So you want to know how the skins can sign all these Fa's?

SkinsFan07

Benched
Reaction score
To me, even though Peter King is a complete Moron and he is always bashing the Commanders with every chance he can get, Peter King understands now how the Commanders continually sign free agent players.

2. Now we know how the Commanders play Houdini with the cap every year.
I hear it every winter -- from editors, readers, people in line at Starbucks. (True story: I got asked at an Orlando Starbucks during the league meetings how the Commanders were able to sign 10 guys to gigantic contracts every year.) The answer: They don't. It's 70 percent funny money. Take the case of linebacker Andre Carter, signed to a reported seven-year, $32.5 million contract on March 15. It's more accurately a one-year, $5.85 million deal, or a two-year, $10.18 million contract, or a three-year, $13.5 million deal. See, the Commanders sign players to long deals, but the contracts are back-loaded, meaning the players would get most of the money in the final years of the contracts, if they get the money at all. And if Carter turns out to be the defensive force the Commanders hope he'll be, they'll almost certainly let him play the first two years, then re-do the deal before the fat money kicks in. Specifically, in Carter's case, he has two major slices of money he may never see: $13.4 million, combined, in five separate roster bonuses to be earned if he's on the roster in 2008, '09, '10, '11 and '12; and salaries totaling $8.9 million between 2008 and 2012. Collectively, that's $22.3 million of $32 million he may never see. Now the other question you have is this: Won't the Commanders get killed on the salary cap if they release Carter after, say, two years? The answer is not really, because the only part of his contract that's guaranteed is the signing bonus, which is $5 million.

And there you have it. That is how the Commanders can sign the free agents that will help them fill their team needs without taking a huge cap it.

*EDIT*

SORRY WRONG "ZONE"! Please move to another one. Thanks!

enjoy!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/04/17/mmqb.0417/index.html

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
So you want to know how the skins can sign all these Fa's?

No, I don't. And this is a cowboys forum. Skins crap doesn't belong here, Troll.

Post this crap in the NFL zone where it belongs.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Rack said:
No, I don't. And this is a cowboys forum. Skins crap doesn't belong here, Troll.

You could have fooled me. We roll out the red carpet for the vermin around here. Why, I don't know.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Alexander said:
You could have fooled me. We roll out the red carpet for the vermin around here. Why, I don't know.

I think the mods here try too hard NOT to be like ES. But seriously, if it's not cowboys news, it doesn't belong in this forum.

Even a dumb skins fan should be able to figure that out.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Funny. A skins fan quoting Peter King and saying he's right. :lmao2:

I think ES has a bounty out on that guy. They sprain their fingers typing that he's a POS after every single article he writes. He's the top dog on the "Hates the Commanders" bulletin board over at ES.

Now, suddenly, his stuff is the gospel?:rolleyes:

He is right though... and it really isn't all that different than what everyone does. As long as the players are good boyscouts and redo the deal when the skins need it... it will be fine for them.

Dallas has signed way more the last two years. We didn't watch players like Smoot and Pierce walk because we couldn't match. If someone left... it's because we wanted them to.

This year we've signed a lot of people who will help, and have plenty of room to do more... even after today's signing. Plus, we have our number one pick. We'll pick two players before the skins get a shot at their first.

Don't know why any skins fan would be over here crowing about acquiring talent. We've kicked their arse at that too.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Actually, the best part of King's article is where he talks about the good players from last year's draft. He mentions 10 players from assorted teams, and then he says:

"if you want to get cute about it, maybe some combo platter of the young Cowboys (Demarcus Ware, Chris Canty, Marion Barber, Rob Petitti)."

He didn't mention Marcus Spears which you would think would be an oversight because by the end of the season, he was clearly outplaying Canty... who still played very well.

I didn't notice any Commanders on the list either. How could they miss All Sig Pic prospect Robert McCune?

Yeah... real good job of acquiring talent by the Skins.

SkinsFan07

Benched
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
Funny. A skins fan quoting Peter King and saying he's right. :lmao2:

I think ES has a bounty out on that guy. They sprain their fingers typing that he's a POS after every single article he writes. He's the top dog on the "Hates the Commanders" bulletin board over at ES.

Now, suddenly, his stuff is the gospel?:rolleyes:

He is right though... and it really isn't all that different than what everyone does. As long as the players are good boyscouts and redo the deal when the skins need it... it will be fine for them.

Dallas has signed way more the last two years. We didn't watch players like Smoot and Pierce walk because we couldn't match. If someone left... it's because we wanted them to.

This year we've signed a lot of people who will help, and have plenty of room to do more... even after today's signing. Plus, we have our number one pick. We'll pick two players before the skins get a shot at their first.

Don't know why any skins fan would be over here crowing about acquiring talent. We've kicked their arse at that too.

We do have a number one pick, and that is Jason Campbell. Since we had 2 1st rounders last year, we snagged Rogers at #9 and Campbell at #25 which is almost identical to the pick we gave the broncos (#22). Therefore we didnt necessarily need a 1st rounder this year. About aquiring talent i still dont know how getting TO is kicking our arse in that category sorry. At least through FA.

I'd say we both did about the same job this year and last at getting key players that would help each of our teams get better.

In the draft, yeah you guys have done a better job though.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
SkinsFan07 said:
We do have a number one pick, and that is Jason Campbell. Since we had 2 1st rounders last year, we snagged Rogers at #9 and Campbell at #25 which is almost identical to the pick we gave the broncos (#22). Therefore we didnt necessarily need a 1st rounder this year. About aquiring talent i still dont know how getting TO is kicking our arse in that category sorry. At least through FA.

I'd say we both did about the same job this year and last at getting key players that would help each of our teams get better.

In the draft, yeah you guys have done a better job though.

Fair enough response. Particularly considering the aggrivated tone of my post.

Yeah, I didn't forget about Campbell, but frankly I don't think he's a good prospect. I could be wrong, and this time it isn't anti Commander bias... I just don't think he'll turn out good. It is true however that you had two picks last year.

But when someone says you don't have a number one this year, teams could always say, we did... we just used it on John Doe, or whoever. We could say we did have two number one's in the early 00's... we just used them on Joey Galloway.

Fact is, we didn't have number one picks those year's and you don't have one this year.

What if there is a prospect sitting there that Gibbs thinks would be perfect for his team? He doesn't have the ammunition to go get him because he doesn't have a number 1 pick. We have flexibility because we have a first rounder... you don't because you don't.

I'll take:

Ayodele
Vanderjagt
TO
Kosier
Hannam
Fabini
Coleman

Over:

Randall El
Lloyd
Carter
Wright
(am I missing someone?)

But that's just me.

KINGBRICE_28

Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
Kosier <-------Pwnt by LaVar

:cool: Just had to point that out again.......

I though Adam already cleared this up....I guess he missed it....

Is anyone gonna move this thread?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I'm just wondering... has any offensive lineman ever blocked Arrington? The way you bring up the Kosier thing, you'd think Arrington was never, ever blocked. Ever.

By the way, Arrington isn't a deadskin anymore so what difference does it make?

KINGBRICE_28

Reaction score
Rack said:
I'm just wondering... has any offensive lineman ever blocked Arrington? The way you bring up the Kosier thing, you'd think Arrington was never, ever blocked. Ever.

By the way, Arrington isn't a deadskin anymore so what difference does it make?

#1- No , LaVar has smashed through every lineman he's ever touched , in fact he turns most lineman to dust apon contact.

#2- LaVar is coming back , this is just a cover up to distract you guys so we can get 3 first rd picks and Peyton Manning:D

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I amazes me how Commander fans get so excited about Lavar blowing up a rookie O-lineman .............

What was their record that year by the way?

KINGBRICE_28

Reaction score
zrinkill said:
I amazes me how Commander fans get so excited about Lavar blowing up a rookie O-lineman .............

What was their record that year by the way?

24-0 right?....I could'a sworn that was the year the Commanders rep'd the nfc probowl team too.......

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
KINGBRICE_28 said:
24-0 right?....I could'a sworn that was the year the Commanders rep'd the nfc probowl team too.......
Not Even when you're biggest fan was the commisioner. :rolleyes:

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Maybe ...... The Skins are stacked with like 12 3rd team recievers ...... how can that be stopped????? ;)