So if the Jets and Fitzpatrick never come to terms...

robjay04

Reaction score
First of all, it is the slowest time of the NFL offseason, I am sure this has been discussed but there are minor new developments so maybe it should be revisited.

The Jets and Fitzpatrick still can't agree to terms, I believe they will eventually but if they never do reach an agreement, starting jobs around the league have dried up. After how successful he was last season, I never thought Fitzpatrick would sign somewhere to be a backup but he may not have a choice. He could very well choose to sign with a team with a more uncertain QB situation but regardless, he will likely be looking for a one year guaranteed deal probably pretty close to 10M.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is a starting caliber QB. If Romo was to ever go down, he would step in and function well within this offense while keeping our receivers happy. Our cap room is still a little shaky now but we still have a couple triggers we can push to create enough room.

If you really want to win in the Romo era, this may need to be a consideration if the Jets and Fitz never come to terms.

Just bored here waiting for training camp!

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Fitz will sign, and even if he didn't......other teams would offer more than us.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
The problem is, he wants more than the Jets are willing to pay him, but it's still way more than we would offer. I'm not sure what number he's hoping to get, but he wants to get paid like a starter, which is likely around $8 or $9 million. Not sure where the Jets are, but I can't see us wanting to pay a back-up QB more than $3 to $4 million, if that.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
If I were him, I would be demanding a Ryan Tannehill type contract. :muttley:

robjay04

Reaction score
The problem is, he wants more than the Jets are willing to pay him, but it's still way more than we would offer. I'm not sure what number he's hoping to get, but he wants to get paid like a starter, which is likely around $8 or $9 million. Not sure where the Jets are, but I can't see us wanting to pay a back-up QB more than $3 to $4 million, if that.

I don't expect it to happen either nor do I expect to see us pay BUT....he is a player good enough to pay on a short term deal and fits a "win now" approach.

He has kind of screwed himself by waiting on the Jets, no team besides the Jets at this point can hand him a starting spot. If bridges do get burned there, he is going to have to accept a backup job for a year and cut his demands.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I don't expect it to happen either nor do I expect to see us pay BUT....he is a player good enough to pay on a short term deal and fits a "win now" approach.

He has kind of screwed himself by waiting on the Jets, no team besides the Jets at this point can hand him a starting spot. If bridges do get burned there, he is going to have to accept a backup job for a year and cut his demands.

To be honest, I don't see why the Jets and Broncos weren't interested in Kirk Cousins. I know it costs two #1s, but at the end of the day, Denver gave up their #1 and #3 for Paxton Lynch, may as well of at least sniffed around Cousins and the Jets drafted Darron Lee and added a piece to a defense that already carried the team.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't see why the Jets and Broncos weren't interested in Kirk Cousins. I know it costs two #1s, but at the end of the day, Denver gave up their #1 and #3 for Paxton Lynch, may as well of at least sniffed around Cousins and the Jets drafted Darron Lee and added a piece to a defense that already carried the team.

Two 1's for Cousins? What is this world coming to?

robjay04

Reaction score

Well if they really wanted him, they would have to sign him to an insane contract that Cousins agreed to and the Skins could still match.

Lynch for a 1st and 3rd on an affordable, rookie contract with a fifth year option > Kirk Cousins and two firsts with a 100M+ Contract loaded with guarantees.

I don't know why the Broncos didn't push hard for Fitzpatrick though, he must've shut other teams out while working on the deal with the Jets. Fitzpatrick would be an upgrade over what the Broncos got last year from their QB position.

robjay04

Reaction score
If you're the Broncos, the one of those picks is #31. What are the odds that they miss the playoffs next year? So at best I'm think #21, I'd do that as opposed to Paxton Lynch.

But you would give up that pick, next years pick and a contract valued at over 100M with probably 40% guaranteed? All of this for a player with only a half a season of good play under his belt. Broncos couldn't afford it anyways but I do think it's less risk going with Lynch considering the Broncos don't even need pro bowl caliber QB play to win a championship.

robjay04

Reaction score
Don't see Dallas paying a backup qb 12 million a year.

Me neither but no other team will. He will have to accept a paycut if the Jets deal falls through, nobody else is going to hand him a starting job.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Don't forget the salary that Cousins costs, even for just one year. Neither Denver nor the Jets could handle taking on that $19 million.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score

Living in DC unfortunately I watch the Skins a lot bf Cowboy games. Cousins is "just" above JAG similar to Fitzpatrick and even the Skins kind of know it; don't let the tag number be correlated with his actual talent. I think they slapped the tag on him to avoid the problem for a year (always need a QB) and to allow him to prove his worth after a non playoff year; they barely made it to the postseason in a terrible division, etc. They may do it again (tag him) and trade him next year for something even less than a 1 or sign him to a smaller contract if he proves to be more of a talented bus driver than a blue chipper worthy of a big QB contract.

Last edited:

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Fitz is the epidomy of choke job..it never fails when it matters most he'll fold like a lawn chair. I would rather fail with a backup qb and get a high draft pick than go 7-9 with Fitz and heart break final stretch of the the season.

Jenky

Reaction score

Because Cousins is a little bit of an unknown. It would cost them 2 1st round picks and then his salary. The Commanders are actually doing the right thing by making Cousins prove his worth.

Outside of Commanders' fans, you wont hear anyone else call him a franchise QB.

Last edited:

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I wouldn't even consider talking to the Commanders about Cousins for 2 #1 picks. That's seriously one of the dumbest ideas ever.