Some day before draft Cowboys musing

JBS

Reaction score
-There is alot of intrigue in in the 1st. Seems like more than most years, but I guess you could say that every year

- Sourced info has been all over the place. Especially this week. One outlet says we are looking to do this. Another says we are looking to do something completely different. Could be disinformation. Could be info is more scarce due to Covid 19. Could be both. Wouldn't surprise me if what happens with the Cowboys at 17 is something that wasn't reported and/or contradicts what has been reported

- CJ Henderson is an interesting figure in this draft. Through out the process, he has been considered the consensus #2 CB by media scouts. However there have reports that some teams actually have him higher than Okudah. Last week there were rumors teams where looking to trade up around the top 10 for Henderson. He is going to be an interesting person to watch this draft from the Cowboys perspective.

- Javon Kinlaw is another very interesting figure. With him its the fact that so much contradicting medical info has been put out. First it was his knee. Then it was his knee, hips and back. Then he was medically cleared or whatever. Also what is the Cowboys interest in this player. We seem to like him early, but I thought (and this could be inaccurate) I read a report that we werent that high on him.

- Chaisson seems to be the name that comes up most consistently with Dallas. But even then, he has a good solid 10 pick range of where he could go.

- I buy trading down for Ruiz more than I buy staying put and reaching for the 3rd best CB (Terrell or whoever). Seems more the Cowboys MO, and it reminds me of 2013 in that they didnt feel Eric Reid was worth 18 even though they liked him and moved off the pick. That tends to to get over shadowed due to the Floyd communion.

- If they are looking for a defender at 17, what happens if Juedy does fall? Either way that will be a great post draft read.

- Dont be shocked if they are proactive with Henderson or Chaisson. I think they might start working the phones around pick 10-12. Somewhere in there. Keep an eye on Okudah too, especially if Henderson does in fact leapfrog him. If they did their due diligence, then they are most likely very high on him

There is nothing in what you said that doesn't have some merit to it. However, I honestly believe things are much more clear than you are making it out to be.

1) I don't think there is any chance Henderson falls to 17. You can scratch his name off the list, unless you want to trade up for him.

2) I think you can forget about WR in round one. I don't think it matters who is available there. Jeudy? Nope. Ruggs? Nope. Lamb? Nope. Dallas isn't taking any of them. This isn't my opinion or how I would do things. This is what other people are saying.

3) Chaisson is definitely the guy they want that actually has a chance of being there. If he's there, he is the guy.

4) Reaching for Terrell or Diggs is the next most likely option, imo. Even above trading down. This team has a massive hole at cb and they won't risk not getting one unless it's for a player they absolutely love (Chaisson)

All in all here is what I believe

option 1) Chaisson
Option 2) Diggs or Terrell

Last edited:

Kaiser

Reaction score
- I buy trading down for Ruiz more than I buy staying put and reaching for the 3rd best CB (Terrell or whoever). Seems more the Cowboys MO, and it reminds me of 2013 in that they didnt feel Eric Reid was worth 18 even though they liked him and moved off the pick. That tends to to get over shadowed due to the Floyd communion.

I have settled on Chaisson at this point but XWalker loves Terrell. I'm starting to really like the idea of trading down and taking Terrell. On one of the pay sites their mock had Dallas trading out of 17 and getting two high #4s and then picking Terrell at 23.

JBS

Reaction score
I have settled on Chaisson at this point but XWalker loves Terrell. I'm starting to really like the idea of trading down and taking Terrell. On one of the pay sites their mock had Dallas trading out of 17 and getting two high #4s and then picking Terrell at 23.

I don't think you are getting Terrell if you move down. I also don't see Dallas getting enough value for 17 to push them off the pick. Moving down in this draft is what everybody wants to do. The value in moving down will be less than most years. Imo, Jerry won't move off 17 for less value than normal and will take Diggs or Terrell at 17.

The main caveat here is, if a qb or OT falls and generates enough of a trade chip, in that instance, I do see Dallas moving down. But I think the odds of that are slim

Creeper

Reaction score
You cant go by those charts. Each team has it own chart, and trade compensation varies by trade.

Stephan Jones was questioned about only getting a 3rd round pick in 2013 and he responded it being good value based their chart

Its a point of reference like all the big boards floating around the internet. Obviously we will not get access to the individual teams trade charts or big boards.

Carson

Reaction score
So from what I gathered

Round 1 - Terrell, Chaisson, Ruiz
Round 2 - QB
Round 3 - QB, Asiasi

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But it's just that. Speculation. You cant have an expectation of compensation based any one chart because teams use differents.

History tells us that the Cowboys view a move from 18 to 31 to have about a 3rd round value. Stephan himself said it was good value based on their chart

It goes both ways. Sometimes teams overpay to trade up.

If someone does a mock draft trade or proposes a trade for their team, then the trade should either be chart value or their team should get less than chart value.

No need to call someone out on trade value unless they have their team getting more than chart value.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i still think k'lavon chaisson will be our pick @17.

but something keeps telling me its gonna be someone we're missing....a player we've visited with but hasn't generated any buzz.
☆Jeff Gladney,CB-Tcu
☆Yetur Gross-Matos,DE-Penn St
☆Patrick Queen,LB-Lsu
☆Jalen Reagor,WR-Tcu

cowboyec

Reaction score
agree.
chaisson is my guy...but i do like some of these CBs we're hearing...Terrell and Diggs.
very excited for tomorrow nite.