So Will The Owners Approve The Deal Or Not?..

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
...The following is from the Washington Post's story on the developments last night and this morning: "This morning's development means the owners will now vote on an approved deal instead of a proposal."

For those who know how all of this works, does this mean the owners are now likely to approve the deal when they meet this week?

joseephuss

Reaction score
Eventually. I think there may be some tweaking, but it will get signed in the next few days or weeks.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
What is the deal?

My guess is at 59.5% of revenues - no. It was a 60% to 56% stalemate. Now they can pretty up % to save face for side that has to fold.

This wreaks of Tags buying 3 days to take NFLPA offer on table back for "reconsideration".

I sense this will bump up against Deadline again - before any agreement is struck. Also - note the owners need 24 votes to pass deal.

AtlCB

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
...The following is from the Washington Post's story on the developments last night and this morning: "This morning's development means the owners will now vote on an approved deal instead of a proposal."

For those who know how all of this works, does this mean the owners are now likely to approve the deal when they meet this week?
I can't imagine the small market teams agreeing to this without revenue sharing.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Eventually. I think there may be some tweaking, but it will get signed in the next few days or weeks.

the owners can't tweek the deal. they either approve the agreement or not.

if the owners reject this deal then there is going to be no deal for a considerable period of time. and I expect that Tags would resign.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
I think the way this has been spun by Tags and the media is BS... Calling this a "deal pending owner approval..." That's been the case all along. 56 to 60% stalemate, they said the deal was dead as a doornail. So the Union moves a half of a percentage point, and Tags says no... Then he says, well give me the deal, I'll take it to the owners and see what they say. They're not gonna accept this as is, that means it's not a deal.

Champsheart

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:

I do not know much about this stuff and how it works, but I really do not think the Owners are going to approval their proposal. I think this is a complete waste of time. JMO

joseephuss

Reaction score
abersonc said:

if the owners reject this deal then there is going to be no deal for a considerable period of time. and I expect that Tags would resign.

They said it would be considerable time before even they got to this point. There could still be some back and forth on this. Nothin major as I think they are close. It isn't as if the owners don't know what the deal is right now. They are part of the negotiations.

joseephuss

Reaction score
AtlCB said:
I can't imagine the small market teams agreeing to this without revenue sharing.

Revenue sharing already exists. The big contracts, tv and apparel are all shared equally.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Revenue sharing already exists. The big contracts, tv and apparel are all shared equally.

True only dispute appears to be over local revenue and I'm on Jerry side when it comes to that.

aikemirv

Reaction score
You know the funny part about revenue sharing is that the union is all for as much sharing as possible, but in the end that idea will hurt players salaries and bonuses more because guys like Jerry will not have as much cash to make deals in FA and the guys who are getting Jerry's and Danny's revenue are still going to hoard it and not spend the big money on players.

Somehow Upshaw thinks that just because more money is shared that it will go to the players and that is not necessarily true at all, unless there is a big minimum that a club can spend and I have not seen that at all.!

joseephuss

Reaction score
aikemirv said:
You know the funny part about revenue sharing is that the union is all for as much sharing as possible, but in the end that idea will hurt players salaries and bonuses more because guys like Jerry will not have as much cash to make deals in FA and the guys who are getting Jerry's and Danny's revenue are still going to hoard it and not spend the big money on players.

Somehow Upshaw thinks that just because more money is shared that it will go to the players and that is not necessarily true at all, unless there is a big minimum that a club can spend and I have not seen that at all.!

That is a great point.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
They said it would be considerable time before even they got to this point. There could still be some back and forth on this. Nothin major as I think they are close. It isn't as if the owners don't know what the deal is right now. They are part of the negotiations.

No, it isn't part of negotiations. Tags's job is to negotiate deals for the owners. Tags worked out a deal with the union. Negotiations done.

If the owners don't like that deal that Tags and Upshaw worked so hard to strike, then it amounts to a no confidence vote for Tags. And as I noted before, Tags may resign if that happens. Similarly if the players refuse to ratify the deal, Upshaw is done.

aikemirv

Reaction score
abersonc said:
No, it isn't part of negotiations. Tags's job is to negotiate deals for the owners. Tags worked out a deal with the union. Negotiations done.

If the owners don't like that deal that Tags and Upshaw worked so hard to strike, then it amounts to a no confidence vote for Tags. And as I noted before, Tags may resign if that happens. Similarly if the players refuse to ratify the deal, Upshaw is done.

From reading the reports it does not look as if Tags is married to the deal and presenting it to the owners as a fair deal to me. It just looks like an effort to get the thing moving again.

I see no "I will resign if the owners don't sign" in this proposal at all. It is a group of people anyway, not just Tags.

"The NFL negotiators called us tonight after our negotiations broke off to indicate that they will take our complete package to the owners for an approval vote on Tuesday,

Rockytop6

Reaction score
abersonc said:

I hope he would resign.

Rockytop6

Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
I think the way this has been spun by Tags and the media is BS... Calling this a "deal pending owner approval..." That's been the case all along. 56 to 60% stalemate, they said the deal was dead as a doornail. So the Union moves a half of a percentage point, and Tags says no... Then he says, well give me the deal, I'll take it to the owners and see what they say. They're not gonna accept this as is, that means it's not a deal.

There is no guarantee that the players will accept it. It should read "pending the owners approval and the players ratification".

I would hate for Tags and Upshaw to be in charge of anything that I had anything to do with.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No deal will be done in my opinoin. 59.5 is still 60 rather then 56. Revenue sharing is not going to fly with 9 or 10 owners unless something else is given up by the small market guys. Why would smart owners handicap themselves in this way and then further compound the problem by agreeing to pay even more then what they initially had to. If the poor owners can't afford to leave the revenue sharing the way it is, then how are they going to be able to afford to pony up more money to account for the increase to 60%? They wont and it will eventually have to be off set by the teams who are making more money. At least, that's the story we'll get.

I don't see it.