So, will Watkins start in Jax?

kTXe

On To The Next One
Reaction score
Keith Davis will be fully recovered from his minor surgery to remove the bullet from his leg come week 1. However, it is possible that he will not crack the starting lineup because of Watkins' solid play. I personally think that Davis will still start the first few weeks with Watkins taking over the starting role after the bye. Thoughts?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
eman721 said:
Keith Davis will be fully recovered from his minor surgery to remove the bullet from his leg come week 1. However, it is possible that he will not crack the starting lineup because of Watkins' solid play. I personally think that Davis will still start the first few weeks with Watkins taking over the starting role after the bye. Thoughts?

I'm confident that Watkins can do a better job at safety than Davis and hope to see him start game 1 and through out the season

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101 said:
I'm confident that Watkins can do a better job at safety than Davis and hope to see him start game 1 and through out the season

I agree with you. I'd take the rookie mistakes and just put Pat out there day 1.

KingTuna

Reaction score
I hope Watkins starts this year. He has earned it and gives a LEGIT playmaker at FS who has a nose for the ball and closing SPEED!

Champsheart

Reaction score
eman721 said:

I agree with you, sort of.

Davis will probably start against Jacksonville, but I expect Watkins to get plenty of time in passing situations.

If he does well, I think you could see him start as early as week 2.

The only reason I do not think he starts right out the gate is because even when he started in the Pre-Season we saw very little of him because the front 7 dominated and there was not much for him to do. I think this leaves some uncertainty about him starting, just to few reps.

Dion2288

Reaction score
eman721 said:

I also agree. However, I think the 3rd game may be too early. Possibly the week prior to the Carolina game which gives him even more time to prepare and make sure he has the secondary assignments, calls, and audibles down.

A move like this mid-season gives the team new life and momentum and would make a major statement to the entire league.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Remember FS was a weakness for this team last year, Davis was the starting FS and is the weakness of the secondary. May as well put the rookie out there I think he has talent to make plays that Davis can't.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Not a doubt in my mind he'll start.
You're that sure Hos?

BP doesn't like starting rookie safeties......

I agree with the Champs, I see Davis starting, but Watkins getting a lot of PT, ala Willie Pile last season...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
JBell523 said:
You're that sure Hos?

I agree with the Champs, I see Davis starting, but Watkins getting a lot of PT, ala Willie Pile last season...
No, I'm not sure as in it's a lock. But I believe he will for a couple of reasons.

1. He has been doing that and producing.

2. I think Parcells will send Davis a message about the habit he has of getting shot.

3. Jacksonville has a couple of tall WRs. He'll be in there as insurance.

4. I think they want him to do he job.

Duane

Reaction score
I know Watkins will start in the nickel but if he's starting on the base defense it'll be a pleasant surprise.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I don't know... I think he just might start. I think he's a pretty bright guy and I know he has the physical skills. Still, there's a chance Davis starts and Watkins is worked in rather quickly.

I do hope he starts because that means he's further along than any of us hoped he might be when we drafted him.

superpunk

Reaction score
JBell523 said:
You're that sure Hos?

Wouldn't Davis kind of qualify as a rookie safety? At least a rookie free safety. It's not like he had any experience there before.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
JBell523 said:

There was a PC a couple weeks ago where BP reminded us he started two rookies together at the safeties with the NYG.

bobtheflob

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Wouldn't Davis kind of qualify as a rookie safety? At least a rookie free safety. It's not like he had any experience there before.

I think that was more due to a lack of other options at the time than Parcells being very comfortable playing him.