Softening My Stance on Kellen "The Hammer" Moore

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You must have really been giddy when Romo was on the team since he was an undrafted free agent. Our group is different. We really don’t make fun of you guys. We don’t care about your opinions enough to waste our time.

I like any good QB for the Cowboys, what Cowboy fan wouldnt?

What kind of Cowboys fan are you? Not a very good on apparently.

And you obviously wouldnt know a good QB when you see one.

plasticman

Reaction score
Does Garrett get any credit for determining that his backup QB would make an excellent coach?

If you like what Moore is doing, then wouldn't that soften criticism of Garrett to a degree?

I agree Garrett deserves criticism is many areas as a Head Coach. heck, I was on his case when he was a OC back in the first half of the 2010 season. His play calling was terrible, almost cowardly. He would pass the ball up to 14 times in a row. There were only two occasions in the first 5 games of 2010 in which he ran the ball back to back on 1st and 2nd down and they got a first down on both sets!

However, to be fair, there were things he was good at and one of them was personnel evaluation. Garrett could identify NFL talent. LOL, he just didn't know how to use it sometimes.

Garrett played a big hand in the development of Kellen Moore as a coach and he was largely responsible for the drafting of Dak Prescott whom he personally interviewed before the draft.

I'm just saying, yeah, he wasn't successful, but let's not hate on him. If the Cowboys are successful in the immediate future, then Jason did play at least a small part in that success.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Sure, why not - he got that right.

But it was Linehan who hyped up Kellen, he was the one who brought him in as backup because he loved his football IQ.

And it was Jerry and Stevie who eventually fell in love with Kellen.

Does Garrett get any credit for determining that his backup QB would make an excellent coach?

If you like what Moore is doing, then wouldn't that soften criticism of Garrett to a degree?

I agree Garrett deserves criticism is many areas as a Head Coach. heck, I was on his case when he was a OC back in the first half of the 2010 season. His play calling was terrible, almost cowardly. He would pass the ball up to 14 times in a row. There were only two occasions in the first 5 games of 2010 in which he ran the ball back to back on 1st and 2nd down and they got a first down on both sets!

However, to be fair, there were things he was good at and one of them was personnel evaluation. Garrett could identify NFL talent. LOL, he just didn't know how to use it sometimes.

Garrett played a big hand in the development of Kellen Moore as a coach and he was largely responsible for the drafting of Dak Prescott whom he personally interviewed before the draft.

I'm just saying, yeah, he wasn't successful, but let's not hate on him. If the Cowboys are successful in the immediate future, then Jason did play at least a small part in that success.

Motorola

Reaction score
He’s been an increasingly hot commodity since his first game at OC. He got a HC interview after his 2nd year as a coordinator. He’s already one of the hottest off-season HC candidates in the league for next season after week 5.

If it’s just now dawning on you that he might be developing into a play caller, you’re about three seasons behind.
Gonna be interesting on January 10th 2022 aka NFL "Black Monday" if the Cowboys have 12+ victories and a top-two playoff spot.
What HC jobs become available, which of those teams "come a calling", and....
How does the Cowboys owner & GM react? (Premptive strike - assistant HC \ head coach-in-waiting?)

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gonna be interesting on January 10th 2022 aka NFL "Black Monday" if the Cowboys have 12+ victories and a top-two playoff spot.
What HC jobs become available, which of those teams "come a calling", and....
How does the Cowboys owner & GM react? (Premptive strike - assistant HC \ head coach-in-waiting?)

It really is.

I know what I’d do. I’d roll the dice that Moore, who’s a special OC, becomes a special HC. I like McCarthy ok, but he’s not a special coach.

Reactions: BAT

Motorola

Reaction score
It really is.

I know what I’d do. I’d roll the dice that Moore, who’s a special OC, becomes a special HC. I like McCarthy ok, but he’s not a special coach.
How's this for a scenario: Cowboys win @ SoFi in February...McCarthy with his now 2 championships steps away from Dallas (Jones prodding).

plasticman

Reaction score
Sure, why not - he got that right.

But it was Linehan who hyped up Kellen, he was the one who brought him in as backup because he loved his football IQ.

And it was Jerry and Stevie who eventually fell in love with Kellen.
True, it was Linehan who recommended him to Garrett. He wasn't particularly fond of Wade Wilson's approach and thought that Moore would be a good candidate to replace him.

However, it was Jason Garrett who hired him.....and then replaced Linehan with him. I don't think that was Linehan's idea.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...e-on-these-cowboys/ar-AAPsCuI?ocid=uxbndlbing

"He's more than an old coach to me," Prescott said after the game. "Obviously, he's the head coach that brought me into this league. There's a lot of the way I prepare, and a lot of the way that I play the game that I've taken from him"