So so far so good in regards to draft picks

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Browns 0-2 w/ big road stretch coming up

Lions 0-2

Panthers 2-0 w/o their best player, and looking like a first round bye caliber team

Maybe I should be more focused on the actual season, but the recent drafting/trading could keep us good for years and Im excited.

Boysboy

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;2257782 said:
Browns 0-2 w/ big road stretch coming up

Lions 0-2

Panthers 2-0 w/o their best player, and looking like a first round bye caliber team

Maybe I should be more focused on the actual season, but the recent drafting/trading could keep us good for years and Im excited.

I never once imagined Carolina would start 2-0, ESPECIALLY with SD/Chicago on their plates AND Steve Smith was sent home for these 2 weeks. Now they're entering the easiest part of the schedule, pretty much.

Yes-with Thomas/Runyan likely to retire after this season, assuming Carolina keeps on winning, it could very well be hard for Philly to find an OT late in the 1st round.

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2257791 said:
what the flip are you talking about?
I think it's his solution to fix the conflict in the Middle East.

I could be wrong, though.

Boysboy

Reaction score

We have the '09 Lions 3rd rounder due to a trade in this year's draft. Forgot how we got another Cleveland draft pick.

And then, like I said above, Philly has Carolina's 1st rounder for next year, b/c of the Jeff Otah trade in this year's draft.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Cleveland and Detroit both owe us draft picks in 0-9 and are off to bad starts.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Yes-with Thomas/Runyan likely to retire after this season, assuming Carolina keeps on winning, it could very well be hard for Philly to find an OT late in the 1st round.

This is looking like a good tackle draft, but they would probably have to package 2 picks for a shot at Oher, or Monroe. Future pro bowlers

Seems like every time a team trades up in a draft and comes away w/ 2 1st rounders they are really good the next year.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Forgot how we got another Cleveland draft pick.

We got it w/ all that trading down we did.

And we still ended up getting Choice, Scandrick and Pac(w/ a 4th)

Sometimes its too easy

Boysboy

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;2257804 said:
This is looking like a good tackle draft, but they would probably have to package 2 picks for a shot at Oher, or Monroe. Future pro bowlers

Seems like every time a team trades up in a draft and comes away w/ 2 1st rounders they are really good the next year.

I'm not a fan of teams doing this, but the Panthers desperately needed OL help. If anything, Jeff Otah was that FINAL missing piece(otherwise, Delhomme would have been IR'd again).

With that being said-the Cats are back to playing old school Jon Fox style of football.

Boysboy

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;2257808 said:
We got it w/ all that trading down we did.

And we still ended up getting Choice, Scandrick and Pac(w/ a 4th)

Sometimes its too easy

Wow-the Browns must be the new Commanders. This year, they didn't have a pick in the first 3 rounds. But wow, they still lack '09 picks?? And now they're 0-2, going into the most difficult part of their schedule.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Wow-the Browns must be the new Commanders. This year, they didn't have a pick in the first 3 rounds. But wow, they still lack '09 picks?? And now they're 0-2, going into the most difficult part of their schedule
Its a 4th rounder....

Might not seem like much right now, but every year when watching the draft I look up and see like 5 guys I want in the mid rounds that are still available. Theres always a ton of talent there.

We have like a dozen picks so well probably trade up at some point, and also trade down later on and stock pile picks for future drafts

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Ahhhh....I hadn't even really thought about these things. Excellent. Keep up the terrible work then Cleveland and Detriot. :)

FCBarca

Reaction score
Not sure, IMHO.

I see our recent drafts and I don't see the gurus in the front office really make some great decisons with the first few round let alone unearthing talent that others overlook.

2008 Draft:

Felix Jones - Not a real shocker here as everyone in the country knew Jerry was going fellow Razorback...Hard to look at this as unearthing anything...We hear a lot about how the Mendenhall pick will be compared but you might as well include Chris Johnson in there too, especially considering his versatility.

Mike Jenkins
- Can look at this two ways, he got overlooked by 3 other teams who went DB but not Jenkins in the 1st round...This despite being hyped for some time as among the best in the draft...I dare say even Cason who went a couple of picks later has looked better...Still, can't be considered a reach with this pick, more like following the generic board with the pick in terms of highest rated (From the consensus) DB left.

Martellus Bennett - High & Tight may end up being a pretty decent TE but for the life of me I can't understand the logic in the pick after dealing Fasano for a 4th (Another 2nd rounder from before)...Particularly considering Jerry considered trading up into the early 2nd round to go after a WR (WRs that all have made impacts already in Hardy, Royal and Jackson)...All the more interesting from a scouting perspective since it seemed that many were enamoured with Royal's stock after the combine...Apparently, everyone except the Cowboys.

Tashard Choice - Great value pick in the 4th round but still begs the question why go RB when that area doesn't seem to be a great area of need...Curious why a guy so talented lasted that long to begin with but as we've already begun to learn, this has been a helluva RB draft class...Still, not sure this is a diamond in the rough kind of pick...Feels like it was simply 'the best player available' paradigm at work here.

2007 Draft

Anthony Spencer - Had some great hype going into the draft but a little bit of a surprise pick in the 1st round for Dallas.

James Marten - So good with a 3rd pick that he's already a member of the worst run organization in sports, the Raiders. :banghead:

Stanback & Free - The 4th round picks...Gambles on both, jury still out on Stanback.

2006 Draft

Bobby Carpenter - Closer to living up to the Barbie moniker than he is as a LB in the NFL...Getting my fill of some NFL action yesterday, I was reminded in many games how LBs are not all soft...Could be the worst 1st round pick for the club in many years.

Anthony Fasano - 2nd round pick, dealt with another player for a 4th rounder...1 step forward, 3 steps back...Is this how you make your team better?...By compounding bad choices in dealing them for less and then trying it again with a 2nd rounder :confused:

Jason Hatcher - Probably was considered a reach at the time but not a bad selection in retrospect with the 3rd rounder.

Meanwhile, in that time, there have been All Pros and key contributors drafted all around those very picks...More to the point, some teams have had the solid scouting to avoid the pitfalls in buying into hype on some players and also done their homework enough to find the gems.

Right now, the best work I can give the Cowboys credit for in the last 3 drafts is unearthing Scandrick and trusting in Nick Folk (Although Crosby still has done well).

But, seriously, where is the scouting for the club?...Cowboys have to be about the most vanilla drafting club in the league...They defy logic in drafting players they don't necessarily need and demonstrate a penchant for trying to cover one mistaken draft pick with a similar one a year later...Sure would like to see someone at the helm who actually has an eye for talent and occasionally we see a draft gem emerge on the boys instead of seeing them flourish elsewhere.

I see the Broncos with their stable of WRs and I realize they built those guys out of scouting the draft, not Mel's Top 10 players.

Just sayin', front office stinks when it comes to unearthing talent

lkelly

Reaction score
I'm not ready to trade the Dallas scouts and front office for anyone running the Broncos. The Maurice Clarett pick alone screamed incompetence.

FCBarca

Reaction score
lkelly;2258522 said:
I'm not ready to trade the Dallas scouts and front office for anyone running the Broncos. The Maurice Clarett pick alone screamed incompetence.

Perhaps, except Clarett was essentially a 4th rounder (Last pick of the 3rd)...Makes you wonder had the Broncos not picked him there, would Dallas have still picked Barber 8 picks later? :confused:

Boysboy

Reaction score
FCBarca;2258551 said:
Perhaps, except Clarett was essentially a 4th rounder (Last pick of the 3rd)...Makes you wonder had the Broncos not picked him there, would Dallas have still picked Barber 8 picks later? :confused:

Shanahan's system requires speed backs, not bruisers.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Boysboy;2258555 said:
Shanahan's system requires speed backs, not bruisers.

The Burger King mascot was faster than Clarett.

Unfortunate for him, he couldn't outrun the law.

Glad Denver took him, removing the question whether we would have (which I don't think we would have).

Jaxonsdaddd

Reaction score
Dont we get Miami's sixth round pick for Jason Ferguson also? They are 0-2 as well...

Am I really interested in a team's record over a sixth round pick??:damn: :damn:

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
FCBarca;2258289 said:
Not sure, IMHO.

I see our recent drafts and I don't see the gurus in the front office really make some great decisons with the first few round let alone unearthing talent that others overlook... blah...blah...blah

Who would you consider a franchise that drafts well, and I mean a franchise, not picking and choosing picks around Cowboys picks.

Who, the Patriots? The Chargers? Colts? Well look at their history of picks, and show me where they have gotten 3 Pro Bowlers every draft.

It's easy to criticize picks when you have hindsight and the ability to see what you want to see, a lot harder when you look at the bigger picture.

Since 2002 We have drafted these players that CURRENTLY start:
Roy Williams
Andre Gurode
Terrance Newman
Jason Witten
Bradie James
Patrick Crayton
DeMarcus Ware
Marcus Spears
Marion Barber
Chris Canty
Jay Ratliff
Nick Folk
Deon Anderson

Total: 13 Players

In the same time The Might Patriots have:
Ty Warren
Dan Koppen
Vince Wilfork
Logan Mankins
Ellis Hobbs
Laurence Maroney
Stephen Gostkowski
Brandon Meriweather

Total: 8

I think if you compare our numbers, and this isn't even counting players like Spencer/Burnett or the most recent picks who may become starters eventually. 13 Starters is pretty good around the league.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
The 2 biggest misses for me are Carpenter over Cromarte and Anthony Fasano when Devin Hester was avaiable.

Im not saying they were no brainers, or that I even knew it at the time, but those are 2 big ones that make you think.

Some would say drafting Spencer over Bowe(who looks like a pro bowler) was a mistake, but you never want to skimp on pass rushers, the jury is still out there.

And of course the drafting of linemen, other than that we have probably been the best in the league, especially in the mid to later rounds