So Who Do We Draft at #27/#28?

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
To get Spiller, Barber or Choice would have to be gone.

I wouldn't be that upset if we did that. He's a versatile player who can impact ST and be used in alot of ways on offense.

It won't matter though, since Romo won't have time to throw the ball

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3244934 said:
To get Spiller, Barber or Choice would have to be gone.

I wouldn't be that upset if we did that. He's a versatile player who can impact ST and be used in alot of ways on offense.

It won't matter though, since Romo won't have time to throw the ball

Slate, the Saints o-line isn't that good and when teams blitz Brees, they call quick screens or slants. Reggie Bush turns a screen pass into a 40-yard highlight and suddenly teams aren't blitzing as much and their line looks okay.

Although I agree that we need better o-line depth. We need guys who can push or replace our veterans. My take earlier was that if we took Spiller because he was the BPA at our choice, I wouldn't be mad at that.

Also, I have a feeling that either Barber or Choice could be moved this off-season. NOT saying they should, I like both, especially Choice...just saying I think it could happen.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;3244958 said:
Slate, the Saints o-line isn't that good and when teams blitz Brees, they call quick screens or slants. Reggie Bush turns a screen pass into a 40-yard highlight and suddenly teams aren't blitzing as much and their line looks okay.

Although I agree that we need better o-line depth. We need guys who can push or replace our veterans. My take earlier was that if we took Spiller because he was the BPA at our choice, I wouldn't be mad at that.

Also, I have a feeling that either Barber or Choice could be moved this off-season. NOT saying they should, I like both, especially Choice...just saying I think it could happen.

Ya your right. Spiller and Felix in the back field would add alot of potential for huge plays.

I just don't think we're at BPA. O-line is pretty much a must right now. There arn't alot of UFA's that are woth much this year in FA so you can't really fill holes that way. Looks like it's going to have to be done during the draft.

RESIN8

Reaction score
Spiller will be gone. Seattle would be nuts not to draft the guy.

tm1119

Reaction score
What about Cody from Bama? Think of having a D-line on 1st and 2nd down of LE- Igor DT- Cody RE- Ratliff. I highly doubt any team would be able to ever run on us with that line. You could put Ratliff back at DT and have a better pass rusher on the end in passing situations.

Just another name to throw out there. Obviously not our biggest need, but a guy with the size and talent of Cody doesnt come along all that often.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
iGor Olpiffsky;3245580 said:
Taylor Mays

He has the measurables of Sean Taylor and the ballskills of RW 1.0 - no thanks. He'd rather get the big hit than make an actual play.

The Natural

Reaction score
Avery;3245858 said:
He has the measurables of Sean Taylor and the ballskills of RW 1.0 - no thanks. He'd rather get the big hit than make an actual play.

While watching him play, thats exactly who he reminded me of, Sean Taylor..who also didnt have great coverage skills coming out of college. With the right coaching Mays could be a player in this league for years to come

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I go BPA at any of these positions: tackle, safety, wr, defensive end and maybe corner.

Personally I hope it is the tackle position, but it would be nice for Romo to have another wr with speed because they don't have many burners on the outside.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
iGor Olpiffsky;3246053 said:
While watching him play, thats exactly who he reminded me of, Sean Taylor..who also didnt have great coverage skills coming out of college. With the right coaching Mays could be a player in this league for years to come

LOL, Sean Taylor was 10x the collegiate player Mays is. Yeah STaylor got off to a slow start in the pros, but you should really go back and watch some U of Miami games or at the very least look up his stats

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3238955 said:
Baylor C JD Walton

not at 27 though

Best idea you ever had, Bob. :D

Love this guy's profile.

I'm a big fan of kids who play in major conferences against great competition but come from the smaller, undermanned programs. Like players from, say, Mississippi State or Vandy in the SEC or Purdue or Northwestern in the Big 10. If they can stand out on bad teams, they'll usually be really good when they get better players around them.

Anyway, I really like Walton. Wonder what he'll measure and weigh at the combine. Either way, all scouts have to do is look at how he fared against all-time bad *** Mr. Suh.

And smell that on Mays? Yes, it's the stench of Laron Landry.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3247131 said:
Best idea you ever had, Bob. :D

Love this guy's profile.

I'm a big fan of kids who play in major conferences against great competition but come from the smaller, undermanned programs. Like players from, say, Mississippi State or Vandy in the SEC or Purdue or Northwestern in the Big 10. If they can stand out on bad teams, they'll usually be really good when they get better players around them.

Anyway, I really like Walton. Wonder what he'll measure and weigh at the combine. Either way, all scouts have to do is look at how he fared against all-time bad *** Mr. Suh.

And smell that on Mays? Yes, it's the stench of Laron Landry.

probably 6'3" 305

I'm just sick of Gurode at C. Walton is an Academic All American. We need a smart player there.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3247148 said:
probably 6'3" 305

I'm just sick of Gurode at C. Walton is an Academic All American. We need a smart player there.

I feel the same way maybe we can pawn Gurode off on someone else but we need more awareness from the C position.

RESIN8

Reaction score
RESIN8;3238744 said:
I'm thinking the offensive side of the ball and hoping for a tackle to fall. If not I hope we don't reach for a need.

Seeing that we might not see Felix Jones at KR anymore, we might need to address the situation. I expect to see FJ as the full time RB now.

That being said I'd like to see us draft a playmaker type who we can groom into a FT position, but while he is waiting in the wings he can contribute to ST in the way that Harvin did this year.

I really really like this kid Mardy Gilyard from Cincy.

Thanks for making my point Mardy. we could use this kid.

Malcolm Kelly

Reaction score
The Realist;3237905 said:
Half joking.......

CJ Spiller

I'd be very happy with that pick. We could either trade or release Marion Barber. We could make Felix Jones the starter and let Choice and Spiller battle it out for the backup spot. Also, Spiller is one of the best kickoff and punt returners in the draft. We have been looking for an elite kickoff and punt returner for way too long. He would fill that role. The other thing is that if Felix gets hurt, then Miles Austin will be the only proven player on our offense with great speed. And when you have an offense that gets a lot of penalties, you need those big plays to get you some easy points. A Felix/Choice/Spiller combination would keep defensive coordinators up all night trying to figure out how to slow them down. Spiller returning kickoffs and punts would be a huge upgrade. I don't know if the Cowboys would take him, but I think he would help this team more than an offensive guard would. Besides look at it this way. If Jerry doesn't draft an offensive guard in the first round and he does well then it won't be something that he gets blasted over as much as if he passes over Spiller and he becomes a star in NFL. An explosive star running back can make all of the difference when you are trying to get over the hump. Last, but not least, Spiller might be the best player available at that pick and I believe in usually taking the best player available.