CFZ Solidify Your Roster; Make One More Splash Move

Pass2Run

Reaction score
The draft is over, but certainly we didn't get that close last year and decide we are done now, did we?

If I'm Jerry, I would hand the reigns over to McClay, McCarthy, Quinn, and scouting team from here. Let's figure out a way to get better, and lessen the cap, if we can. For some reason, I smell one or two more free agent additions. If reducing the cap cannot be done, we need to find the weakest link and upgrade it. Add one more weapon, or one more guy to bolster the line.

Would it be totally stupid to have a guy like Henry? No, not in my mind, especially because you could give him a reduced load. Will they do it? I'm not sure enough about the contract details and real-world possibilities.

Even bringing in the best defensive tackle on the market, or making another Hankins-like trade would be great. We got bigger and stronger against the run, but one more run-stopping guy in the middle would be the cherry on top. That's the move I would like to see them make. It all starts with the run, even in the Super Bowl, as we saw last year.

It just so happens that the two most effective passers from last year also had the two most effective run games....

We need a kicker, a possible 3rd QB; don't pull a San Fran like last year, and we need another veteran FA who adds stability to either line or another weapon for Dak. But we need one more cherry on top here from Jerry and I think even the most pessimistic fans would possibly finally give the guy the break I think he's earned the past few years, because he was finally smart enough to allow McClay to do the bulk of the important work. He's still an egofreak. But checking himself some has paid off, and the results are much better.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Realistic or Madden?

The obvious is kicker.

Madden, a top 3 QB
Realistic. I don't play Madden often. If I do, I don't do the roster thing. But I'm talking realistic. I think they have more cap space after June 1, it sounds like.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Realistic. I don't play Madden often. If I do, I don't do the roster thing. But I'm talking realistic. I think they have more cap space after June 1, it sounds like.
That money will be used for extensions. There wont be any splash signings, not for any kind of money anyway.

And I havent played Madden since the 90s. Just felt the need to clarify before the gang jumps in.

Xavier187

Reaction score
I would sign a Kicker then see what the cost of Quinnen Williams would be. Would dangle Osi and a 2nd rounder to see if they bite. Then watch the cuts

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I would sign a Kicker then see what the cost of Quinnen Williams would be. Would dangle Osi and a 2nd rounder to see if they bite. Then watch the cuts
We just drafted our first, first round tackle in decades and you think they'd trade for another one wanting 22/23 mill a year?

Someone didnt read the Madden disclaimer.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
We just drafted our first, first round tackle in decades and you think they'd trade for another one wanting 22/23 mill a year?

Someone didnt read the Madden disclaimer.
I'm just hoping we didn't miss the boat on Keondre Coburn. I think once a great coach gets ahold of him, he's going to beast. Same thing I thought about James Houston last year. We'll see I guess. Deion is a blowhard, and a recruiter, maybe position coach. Not much of an Xs and Os guy, which is why he always has great assistants. I'm only saying that because Houston had to catch up to NFL speed, got cut, then came back and knocked it out of the park. Had he had a better coach, as far as technique, and insight into what they were up to, he would have been ready off the bat. Guy was very underrated.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I'm just hoping we didn't miss the boat on Keondre Coburn. I think once a great coach gets ahold of him, he's going to beast. Same thing I thought about James Houston last year. We'll see I guess. Deion is a blowhard, and a recruiter, maybe position coach. Not much of an Xs and Os guy, which is why he always has great assistants. I'm only saying that because Houston had to catch up to NFL speed, got cut, then came back and knocked it out of the park. Had he had a better coach, as far as technique, and insight into what they were up to, he would have been ready off the bat. Guy was very underrated.
I honestly think this roster is pretty tight.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I don't expect any "splash" signings, but I hope they aren't done.
To me another splash signing, would be like another Jonathan Hankins, but actually before camp this time. Mazi is great, Hankins is great, we need more guys on that level, who can also get to a passer, and we'd be unstoppable on defense. Like, without a doubt. Tired of waiting on guys to develop as DTS, unless they are rooks. Give these dudes a year, or the door.

Mr_437

Reaction score
We like our guys?
As a draft n develop team it's important to coach these young players up, and only add a veteran if "our guys" show their not ready.

Last season, the Cowboys did ok when Tolbert n Bohanna couldn't be what the team needed them to be...McClay did a good patch work job with TY Hilton and Hankins.

I'm agreeing with blindfaith. What position are they going to add a player (besides K)?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Where are we at QB3? Overlooking that in a 17 game season would be nothing more than foolish. One guy gets hurt, and then the rest of your team's fate rests on that guy not getting hurt. See San Fran last year. It was Karma, in my mind, for the dirty play on Pollard. But they were putting up a fight even with scrubs, after their backup went down with a concussion and the second scrub had to come back in.

They have just set up their offense so that it's easy to run, for almost anyone. Keep is simple stupid. That's what they're doing in San Fran. You just have to have the right players to run that scheme, and it looks like they're doing that to me.

In my view, you don't come out in the first game with Deuce Vaughn. There are still a few things he needs to work on, especially heading into a season. But by game 4-5, I think fans will be urging for him to be in the mix, and by that time, having to be held out, he should be ready. That's how I'd do Deuce, personally. Just because, then, he'd be so mad he'd play his *** off.

Anyway, yeah, I think one more guy in the middle.. and you're set. I personally like Odiggy, hopefully Fehoko is the guy. But another boss DT would set this team up for success.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
As a draft n develop team it's important to coach these young players up, and only add a veteran if "our guys" show their not ready.

Last season, the Cowboys did ok when Tolbert n Bohanna couldn't be what the team needed them to be...McClay did a good patch work job with TY Hilton and Hankins.

I'm agreeing with blindfaith. What position are they going to add a player (besides K)?
I think it depends on camp. I think if Tolbert and Fehoko don't cut it, then you can possibly look at a 4th WR, if you have no luck with the UDFAs, which I think is a much better group this year. I look at the DT position, and think that an injury to either guy could put us in a predicament there. So far, I see a glaring hole at the #4, 5, 6 WR spots. You essentially have nobody you've had enough faith that you could count on them enough to not have to go sign T.Y. Hilton. And Hilton's stats weren't all that great. Then again, it wasn't all his fault because he wasn't the one throwing the ball.

You have to work in at least two of these WRs, or it's a fail. I, too, like that group. But would also like to see some veteran competition, maybe even, dear I say, James Waashington. It's cool to bring those guys to camp, but considering you didn't have enough faith to draft one until after the 7th round, and Fehoko, and Tolbert, at the top those you've been confident in, it would be irresponsible to count on them, given the odds are stacked against most of them.

Fehoko
Tolbert
Stephens Jr.
Cropper
Durden
Barbon
Brooks
Smith
Turpin

And, like I said, DT is one injury away from being back to average, just like WR, if Lamb or Cooks goes down. I like these players too. And you don't want them to fail, but you should prepare for if they do.

The best teams can impose their will in spite of injuries.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
You're telling me that can't upgrade at a few positions? You can upgrade at center; you can upgrade at DT, you can upgrade at WR 4,5, right? You can find interesting competition at QB 3.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Fehoko
Tolbert
Stephens Jr.
Cropper
Durden
Barbon
Brooks
Smith
Turpin
Houston
Callaway
Drummond

This makes 11 WRs going for 3 spots...something is wrong with the scouting group if they can't find 3 "backup WRs". I'm actually confident they can find 2 or 3 out of 11 in this group. If Lamb goes down they're screwed anyway.

At DT, development comes into play with Bohanna..maybe it clicks in year 3, and we're looking at a surplus at NT. I can dream.