
Actually we can get in at 9-7.

Yeah but the chances of that are :lmao2: able

We'd need Tampa, Atlanta to lose out and Philly to lose vs. Washington right?

joseephuss

Reaction score
newlander;2500322 said:

If the NFL went to the NBA playoff format, then it still would not effect what happens between Dallas and Denver. Those two teams are in different conferences.

willia451

Reaction score
The only way to make it completely fair, is do away with divisions and conferences as far as who goes to the post season and who does not. You can still keep the organization the way it is. If you'd like. But it won't mean much, as far as the post season is concerned. In effect, you'd just have one big league of 32 teams. Top 12 go. If all 12 come from the AFC or all 12 come from the NFC on a given year, so be it.

Make who plays who during the regular season as fair as possible, with many many more cross conference games than we have today. Tie breakers that make sense.

Anyone want to go there? Not me.

Go Cowboys!!!

joseephuss

Reaction score
willia451;2500367 said:
The only way to make it completely fair, is do away with divisions and conferences as far as who goes to the post season and who does not. You can still keep the organization the way it is. If you'd like. But it won't mean much, as far as the post season is concerned. In effect, you'd just have one big league of 32 teams. Top 12 go. If all 12 come from the AFC or all 12 come from the NFC on a given year, so be it.

Make who plays who during the regular season as fair as possible, with many many more cross conference games than we have today. Tie breakers that make sense.

Anyone want to go there? Not me.

Go Cowboys!!!

I agree I would not like to see the NFL go that route. It would be extremely difficult to provide schedules that are equal strength. More importantly it would do away with the rivalries that have developed over time and everyone loves those rivalries.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
I think the NFL has the 2nd best playoff format behind the MLB. you should be rewarded foe winning your division no matter how bad it is. the NHL/NBA playoff format is terrible.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Those who weren't complaining about this at the end of the 1999 season probably should shut up so as not to look like total homers.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Dhragon;2500331 said:
I personally don't want alot of teams in the playoffs. I like it how it is. Let's not water it down.

I agree there are plenty of teams in the playoffs and the format is perfect the way it is.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Rampage;2500379 said:
I think the NFL has the 2nd best playoff format behind the MLB. you should be rewarded foe winning your division no matter how bad it is. the NHL/NBA playoff format is terrible.

The MLB format is horrible. The reason why to me is that because having the best record does not mean what it should.

The team with the best record does not necessarily face the team with the worst record in the first round if that team also happens to be in their same division. That is silly to me.

What is even sillier is that home field in the World Series is determined by who wins the All Star game. That is just idiotic to determine home field based on an exhibition game.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Doomsday;2500403 said:
I agree there are plenty of teams in the playoffs and the format is perfect the way it is.

When you can see a wildcard team have a legitimate chance to win the SB then you have a good system. This year among TB, Dallas, Philly, or Atl, I'd say that all have a decent chance to go deep in the playoffs -- I'd even say most of them are a good bet to advance past the wild card round. That's a good system.

The NBA is a good comparison. Does a low seed every stand a realistic chance to win the title? Not really.

Better to keep a good team out than to advance a bunch of tomato cans

Don Corleone

Reaction score
jobberone;2500360 said:
Unlikely but not laughable. I think we will need to win out to get in though.

It would require the likes of Oakland getting up to play and beating teams that are fighting for the playoffs...

not gonna happen.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
joseephuss;2500420 said:
The MLB format is horrible. The reason why to me is that because having the best record does not mean what it should.

The team with the best record does not necessarily face the team with the worst record in the first round if that team also happens to be in their same division. That is silly to me.

What is even sillier is that home field in the World Series is determined by who wins the All Star game. That is just idiotic to determine home field based on an exhibition game.
I love it. it's the only all-star game where it actually means something. and only 8 teams get in.