Some charting and stats analysis from the 1st half of the New Orleans game

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I posted this up in my blog (link below), but here's what I found from my charting the first half of the New Orleans game.

1. New Orleans had 8+ defenders in the box 16 out of 39 plays (41% of the times)

2. We still ran the ball 11 times out of those 16 times they had 8+ in the box (69% of the time)

3. We ran the ball 59% of the time up the middle.

We basically ran 11 different types of formations. However, we ran either a standard split back or I-formation 42% of the time.

Basically we were 4 times likely to run either a standard I formation or Split Back formation than any other formation (shotgun, 3 WR, etc) out there.

The running game wasn't without its flaws against New Orleans, but it did a lot better than people give it credit for, especially since it was designed to make it very difficult to run the ball in the first place.

If you want to know why Parcells hasn't tore into the running game against New Orleans, this is probably the reason why.

YAKUZA

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Watching the game, it looked like there was a lot of penetration and missed blocks. One or the other on almost every attempt. I could certainly be wrong, that's jsut how it looked.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
baj1dallas said:
Watching the game, it looked like there was a lot of penetration and missed blocks. One or the other on almost every attempt. I could certainly be wrong, that's jsut how it looked.

Unfortunately the guys on the other team get paid too... I mean it's sorta their job to disrupt our offense.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
There were a few plays were the Saints got penetration on a running play. One was when Gurode got pushed. There were 2 others where McQuistan apparently missed an assignment. Then there was 1 where Fasano missed his assigment, but I doubt it matted too much since the Saints had 10 in the box on that play.

Part of the problem also was that most of the running plays were either ISO's or Dives up the middle --- 2 plays that are not what Julius specializes in.

YAKUZA

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
There were a few plays were the Saints got penetration on a running play. One was when Gurode got pushed. There were 2 others where McQuistan apparently missed an assignment. Then there was 1 where Fasano missed his assigment, but I doubt it matted too much since the Saints had 10 in the box on that play.

Part of the problem also was that most of the running plays were either ISO's or Dives up the middle --- 2 plays that are not what Julius specializes in.

YAKUZA
Perfect for "sack" checks and player eval(s).

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
adbutcher said:
Perfect for "sack" checks and player eval(s).

I think the main guy they were looking to evaluate with their runs was Fasano. He's not exactly Moose Johnston as a lead blocker, but generally made the right decisions and would stand up his guy, be it a LB or safety. He had some really good blocks early on in the game when New Orleans was throwing 7 in the box. But then the Saints started coming pretty heavy with 8 in the box and the running game diminished.

YAKUZA

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
I think the main guy they were looking to evaluate with their runs was Fasano. He's not exactly Moose Johnston as a lead blocker, but generally made the right decisions and would stand up his guy, be it a LB or safety. He had some really good blocks early on in the game when New Orleans was throwing 7 in the box. But then the Saints started coming pretty heavy with 8 in the box and the running game diminished.

YAKUZA
That is very good news. I haven't rewatched the game yet so I appreciate all of your hard work.

Hoov

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Unfortunately the guys on the other team get paid too... I mean it's sorta their job to disrupt our offense.

I love how people forget that part

proline

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:

YAKUZA

There was also one play where Rivera pulled left and couldn't make up his mind who to block. He switched off of one guy that he hadn't yet engaged to take on another guy, and the first guy ended up making the tackle in the backfield.